• 3 weeks later...

From an article in italian I quote

A monologue of Kennedy's famous speech at the Waldorf-Astoria 27 April 1961, based on a string and electric guitars, opens and closes the song

source -> http://www.rockol.it/news-644029/muse-drones---recensione?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rockol%2FfRwb+%28Rockol+Music+News%29&hootPostID=5b7508122d787c3ed8c413ba42fc31f4&refresh_ce

• 2 weeks later...
Omg, the strings are a slow, orchestral version of the Defector solo... Love it when stuff like this happens. Reprises and interconnections take albums to another level for me. :awesome:

YES agreed! :D It just adds to cohesiveness and atmosphere :happy:

Omg, the strings are a slow, orchestral version of the Defector solo... Love it when stuff like this happens. Reprises and interconnections take albums to another level for me. :awesome:

Not that great in this case because JFK is practically an intro to Defector like Prelude is to Survival or Interlude to Hysteria, so it's not that big of a reprise, it's just a simple intro foreshadowing the next song in a "hey, this is what you're hearing right next!" fashion. If this same motif —or any other element of the album, for that matter— appeared somewhere else in the album, now that would be awesome.

Not that great in this case because JFK is practically an intro to Defector like Prelude is to Survival or Interlude to Hysteria, so it's not that big of a reprise, it's just a simple intro foreshadowing the next song in a "hey, this is what you're hearing right next!" fashion. If this same motif —or any other element of the album, for that matter— appeared somewhere else in the album, now that would be awesome.

Technically the Defector solo is the reprise of JFK, if anything. I don't actually care where reprises or repetitions occur, just that they do, and it makes things feel interlinked.

Technically the Defector solo is the reprise of JFK, if anything. I don't actually care where reprises or repetitions occur, just that they do, and it makes things feel interlinked.

Same. It really kicks up concept albums a notch or two for me.

What I meant is JFK being an intro to Defector, they are technically the same song. It would make things feel interlinked if the reprise appeared somewhere else like how the end of Time reprises Breathe in The Dark Side of the Moon, but here it just feels like a single song divided in two parts, so saying they are interconnected sounds a bit of a stretch, like dividing any song into 2 tracks and saying one reprises the other one just because they are divided in the editing.

Ugh I hate the guitar bits in this, if it was just the strings/synth it would be so much better. I know it will ruin the idea of a concept album, and the beginning of Defector but I'm going to be deleting this off my iTunes when I get the album.

Ugh I hate the guitar bits in this, if it was just the strings/synth it would be so much better. I know it will ruin the idea of a concept album, and the beginning of Defector but I'm going to be deleting this off my iTunes when I get the album.

um thats the best part