2015.05.23 - BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend, Norwich, UK

Destroya

The crowd were always going to be average at best so I think I would have preferred them to have just gone "fuck it" and pulled out SS, Hyper Music, Agitated or The Groove and ditched Starlight, SMBH and Uprising. In my opinion they're at the stage now as a band where they could afford to do something a bit more ballsy and unpredictable to shake things up at these sort of events. I'm a real believer in pulling out Dead Star or something at these events to pack a bit more of a punch rather than playing it a bit more safe. On the other hand, the Drones songs and Bliss were solid

True that, although I guess they had to cater to the mainstream. I can see them being a lot more ballsy at Download and onwards. That said, this is the most rock they've sounded for ages, the songs seem heavier than ever!

fair points, but I think they can afford at this stage to veer away from the mainstream, they can't really get any bigger or more popular, just look at how fast their tours sell out. Would have been nice if, just for this year, they went full out, all guns blazing and tried to tear up the mainstream for once rather than half heartedly trying to pander to it. They could always return to the mainstream next album or next year or whatever. Or perhaps I'm just feeling nostalgic for OOS and Absolution

I was there, about eight rows from the front with Musesmurf.

My feeling are as follows - no attempt to pull it all together into a cohesive whole I'm afraid. Just random musings ;)

They sounded better at this gig, to me, than they have ever sounded before. I've seen them quite a few times and the general mix here was superb. Bearing that in mind, if I was them, I'd be furious with the BBC for the mix as presented on TV.. My sister and my niece sat down to watch it live knowing how much I love them. A real chance to pull in some new fans, one young. But the mix was so horrible that they gave up after two songs. I watched when I got home and I couldn't believe how bad it sounded. Bordering on unwatchable. Absolute disgrace.

Musesmurf noticed the technical problems with Matt's tones although I didn't.

The projection problems made them look amateurish. No idea what went wrong. Fall Out Boy used projection all the way through their set worth no issues.

The band, particularly Chris, looked completely pissed off all the way through the gig. Dom seemed to perk up about half way through but the rest....... Very poor attitude.

The crowd? Jesus Christ they were shit. No atmosphere, no movement, no knowledge, pissed off with new songs. Not impressed.

The set? Big surprise starting with Reapers and brave to feature four new songs in first five but I'm afraid I think that lost the crowd. I think they should have spread them out through the set more.

Finally, and I promise I will shut up, this may be contentious but......

I am fed up with hearing TIRO, SBH, and Uprising now. Time to vary the sets more. Nothing from Second Law. Are they trying to forget that album exists?

Yeh - this was not my favourite gig by a long way.

However, my partner who is a more casual fan preferred this much more to the Brighton gig - so maybe that was the point?

setlist I would have liked to have seen: Reapers, Psycho, Futurism, Muscle Museum, Dead Inside, Bliss, Mercy, Plug In Baby, Hyper Music, Assassin, Stockholm Syndrome, Agitated

At least that would have been interesting/ slightly controversial. What's wrong with going against the mainstream? Seems to me like more bands should do it

I'll agree with everyone else on here in that it wasn't my favourite gig... but every outdoor stage should have a hill - amazing view.

The crowd didn't know any of the songs, even tiro didn't get a big response. And from where I was (in front of Matt a few metres back) it was completely silent whenever matt stopped singing for the crowd to carry on. I really can't sing but that just made me do it even louder. To all of the songs. On my own. I was also one of the only ones jumping that I could see, until knights when a few joined in.

Overall though, it was good to hear the new ones live again. And bliss was a treat, however weird it sounded...

Also the screens at the sides of the stage showed the editor window at one point, like a photoshop toolbox or something.. didn't get a good look.. wtf.

Last night would have had two mixes. One for broadcast and one for live.

as for the shit crowd, Muse only play songs for singalongs/clapping/the occasional fist in the air, so the reaction's going to be pretty muted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKUZVx9DHzM

Lord knows what's going on in the beginning, and his guitar has a tone that rivals GSK in this intro.

Matteh also used the wrong fuzz in during the first part of the DI intro. And the mix was just off in a lot of songs, which is obviously not audible to them, but still.

Ouch, that was painful to listen to.

Not a bad performance but that white noise fuzz at the beginning...

I've been to Download fest and the crowds there are dull as fuck.

Actually, fair point. The crowd was pretty decent in 2009, but 2013's was a bit dull. Mind you. hopefully there'll be an influx of Muse fans on the Saturday, that'll sure liven things up a bit...

Just watched Reapers, Psycho and Mercy, what was so off about it or was it in other songs?

Other songs.

Matt sounded out of breath on a lot of the others, and held back, for instance on the Bliss falsetto. He also missed a few vocal cues.

There were also technical problems/mistakes, including weird guitar noises/wrong effects, severely glitched visuals, and some really strange song intros.

I didn't think it was THAT bad, other than the mix for the broadcast was clearly shit, and maybe I noticed Matt being out of breath so much just because I was listening for it.

Other songs.

Matt sounded out of breath on a lot of the others, and held back, for instance on the Bliss falsetto. He also missed a few vocal cues.

There were also technical problems/mistakes, including weird guitar noises/wrong effects, severely glitched visuals, and some really strange song intros.

Only took three or four times asking before I got a decent response ayy. What songs had the weird effects?

Only took three or four times asking before I got a decent response ayy. What songs had the weird effects?

I noticed it mostly in PiB and KoC, mainly in the beginnings, and I thought there might have been something off in DI, which I think someone else said was Matt using the wrong effects pedal.