Oh great now you're choosing which songs do and do not fit into the Drones storyline when it's convenient. Either it's all Drones, or no Drones. I forbid stepping in the middle ground...
Jesus Christ you're stuck up. The Globalist has been claimed to stand outside of the main story since we first heard of it. It's a separate story entirely.

But I guess you're the one who decides that every single song on an album has to fit a concept in order for it to have one.

Oh great now you're choosing which songs do and do not fit into the Drones storyline when it's convenient. Either it's all Drones, or no Drones. I forbid stepping in the middle ground...

No, Matt specifically stated The Globalist is a stand alone story.

The Drones concept starts at Dead Inside where he loses love (I guess you could say) and finishes at Aftermath when he finds it again.

The Globalist, while sticking to the war related theme, is not part of the story

Since we know what the songs are about, we know that The Globalist is a different perspective of the story, it's related but not integrated in the same line than the previous songs. Drones is just a eerie ending to everything

A mixed bag for me, I think the strongest points of the album are up there with some of the best stuff they've done, whilst the weak elements are down there with the worst imo.

Which in fairness, is more than can be said for T2L and The Resistance. (bar Exo perhaps)

I think the main issue, ahead of the poor lyrics and cheese, is the sheer length of some songs, or some parts of songs.

-Dead Inside's end section seems to drag

-Psycho is so long it borders on repetitive

-The Handler (despite being an absolutely stellar track) could have it's solo trimmed. Quite brutally trimmed to be honest. I think it goes on entirely too long.

-Defector could have it's entire second verse taken out completely and work much better imo

-As many have said, The Globalist needs to have that end piano section cut down substantially. I think I will be removing it completely like a few others have stated for future listens

-Whilst I didn't dislike Drones as much as others, it should have been at least a minute shorter.

Jesus Christ you're stuck up. The Globalist has been claimed to stand outside of the main story since we first heard of it. It's a separate story entirely.

But I guess you're the one who decides that every single song on an album has to fit a concept in order for it to have one.

Well yes actually. That's why it's called a 'concept', you don't put bits in that have nothing to do with the concept!

Again, I just think the concept was tacked at the the end rather from being there from the beginning....

Well yes actually. That's why it's called a 'concept', you don't put bits in that have nothing to do with the concept!

Again, I just think the concept was tacked on to the end....

But the concept has literally been specified to a number of songs, and the songs outside of it are...yeah you guessed it, outside of it. It's not "in" it. It comes after the concept part of the album has ended. Or would you rather they just left The Globalist and Drones out of the album?

I think the globalist is part of the story but in a different manner... The whole story is from dead inside to aftermath but I think Globalist (and Drones, which feels attached) is a "potential following", meaning "what if the hero actually revolted too far and became like the opressor he was trying to get rid off in the first place, then realises what he's done". The whole song could then be some kind of thinking about humanity which means that you can go to the "dark side" too, not everything is all black or white... Well that's what I understood.

Well just listened to Revolt in full... verses are rather okay in the end. Chorus sounds like something from a nineties Eurovision Song Contest mixed with the soundtrack of a cartoon. Dreadful. I'd now give the song a 4/10...

try it again some time :) seriously, it might grow on you. I started with 2/10, after about 8 listens I would give it 7/10 or 7.5. I agree the first time is the worst

I know there's a thread for reviews, but this is the main album thread IMHO so I'll post here.

The second half has seriously grown for me since last night. Overall the album has given me at least three songs in my top 20 and (in Reapers and The Handler) 2 in my top 10 favourite Muse songs at the moment (and probably for a while).

Dead Inside 10

Psycho 9

Mercy 8

Reapers 10

The Handler 10

Defector 9

Revolt (eventually) 8

Aftermath 7

The Globalist 8.5

Drones 8

It's definitely better The Resistance, but the songs off the final third mean it falls a little short of BH&R.

Again, I just think the concept was tacked at the the end rather from being there from the beginning....

It definitely wasn't, and interviews before the album was recorded and since it was recorded can attest to this.

The Handler that low?? You not a fan????

Yes and no. I think for me personally is suffers from being in between two of my favourite songs of the album.

Don't think it's a bad song would call it a 7/10 (being generous)

I don't think there is a great deal wrong with it I'm just not 'feeling' it.

I think the globalist is part of the story but in a different manner... The whole story is from dead inside to aftermath but I think Globalist (and Drones, which feels attached) is a "potential following", meaning "what if the hero actually revolted too far and became like the opressor he was trying to get rid off in the first place, then realises what he's done". The whole song could then be some kind of thinking about humanity which means that you can go to the "dark side" too, not everything is all black or white... Well that's what I understood.

Same here, it touches on all the same themes off Drones and works as a continuation from Defector. There's enough precedence for this in history to make sense...

that's a very charming way of putting it actually, I like that

Revolt (eventually) 8

Revolt at 8 haha, excellent! Still 7.5 I think for me

Like the song actually titled Drones :p because you know like, that makes so much sense.....
What's funny is that you actually think it would have been hard for Matt to just include The Globalist in the main narrative if he wanted. You do realise that he can write the lyrics about whatever he wants? The fact that he hasn't clearly means that it was never the intention, rather than "Oh I can't make it fit".

And that he included personal experience means absolutely nothing. You clearly see songwriting as a very black and white sort of process, when in reality he could have come up with the whole concept all at once and while writing the lyrics for Dead Inside, obviously drawing from some personal experience. It's not that hard to imagine.