My least favourite songs of the album are Mercy and Revolt, which is weird because I usually like Muse's pop songs. But I don't find these catchy, the melodies are boring to me.

The rest I like, or has the potential to grow on me (I don't really 'get' the Aftermath and the Globalist yet)

It seems like people are forcing themselves to like revolt

with Muse songs, I always force myself to relisten to them, just in case they make sense a bit later. There's only a few songs that haven't done so in my experience, and most of them have been post BHAR (Guiding Light, NSC, Explorers). Hell, I even started off disliking Futurism and MC but they're in my top 5 nowadays

It seems like people are forcing themselves to like revolt

Seems like Revolt is forcing people to like it, more than. Sounds like it's pretty catchy?

Like the song actually titled Drones :p because you know like, that makes so much sense.....

Yeah, involves reading too many interviews, but Matt called Drones the voices of the ghosts of thousands of people who had died and would never see justice (and also referred to it as part of The Globalist.)

I thought that was pretty cool.

with Muse songs, I always force myself to relisten to them, just in case they make sense a bit later. There's only a few songs that haven't done so in my experience, and most of them have been post BHAR (Guiding Light, NSC, Explorers). Hell, I even started off disliking Futurism and MC but they're in my top 5 nowadays

Same here.

I remember I also didn't like Apocalypse Please or Sing For Absolution on first listen

So far I'd say it might be better than TR, Showbiz and T2L, but none of the others. It might fall even further down for me, but I doubt it'll get any higher.

I feel the exact same way.

Funny enough, I think the album would have gotten a much better reception around here if the majority of the first half wouldn't have been spoiled. Had I heard Reapers and the Handler on my first listen of the album I probably would have been more hyped to listen to the second half.

What I don't understand is why people use the idea of a "concept album" to justify songs that may not be good on their own.

Songs need to be able to hold up on their own regardless of their context, that's the whole point of making separate songs and not one 40 minute song.

Drones is a failure on its own. It doesn't matter if it fits into the album or not. It's bad as a song. The other songs on the album can be listened to on their own so that complaint is only aimed towards Drones.

And in regards to Drones being a concept album, it doesn't even feel like it due to the fact that it just doesn't flow. AT ALL. I get the idea that the narrator is undergoing some changes, but it sounds like a completely different narrator in every song/every few songs. Even if the narrator did do a 180 and completely turn his life around, where does all that hatred/fear/etc. go? I'm sorry but no one goes from The Handler to Defector.

Drones goes downhill sharply from the end of The Handler. Picks itself up halfway through The Globalist, then says "fuck you" after a very, very promising head banging riff. Then the album whimpers out with the title track, which I will never intentionally listen to again.

5/10 (Because half the songs are amazing)

Worst Muse album so far!

Edited by sonic youth