Regardless of how I will perceive Revolt in the future, if I didn't force myself to relisten some songs I wouldn't have the broad music taste that I have now.

Yeah I remember someone saying on here a while back that music shouldn't be hard work, but some things just dont click on the first few listens. Radiohead is the best example I can think of, I think I have appreciated maybe 4 or 5 songs from them after the first listen, the rest took patience and repeated listenings, there's just too much going on. I find that it's that kind of music becomes my favourite in the end though.

Having said all that, I'm in double figures on Revolt plays now and if anything, it's starting to sound worse. Like, a lot worse. Initially I didn't think it was all that bad, but I just can't get over the "you can grow" backing vocals and the goofy guitar build up to the chorus. Makes me wonder what Matt hears when he is done with a track like that. :confused:

Right I'm digging The Handler more now. Really like Matt's singing in it!

I'm shocked it's taken you this long to be honest :LOL: One of the darkest, most instantly accessible songs Muse have done in a while I think.

I'd like to think this is what's happened. I have the guitar riff, the falsetto verse vocals and the chorus stuck in my head, so it's doing a good job.

I've had it stuck in my head all day

Right I'm digging The Handler more now. Really like Matt's singing in it!

His vocals in that are staggeringly good to listen to imo. Almost don't care about the instruments haha

I'm a few listens in now, and I am seriously confused how people are loving Defector and hating Revolt. I just do not get it at all. Defector's chorus is annoying as hell with those vocals.

Revolt is just your typical pop-rock song ala The Killers... not great, but I can't quite get how it's so detested.

I'm a few listens in now, and I am seriously confused how people are loving Defector and hating Revolt. I just do not get it at all. Defector's chorus is annoying as hell with those vocals.

Revolt is just your typical pop-rock song ala The Killers... not great, but I can't quite get how it's so detested.

I'm on your level, Defector still hasn't grown on me much, defo the worst track imo

The narrator is never the handler. He clearly sings "you are my handler".

Are you being sarcastic or did you misunderstand what I was saying? I meant no one goes from such a dark place and then immediately gains the confidence displayed in Defector.

Are you being sarcastic or did you misunderstand what I was saying? I meant no one goes from such a dark place and then immediately gains the confidence displayed in Defector.

I actually sort of agree with you on this. I think the transitions of the character are incredibly fast, I for one would have been much more comfortable with an entire album detailing his sinking to the pits of humanity, fighting, and then ending with a revelation or something. Then perhaps a second album detailing his struggle to rise and eventual overthrowing of the enemy. Probably isn't as difficult or time consuming as it sounds tbh, double albums are always floating around and if RHCP could do it then there's hope. Would just require more song writing

I assumed you meant the role of the narrator, because I thought it was obvious that this isn't a live process. We don't follow the narrator for like 38 minutes. What's basically happening is that he's becoming aware of all these dark forces that work around him, and eventually he tries to oppose them. Would be really boring if we had tracks inbetween where the narrator was slowly turning into the defector. Would have needed like 10 songs.

I actually sort of agree with you on this. I think the transitions of the character are incredibly fast, I for one would have been much more comfortable with an entire album detailing his sinking to the pits of humanity, fighting, and then ending with a revelation or something. Then perhaps a second album detailing his struggle to rise and eventual overthrowing of the enemy. Probably isn't as difficult or time consuming as it sounds tbh, double albums are always floating around and if RHCP could do it then there's hope. Would just require more song writing

I was thinking the same thing. The narrator in Drones didn't even hit rock bottom or fall apart :stunned: