Muse BR is not going to buy tickets

Lucas Quintanilha

You guys are being really rough on Dom Anderson, imagine waking up to a ton of tweets complaining about prices and looking up prices for similar bands in a similar venue.

If anyone of importance is reading, please raise the price of US tickets a couple cents to offset the price of playing a gig in areas like Brazil and please play India and Phillipines. We can afford to take the hit. Those guys have been waiting forever.

So basically he woke up to find that he had to do his job.

Just seems weird that they'd go with someone like T4F when Live Nation is an option.

Also Dom is a tour manager, not a business manager. His tweet did not read as dismissive to me, only incredulous and perhaps a first response to an unknown situation. Cut the guy some slack. Seems like he's working on the situation.

Just for the sake of comparison, here are the values for some Live Nation gigs that will take place in São Paulo this year, all prices being the most expensive ticket available:

Slipknot: US$ 165,00

System of a Down: US$ 165,00

Katy Perry: US$ 184,00

Queen + Adam Lambert: US$ 187,00

Rod Stewart: US$ 248,00 (yep, this one is extremely expensive, but not as much as Muse, and it's going to be in a small venue)

It appears the top ticket price for the upcoming Pearl Jam gig is 680 BRL close to what the promoter is charging for Muse. If fans do not purchase these premium price tickets, the promoter will be forced to lower the prices or lose money on the show.

Actual box office numbers for some high profile acts' gigs which took place last year in Brazil by the same promoter:

Artist/Venue/City/Country/Event Dates/Gross Sales/Attendance/Capacity/Shows/Sellouts/Prices/Promoter

One Direction, P9 Estadio do Morumbi Sao Paulo, Brazil May 10-11, 2014 $9,457,730 102,792 / 102,792 2 / 2 $270.27, $90.09 T4F-Time For Fun

One Direction, P9 Parque dos Atletas Rio de Janeiro, Brazil May 8, 2014 $3,826,760 40,087 / 40,087 1 / 1 $269.02, $94.16 T4F-Time For Fun

Eddie Vedder Citibank Hall Sao Paulo, Brazil May 6-8, 2014 $1,660,250 11,495 / 11,660 3 / 1 $358.74, $44.84 T4F-Time For Fun

I've seen more than one instance when previously expensive tickets would be sold by the dozen on Groupon-style websites when the concert date approached. I really hope T4F resorts to something like that when the inevitable happens, since they're probably not some evil corporation that will take a hit just to ruin people's days. Sad that that early entry bullshit would still be valid, tho.

Also Dom is a tour manager, not a business manager. His tweet did not read as dismissive to me, only incredulous and perhaps a first response to an unknown situation. Cut the guy some slack. Seems like he's working on the situation.

Only for the refunds. He seems pretty passive about the silly prices.

I think there is something very, very wrong with those ticket prices. Follow me (no puns intended):

Last year, Muse came to perform on Lolapallooza, and scheduled a very small gig for only 2500 people 3 days before the festival (the famous gig that was cnacelled. I was lucky and got my refund). Those tickets were being sold for about $125,00 (something close to R$350,00, with the currency back then). Even though it was for only 2500 people, it took weeks for the tickets to sell out.

This year, they will perform on a place that has capacity for 50K people (that is 20 times more), with tickets costing two times more! Has Muse became THAT famous in Brazil in 18 months??

All this mess seems to me as a very bad strategy, and I am really afraid the gigs will be cancelled. :eek:

Regarding Pearl Jam ticket prices, they were almost the same as Muse. However, the fan base for Pearl Jam in Brazil is huge compared to Muse's fan base. It makes no sense at all to charge the same amount for both bands in here, unless they want a very empty place.

There's been a significant update.

T4F published a press release regarding the current situation. I will transcribe the most significant parts:

To Muse fans, music fans, and customers:

TIME FOR FUN is extremely excited that Muse has agreed to return to Brazil. They are an exceptional band, and their last concert at Lollapalooza was extraordinary. However, it's important that the public acknowledges that every international artist has their payment made in dollars, and, unfortunately, we all have been affected by the unfavorable exchange rate. This ended up affecting ticket prices. Even so, we have focused on offering various ticket prices. It's important to remember that every student [Note: every student from basic education up to post-graduates] will have a 50% discount. To watch Muse, fans will have access to tickets starting from R$110 in São Paulo [uS$ 34,60] and R$125 in Rio de Janeiro [uS$ 39,34]. But in answer to the fan's questionings:

There will be the possibility to pay by installments on both Muse concerts, October 22nd, on the HSBC Arena; and October 24th, on Allianz Parque. Fans will be able to pay the ticket in up to 3 installments! [...]

They also announced a special 10% discount for 89FM (São Paulo radio station) listeners, and whoever had already bought their tickets will be able to re-buy them with this discount.

We, Brazilian fans, are very glad for everyone who discussed this matter and gave us support. Just knowing that T4F acknowleged the issue and did something for the fans is already a victory, and to be fair, the exchange rate for the dollar is sky high (1 USD = 3,15 BRL), so it's understandable that it gets very expensive to pay international artists. We still won't forgive this 100 USD early entry bullshit, but we can't have everything we want.

So yeah, thank you guys! Now about that Drones leak...

T4F published a press release regarding the current situation. I will transcribe the most significant parts:

They also announced a special 10% discount for 89FM (São Paulo radio station) listeners, and whoever had already bought their tickets will be able to re-buy them with this discount.

We, Brazilian fans, are very glad for everyone who discussed this matter and gave us support. Just knowing that T4F acknowleged the issue and did something for the fans is already a victory, and to be fair, the exchange rate for the dollar is sky high (1 USD = 3,15 BRL), so it's understandable that it gets very expensive to pay international artists. We still won't forgive this 100 USD early entry bullshit, but we can't have everything we want.

It's nice to know that they actually heard us! :LOL:. I don't know if that's everything you wanted, but at least it's an improvement.

I'm glad they're at least trying to work something out with the fans.

Glad to know this. Not perfect, but a huge improvement!:happy:

• 2 weeks later...

Countries with lower standards of living should not have to pay a month's wage to attend a gig. I know, they don't have to, but if you're a hardcore fan that wants to do barrier, you do and that's ridiculous.

If money is seriously that much of an issue due to transportation costs, the band should charge a couple cents extra in places where we can take the hit. We're more than happy to do that, and let's be honest, seeing Muse for $40-70 in the United States is already unbelievably cheap.

70$ for a gig is unbelievably cheap now?

I've paid more for less of a production in bigger and smaller venues. I think they're extremely reasonable for what people are getting and they could certainly get away with murder given their reputation for live shows.

That's only $10 more than a video game on launch day, seven movie tickets and three decent meals at *insert generic chain restaurant* not even accounting for tip which is generally 15% since we allow restaurants to pay $2/hr to waiters/waitresses here.

70$ for a gig is unbelievably cheap now?

$70 is about £45 at current rates. I've paid more than that for arena gigs before. For scale, that's what it'll cost to see Florence and the Machine on their just announced September tour, while it was less than what I paid to see The Killers in 2012, and Arctic Monkeys & Kings of Leon in 2014.

When we're talking about a country where the gig tickets literally cost a month's wages, yeah, it's pretty fucking cheap.

Even assuming the shit minimum wage of my state, $70 is one 8 hour day of work. 1 1/2 or so, if you count income tax.

Why compare it with the brazil price? Of course that one is insanely absurd given their minimum wage. Doesn't mean that 70 dollars for a 90min gig isn't still quite expensive.

I just bought MMJ's ticket in O2 Shepherd's Bush Empire for 27 pounds. They always do longer setlists and put on a great show, bigger band which means more equipment and technicality. Muse at Manchester Academy cost close to £50. There's no question they're asking more than others do. Don't call it cheap because it's not.

Come on, you're comparing

to

?

Looking over setlist.fm, these are tiny venues and judging by their set designs, a tiny fraction of the labor.

Muse has like a hundred people, several stage trucks and they're booking 15,000-20,000 person arenas and even then, these shows aren't that profitable. I'd say accounting for expenses, Muse and *insert band playing tiny theaters* are charging about the same. If they're not cheap, they're reasonable and justified at the very least.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/77190/muse-fail-to-break-even-after-expensive-tours