Well I'll put my review here as well :D. Out of 10 of course (it's all my opinion and only mine :))

Dead Inside - 9 : Love it, feels groovy and yet so emotional, which wasn't the strong point with Muse before.

Psycho - 7.5 : Great riff but a bit repetitive, but I can only imagine that this song live must be awesome.

Mercy - 6.5 : Good one but nothing special to me, sounds like Muse was inspired by Muse.

Reapers - 9.5 : Best one in years (along with supremacy... yeah, I like supremacy :phu:), can't describe how good it is!

Handler - 9 : Hate it or love it, I love it. It's simple, it's rocking, it's strong, it's Muse.

Defector - 7.5 : Solid riff, lyrics a bit strange but I never stop myself at lyrics (or I'd never have listened to Muse in the first place :D)

Revolt - 7 : Well... Yeah, it grew on me big time (first time I wound have given a 2 maximum). I know it's silly, it's not Muse, but it's super catchy and stays in your head, and the verses are actually really heavy.

Aftermath - 8.5 : Really good, totally surprising from Muse. Might have been a 9 or even 9.5 if the guitar didn't sound so much like "One" from U2.

Globalist - 7 : Let me get this straight, it's a good song. Good concept, but I expected more, not something different though, I like it the way it is, but it has (yes, present) all the ingredients to be a 12 at least, but somehow it sticks to me as "the super song everyone awaits but I'll give only 90 percents of creativity".

Drones - 8 : Come on people, of course we will never listen to it again, of course it's not a standalone song, but for what it is (the conclusion of the story of a concept album, told in an accapella choir kind of music) it's brillant !

Overall : 8/10 ! It's all tastes, some of you will agree, some of you won't, but I enjoyed the hell of this album. I don't mind the lyrics but I find it a very good idea to start with and it's been beautifully told by Matt, Dom and Chris (god, those bass sounds, orgasmic!). They would have made the perfect album for me with another song instead of Mercy and given more thought on Globalist.

Albums ranking (here comes the hate : I'm ranking how I feel about the ALBUMS in OVERALL, not individuals songs from albums)

Absolution > Drones > Origin > BHAR > 2nd Law > Resistance > Showbiz

We're proud of you. Still, I heard complains from The Handler about you, it wants to be loved :p

Like I said I don't dislike it, I just don't really love it. It reminds me of Fury, which I've never been a big fan of either TBH.

I am all up for tolerance and opinions but how the actual fuck can somebody pick Revolt over The Handler.

Both 7/10's IMO

What's funny is that you actually think it would have been hard for Matt to just include The Globalist in the main narrative if he wanted. You do realise that he can write the lyrics about whatever he wants? The fact that he hasn't clearly means that it was never the intention, rather than "Oh I can't make it fit".

And that he included personal experience means absolutely nothing. You clearly see songwriting as a very black and white sort of process, when in reality he could have come up with the whole concept all at once and while writing the lyrics for Dead Inside, obviously drawing from some personal experience. It's not that hard to imagine.

Aw, don't get so agitated. People are allowed to disagree with you you know. No need to get so snarky and condescending.

He can write whatever lyrics he wants but what I disagree with is shoehorning them into a concept where they don't really fit. And I don't have to like them either.

I guess this is just a difference in taste between those who like Muse's love song side and their crazy conspiracy side.

Aw, don't get so agitated. People are allowed to disagree with you you know. No need to get so snarky and condescending.

He can write whatever lyrics he wants but what I disagree with is shoehorning them into a concept where they don't really fit. And I don't have to like them either.

I guess this is just a difference in taste between those who like Muse's love song side and their crazy conspiracy side.

I actually like both sides...

Dead Inside: 8

Psycho: 9

Mercy: 8.5

Reapers: 9.5

The Handler: 10

JFK + Defector: 9.5

Revolt: 6

Aftermath: 8.5

The Globalist: 9

Drones: 9.5

Great cohesive album, Matt's vocals and guitar work on this album are superb. The only drag is Revolt, and even then its a grower not a shower.

But you honestly don't think that love songs can fit into a story about oppression? Have you read any dystopian novels at all?

And it really isn't. I like Dead Inside and dislike Aftermath, don't see what it has to do with how I see the album concept.

Well imagine a song about a love conspiracy and paranoia from matt... That'd be wicked

erm... wasn't that Resistance? Or was that simply a love song? I lose track I've got to say

I hated it on first listen, and on the second.

I've heard it 5 times now and it hasn't improved. Quite simply, it blows goats!

yeah there's always that reaction too :LOL:

But you honestly don't think that love songs can fit into a story about oppression? Have you read any dystopian novels at all?

It doesn't really fit. It reminds me of that bit in interstellar where the female scientist says something like "Love is the one thing we’re capable of perceiving that transcends dimensions of time and space." It just sounds so out of place.

If love was the key, it would have set him free. The system didn't make the protagonist stop loving anymore, his love stops because he gets rejected and then he joins the system for some vague reason. Love doesn't really gets mentioned until 'aftermath' which seems a bit tacked on if you ask me. For me this so called love story doesn't really fit in with the narrative.

If you look at 1984, love flourishes in spite of the system but is then used to crush the protagonist. That makes sense in terms of the over arching theme of the book.