Listening to the CD, I think the sound is great! It is recorded quite loud..normally I have to turn up the volume much more :p the bass is excellent, I have a very good HIFI system I have to say. Can't compare it to the vinyl, might buy it as well as I am a fan of vinyl. Overall, very well produced For me!

Listened to Drones in the car with my parents (who are both in their fifties).

My mom showed some interest in the concept of the album and seemed impressed by the guitar playing in the ending of Reapers and the solo of Defector. They talked through the entirety of Mercy and The Handler and fell silent around Revolt.

Interestingly, after 5 seconds into Aftermath, my Dad went: "Damn, this is beautiful. Sounds a little like Dire Straits." :D When it ended, my mom remarked "Wow that was amazing, they haven't really made a song in this style before have they?" and my Dad was singing their praises. "At least someone's making real music again"

The Globalist was also well-received.

Dad: Is that real whistling? :LOL:

Me: Yeah, the intro's based on a Morricone piece.

Mom: So that's Bellamy doing the whistling?

Me: I'm pretty sure it is.

Mom: He really can do everything, can't he?

Around two minutes -

Dad: That's it, I'm getting myself a copy of this album. :LOL:

Mom: This is a relaxing listen.

Dad: I know right? The guitar tone is very Zen, it reminds me a little of dolphin calls. :stunned:

When the heavy section began -

Mom: Whoa, guitar battle. So what's happening now in the story?

Me: Eh... the protagonist has become a dictator, and he's nuking everybody. This is the countdown.

We got home with still 4 minutes to go in The Globalist, so Mom told Dad to not turn off the engine because she really wanted to hear the rest :D

:LOL: Your parents are cool. People of all ages like good music. Ther's still hope for the humanity! :LOL:

I love it that some people actually believe that matt came up with an actual story for this. it's still the same... some vague idea being thrown around throughout the album. repeating the word "drones" in every song doesn't make it a concept album. god, it's SO bad...

I always thought The Resistance was a semi-concept album, even if it is basically 1984 with Exogensis as a coda of world evacuation bolted on.

In terms of this one, I don't think its helped by the reported line that Mutt told Matt "Keep the lyrics simple", which means it loses a lot of things that keeps it air-tight. Its not lyrically disparate like most Muse albums are, and if you fleshed it out (not least if they're mad enough to make it into a musical, as Chris suggested they might), it could synchronise up very nicely. But lyrically, its a bit underdone.

I love it that some people actually believe that matt came up with an actual story for this. it's still the same... some vague idea being thrown around throughout the album. repeating the word "drones" in every song doesn't make it a concept album. god, it's SO bad...

I don't agree. He's done numerous interviews over the years which show that he is very politically aware, and well-read. Drones and warfare are hardly 'vague' ideas.

Perhaps you'd prefer the endless mindless pap of 'lurve' and 'heartbreak' (yawn). Or the mysogyny of some rock and rap.

So how about making Drones a musical?! :awesome:

I am disapointed :D

I hate musicals

well almost since we have the rocky horror picture show and pick of destiny

but srsly musical singing is the ruining ones voice and worth and they are fine with that?

T___T

This used to be a band who created exogenesis symphony and now a musical?

Oh and my mail somehow put the warner mails into spam? -..- I HAD THIS ALBUM SINCE FRIDAY

Except he did come up with a story and it's ridiculously easy to follow.

My mom showed some interest in the concept of the album and seemed impressed by the guitar playing in the ending of Reapers and the solo of Defector. They talked through the entirety of Mercy and The Handler and fell silent around Revolt.

Interestingly, after 5 seconds into Aftermath, my Dad went: "Damn, this is beautiful. Sounds a little like Dire Straits." :D When it ended, my mom remarked "Wow that was amazing, they haven't really made a song in this style before have they?" and my Dad was singing their praises. "At least someone's making real music again"

Around two minutes -

Dad: I know right? The guitar tone is very Zen, it reminds me a little of dolphin calls. :stunned:

Me: Eh... the protagonist has become a dictator, and he's nuking everybody. This is the countdown.

We got home with still 4 minutes to go in The Globalist, so Mom told Dad to not turn off the engine because she really wanted to hear the rest :D

That's so cool. My parents are also in their fifties, and are huge Muse fans. I am so proud of this. :D I promised that I would buy tickets for them so that we can go together to the concert, if they come to Serbia again. :)

That's so cool. My parents are also in their fifties, and are huge Muse fans. I am so proud of this. :D I promised that I would buy tickets for them so that we can go together to the concert, if they come to Serbia again. :)

Aww that's sweet :3

Around two minutes -

r/thathappened

I like what Matt says about the closing track in the interview, about how it's sort of an elegy to those who were killed by drones, and the ghosts telling that story. It does make it more haunting. And the way it's done in the style of Renaissance-type harmonies, which involved the whole age of discovery and invention, it's like the message is that we've come too far to a point where we can't find a balance between our technological advancements and morality. Our inventions and advancements came from an innocent enough place but we've come to a point where we can't really control it. I don't know.