The sound at tonight's gig was the worst I've heard of all Muse gigs I've been to. It was too loud and Matt, both vocals and guitar drowned in the rest. It was especially bad during psycho and reapers. Seems like they used the first songs as soundcheck 😰 But damn TaB is such a beast live.

Sent fra min E5823 via Tapatalk

The sound at tonight's gig was the worst I've heard of all Muse gigs I've been to. It was too loud and Matt, both vocals and guitar drowned in the rest. It was especially bad during psycho and reapers. Seems like they used the first songs as soundcheck 😰 But damn TaB is such a beast live.

I blame the 360 stage and where it forces them to put the speakers, and another reason I hope it's gone after this.

Not being able to hear vocals or guitar at a show is a pretty big problem.

Yeah that was my initial thought aswell. But I haven't really heard many people complain from other shows so I'm not sure. Matt did the Bb4? "freedom is mine" in FG in falsetto. Just when you thought that song couldn't be more dull

I blame the 360 stage and where it forces them to put the speakers, and another reason I hope it's gone after this.

Not being able to hear vocals or guitar at a show is a pretty big problem.

I'm almost certain they'll never do it again, which I'm thankful for tbh. I think most people saw 90% of these problems coming (sound issues, dulling the crowds, looking at the bands' backs etc.) so I fully expected it to be a one-tour thing as soon as it was announced.

With Matt's voice being the way it's been though, I'm kinda wondering how many tours they've got left in them tbh.

Yeah that was my initial thought aswell. But I haven't really heard many people complain from other shows so I'm not sure. Matt did the Bb4? "freedom is mine" in FG in falsetto. Just when you thought that song couldn't be more dull

Think he's done that at least most of the times it's been played on this tour tmk.

I refuse to believe that we might be witnessing the very end of Matt's particular vocals, which I think are one of the reasons most of us saw something special in Muse. Please no. :(

That's probs a bit dramatic :chuckle: He's still perfectly capable for most of the current set, it's just the odd bits that he's noticeably struggling with. There's a chance it could be the start of the end though, if his range deteriorates even more over the next few years. We'll just have to see how he is on the next tour. Hopefully he'll get better if they take some decent time off.

Unless they change their approach on future albums to better suit whatever happens to his range, I'm guessing that'd really start to limit what they could play of their old stuff though.

Edited by Jobby

That's still pretty fucking depressing.

Why would they have made such a vocally challenging album if he knew he was in decline, though?

Has really convinced me this was sudden. And hopefully reversible.

Yeah I think it certainly has been rather sudden. If it is nodules though it seems like it really can hit very, very suddenly. Hopefully he's had it checked and made sure there's nothing majorly wrong.

That's probs a bit dramatic :chuckle: He's still perfectly capable for most of the current set, it's just the odd bits that he's noticeably struggling with. There's a chance it could be the start of the end though, if his range deteriorates even more over the next few years. We'll just have to see how he is on the next tour. Hopefully he'll get better if they take some decent time off.

Unless they change their approach on future albums to better suit whatever happens to his range, I'm guessing that'd really start to limit what they could play of their old stuff though.

Sure, the chest voice is still there, but by "particular vocals" I meant that falsetto of his. I'll try and convince myself by saying that quite a few of us were skeptical to worried after TR tour and then R&L + T2L (tour) happened.

I'd like to hear a set without The Handler though, to see if that particular song is the core of the problem.

That's still pretty fucking depressing.

Why would they have made such a vocally challenging album if he knew he was in decline, though?

Has really convinced me this was sudden. And hopefully reversible.

Maybe because they wanted to make the album as good as possible? Honestly, i don't care if some new songs don't translate well live or are in conflict with older tracks.

I don't see the albums as an excuse to tour, i want them as enjoyable as they can be. Sadly, bands don't make money anymore with records but with live shows and that makes a lot of bands think of the studio as a necessary chore to tour and win cash.

I'll go when doors open anyway. I want to hear the support (I can never remember their name!):(

As for Matt's deteriorating vocals being a sign of 'the beginning of the end,' isn't that a bit of an over-reaction? he's getting older and his voice is getting deeper so he can't hit notes that are quite so high. I'll be able to hear for myself in a week's time but I hope this is the explanation and not anything more serious.

Edited by maturefan

It's strange, because I've seen some videos both taken at Birmingham and London and, bar Mercy or Dead Inside, he sounded quite fine to me in comparison to Munich. During The Handler at Birmingham Matt's voice (both chest and falsetto) sounded a bit cleaner and brighter than recently listened to.

I just hope his inconsistance throughout the tour isn't really due to nodules.

He most likely has a team around him who gives him advice how to manage through it the best possible way if that's the case. Although difficult to hear due to the poor sound yesterday but he seemed to be holding back on the vocals never straining or pushing himself more than absolutely necessary. He sounded like having good control through the ending of both DI and TH. Doing "Freedom is mine" during FG in falsetto makes it quite obvious that he doesn't even try to push himself on the higher sustained chest notes.