I think they booed Matt because of some kind of rivalry between cities. They booed when Matt said Malmo, but I don't really know about that...
Well yeah obviously, but that wasn't the point.

Even if some of them are pop singles, they are still all pretty much rock songs so I don't see the problem. Plus there are definitely plenty of heavy songs still

I think playing all of Resistance, Madness, Dead Inside, Supermassive Black Hole, Starlight, Mercy, Time is Running Out in a rock festival is a bit too much, despite we can't dismiss some of them as not rock songs. But casuals in this kind of festival would likely prefer the less-known-albeit-heavier stuff. The whole point of sticking to the known stuff in festivals is that people are more likely to enjoy it, but that is moot in Download and the likes.

They would be better off playing Muscle Museum, PiB, MoTP, etc, instead.

Even if some of them are pop singles, they are still all pretty much rock songs so I don't see the problem. Plus there are definitely plenty of heavy songs still
Madness and Dead Inside really shouldn't be played at the same gig imo. And Resistance should have been left behind long ago.

Most of them have some element of rock to them, yeah. Depending on the festival demographic though, some of it is nowhere near enough. Plus, because some of these songs have been played at just about every gig for 10+ years, they sound tired and forced. Songs like TIRO, Hysteria, Knights, Starlight and PIB are nowhere near as good live nowadays. Even the band themselves have looked bored playing the same old hits at times.

They really need to freshen it up in terms of what hits they play and how many.