Who else here likes Muse for Muse? regarding creative output.

gemini6369

Really, though? :)

I love Muse for Muse. I've loved seeing them change over the years and really like seeing how they choose to express themselves in new ways.

This question of "who else likes Muse for Muse" comes up for me whenever I see fans upset at new music. Obviously this isn't exclusive to Muse fans. (But maybe we are more intense about it.) Some people just don't seem to like a band sounding much different from the perception they're used to. So maybe the question is, do you like the band, or just their music?

I think some people forget that the band is a creative force that will never be the same. To me, the beauty of music, and especially what Muse does, is that never-ending expansion, as well as the authenticity of the output. What these guys believe in, and how they respect their fans. I trust they are authentic in what they put out there! They're not pulling this stuff out of their ass.

Just like you can only hear a song for the first-time-ever once, you can only capture a band in any particular creative phase or journey once. And at that, you're still seeing it from the outside. Muse is more than what they sound like to you in a given moment (or album, or year). So it's one thing to not like a new song, but can you still appreciate them for them?

Maybe some fans are wired to look for consistency in their favorite band or seek out the disappointing deviations from what they're used to. I don't relate to that, I love taking it as it comes.

I'm sure many of you relate with me. :)

(As the forum category suggests, I'm here to spark discussion about Muse's "creative output" in general, and specifically about songs if you like...not really trying to point to a specific song here, but you may find it relevant to Drones.)

I see what you're getting at... and on the surface, it's annoying when fans of previous albums seem to always bitch about the new material. Really, though, it's just annoying when they bitch about it to the extent of putting down others who DO like it, and declaring it as shit, or a sell out, when really they just don't like the direction a band has gone in and are upset about it.

I think it's completely acceptable and understandable to not like when a band takes a new direction (or even becomes too derivative in an old one) - after all, that "something" that got you into the band in the first place is obviously tied to how the music sounds and if that changes entirely, isn't it reasonable to not necessarily like that band's new music?

I find it more confusing when fans feel like they have to force themselves to like songs because they "like the band."

Give the change a fair shake, I say, but you like what you like, at the end of the day.

You shouldn't say "I hate this because it's dubstep" for instance, anymore than you should say "I like this because it's Muse."

So, as far as liking the band, or just their music... I guess I would ask, SHOULDN'T we just like the band for its output...?

"What these guys believe in, and how they respect their fans. I trust they are authentic in what they put out there! They're not pulling this stuff out of their ass."

The above quote, in particular. I, personally, try and distance what little I know about artists personally, from their creative output, a lot of times. At least especially when it comes to bands, actors, etc. There's limits of course, and I often fail at it entirely.

I think if I judged if I liked a band (or it's music) on those criteria, I'd have stopped listening to music entirely ages ago.

Do we really know if a band is "authentic" with their music, anyhow? (Or respect their fans, for that matter.)

I'm usually pretty interested in the themes in Muse's music, though, and the stuff Matt Tweets out, and I do like that aspect of the songs, but that's also the area where the band can start to feel a little disingenuous, honestly.

I guess it's not a simple question, and I probably didn't explain myself well. :chuckle:

do you like the band, or just their music?

the band = their music.

I don't have any affections toward the members themselves. And I sure as hell won't force myself to like the crap they put out just because Matt has a funny laugh.

@SerpentSatellite thanks for the thoughtful response, that's a good read. I agree with a lot of what you said and it makes me wish I did a better job at articulating myself.

You're right; I do see how it can be natural not to like the direction a band goes and to feel something when you hear that part(s) or sounds disappearing when they're what got you into Muse in the first place.

Maybe my observations are better directed at those fans you described in the beginning. And maybe trying to find the people who relate at least to the idea of liking the artistic process and unfolding within the context of having a "favorite band." I really like the creative process. Even if a song sucks. (Which is why I say maybe I didn't word myself clearly.)

the band = their music.

I don't have any affections toward the members themselves. And I sure as hell won't force myself to like the crap they put out just because Matt has a funny laugh.

Lol. Well...I didn't actually mean "like the song" if you don't like the song. Maybe I just didn't articulate it well enough.

And definitely didn't mean to suggest something like a laugh is reason to make someone like the music.

Lol. Well...I didn't actually mean "like the song" if you don't like the song. Maybe I just didn't articulate it well enough.

And definitely didn't mean to suggest something like a laugh is reason to make someone like the music.

nah, I just felt like being non-sophisticated. the point is the same though. there's nothing more to a band other than the music they make. if it's shit, it's shit, and having been their fan for a while won't change that.

nah, I just felt like being non-sophisticated. the point is the same though. there's nothing more to a band other than the music they make. if it's shit, it's shit, and having been their fan for a while won't change that.

fair enough