Well Matt has one explanation for the, at times, awful lyrics. He said in tonights Radio 6 interview that Mutt told him to be more clear and simple so it's easily relatable to the concept or something along those lines

God damn it, that just makes me mad. This is the one issue that kept this from being a great album for me and I knew it didn't make sense for Matt to suddenly get THAT bad.

Hope he starts to at least tighten them up live eventually. :(

Well Matt has one explanation for the, at times, awful lyrics. He said in tonights Radio 6 interview that Mutt told him to be more clear and simple so it's easily relatable to the concept or something along those lines

Well I do agree that the song has to be obvious what it's about on first listen or else the concept falls apart. If you're still trying to work out the meaning after three listens full of metaphors etc. it would ruin the flow in my eyes.

I agree. I'm glad I was warned it was not Citizen Erased 2 before actually listening though.

I took that with a pinch of salt anyway. It was the prog nightmare comment that caught me off guard. I should have known it wouldn't have been as crazy as I anticipated. I expected a bit more metal than just the main riff. Still great. I didn't see it as a letdown when I finished listening, just "I enjoyed that which is what I expected"

Well I do agree that the song has to be obvious what it's about on first listen or else the concept falls apart. If you're still trying to work out the meaning after three listens full of metaphors etc. it would ruin the flow in my eyes.

True enough, just gotta find that fine line then. I love Defector but don't think i'll ever not cringe when I hear that yellow belly line :confused:

Jesus I've been at work for the last 5 hours and freaking Revolt has been stuck in my head the whole time.

I like Revolt, so I just sit here laughing evilly when it gets stuck in peoples head when they don't like it.

True enough, just gotta find that fine line then. I love Defector but don't think i'll ever not cringe when I hear that yellow belly line :confused:

Yeah the yellow belly line is fucking weird :LOL: I find a lot of Defectors lyrics cringe. If Mutt told them to change some lyrics I think this song was definitely a victim. The line "you've got a problem" just seems lazy to me. They could have used something with a better delivery. Saying that, they're much better song writers than me, so who am I to judge.

Really don't like that Mutt told Matt to make it more simple.

Based on what Matt says in this interview I feel like he just looks for something that is somewhat interesting and runs with it, instead of writing things that sound original. I just think he's lost his touch lyrically. I like songs that leave some things to the imagination.

Edited by Matthz

Really don't like that Mutt told Matt to make it more simple.

Based on what Matt says in this interview I feel like he just looks for something that is somewhat interesting and runs with it, instead of writing from his own head.

You're looking into it too much. Musicians obviously have no obligation to take their producer's advice, it's their damn music first and foremost. Everything obviously comes from Matt's own head.

I saw in Twitter that Kerrang magazine gave the album a 5/5 score. Maybe this album will be reviewed better than I expected (not because I'm think it's bad, I actually like it a lot). I'm diying to see the Pitchfork review, it's always a funny reading :happy:

I'm not sure about 5/5 but I'm glad it's getting some good coverage on reviews and positive outcomes! I'm loving it more with each listen! Plus the boys took a few risks on this album...

The way I saw it is that in Aftermath, the war started with Revolt is nearing its end after taking a huge toll on everyone involved, especially the protagonist. He's sort of saying, fuck, let's just get this over with. I need to go kick back with my soul mate. Something like that.

Yep, that's another way to see it. But it seems to me like the "revolt" has failed or it's failing. "You and me against the world", "Walls are rising high again"... It seems to me like he failed, but he, at least, is free from his oppressors. It's like a bittersweet ending :happy:

Yep, that's another way to see it. But it seems to me like the "revolt" has failed or it's failing. "You and me against the world", "Walls are rising high again"... It seems to me like he failed, but he, at least, is free from his oppressors. It's like a bittersweet ending :happy:

I can see that. Maybe the rebellion managed to tear down the drones and handlers empire, but someone became the dictator mentioned in the Globalist, which the "Walls are rising high again" may mean.

I can see that. Maybe the rebellion managed to tear down the drones and handlers empire, but someone became the dictator mentioned in the Globalist, which the "Walls are rising high again" may mean.

The protagonist is The Globalist.

You're looking into it too much. Musicians obviously have no obligation to take their producer's advice, it's their damn music first and foremost. Everything obviously comes from Matt's own head.

I edited my post because I didn't word it right. But someone up there just said that Matt said in an interview today that Mutt told him to make it more simple to understand. Don't think Matt would have mentioned that in an interview if he didn't actual use that advice.