2015.09.19 - MasterCard Center, Beijing, China

polythenelucy

• 2 months later...

1280 RMB Floor tickets for Muse are now sold out according to the official ticket sellers and concert organisers. Tickets will be mailed or can be picked up starting 7 September.

It appears Muse will be the first British rock band and only the second British artist to play this venue after Elton John in 2012. The Eagles played there in 2011 in front of 6k spectators. Beyonce and the Backstreet Boys have also performed at this Beijing indoor arena which has hosted several NBA games in recent years.

Edited by muse s'amuse

• 3 weeks later...

Expecting a sell out crowd at this venue. Only about 100 tickets @ 680 Yuan remain according to the online ticket sellers http://www.Damai.cn as of Thursday evening.

The official venue ticket map shows no more available Muse tickets for sale at any price tier as of Friday evening. Capacity for concerts is estimated around 9,000. Ticket prices for Muse ranged from $60 to $200 converted from Chinese Yuan.

P.S. Linkin Park also performed for the first time in Beijing in July at the Worker's stadium.

Edited by muse s'amuse

Some quick thoughts on last night's awesome gig in Beijing....

- One of the liveliest crowds I've known in China (rivalling Metallica in Shanghai in 2014), most of the (almost sell-out) audience seemed to be on their feet throughout

- Muse picked a great set list: most of the staples, a few good rarities (never expected to hear Animals and Map of the Problematique at this one!)

- Sound wasn't brilliant (it's a basketball arena with pretty poor acoustics), and the local sound people don't have many live shows to get practice. But Muse with half the mid frequencies missing is still much better than most other bands on a good day. Interestingly, it seemed particularly bad during Stockholm Syndrome, which seemed to fall a bit flat for the first time ever.

- Uprising (and The Resistance generally) seemed to be the only real casualty of the setlist restrictions. Was genuinely amazed to see Reapers, Citizen Erased and Animals; many others were surprised by Knights of Cydonia being permitted. Nice touch by Tom to get the screens to zoom in on the local crowd singing "You and I must fight for our rights" :)

- On balance it was probably the right show to bring out Feeling Good; it went down really well. Had been hoping for Can't Take My Eyes off You as well!

- Matt and co seemed on good form, and genuinely taken aback by the crowd response. He got a huge cheer for saying "Xie xie" (thank you) and "Wo ai ni Beijing" (I love you Beijing).

- All in all, one of the best concerts ever in China, in my extremely biased opinion!

Edited by chinachas

Another review courtesy from Chinese fan @jay2ujvr who attended the show:

"Thank you Muse, you really are the Kings of Live. Thank you too for the nice photo and autograph... you rock music with a futuristic, science and technology, psychedelic sense, artistic, etc. In short great , hope more Chinese fans fall in love with your music."

谢谢Muse,你们果然是Live现场之王。谢谢合影和签名 你们太nice 可爱啦... 你们的摇滚音乐带着未来感,科技感,迷幻感,艺术感等 总之太棒了 会有更多的中国fans爱上你们

Not surprised a few Muse songs like Uprising were verboten at this gig. Animals fit in perfectly because of the recent events in the stock markets in China and elsewhere.

Edited by muse s'amuse

Oh and thanks Lucy for posting this thread! I just wish more Chinese kids come and share some report. :happy:

No problem! And same, it didn't seem like anyone was going to post here but yay, got a couple of reports. :p Haven't been on .mu for some months and I still need to catch up with all the posts on Weibo... but it looked like the crowds for Beijing, Shanghai, and HK had lots of energy! Even with the pit seats :LOL: Hopefully this tour leaves a good impression on the guys so they come back soon.

Oh yeah you can watch a video interview here where Dom mentions they couldn't play Uprising or Revolt. Even though Weibo confirmed Uprising was approved!! ;)

http://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/music/article/1862282/british-rock-trio-muse-make-welcome-return-hong-kong-explosive-show

Thank you for linking to that SCMP article - nice piece!

I somehow managed to get myself to all three China shows and I thought:

- Beijing had the best setlist (Animals, Map and SS)

- Shanghai had the best sound quality, and best crowd response

- HK was basically a party, due to being all standing

All great fun in different ways.

Edited by chinachas