Do you like Aftermath?  

307 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Aftermath?

• Yes
    • Somewhat
    • No

Comments about the video from Reddit:

"Is it safe to say this was absolutely beautiful and that I also cried while watching it?"

"Right now I'm in tears, indeed it was beautiful."

"Wonder if this'll change any ones views on the song."

"Ok, I think that's the best song in the world. And this video just does justice to this masterpiece."

Did this band seriously release another thing that inaccessible to a big portion of their fans...? Or is it unofficial?

I just watched a shitty version with a pop up in the middle of the screen...

And I really don't see what's wrong with it. Does a very good job of conveying the tone and message of the song. Probably took a lot of hard work and love to make.

Didn't use the unholy version of the song that cuts out what's actually good about the song (have I mentioned a hundred times I want to hear the original version where the whole thing was rocky and bluesy?)

As for the "holding hands ends war" thing, that's almost literally how Drones ends... so why fault the video for that?

At least in the video it comes across more like someone who witnesses all the horrors, and decides to say fuck it and make a positive change. Which is painfully naïve, sure, but rather what you wish the world could be like.

I will admit honestly that I'm not the biggest fan of the sing a long ending of this song, and that I think some parts, particularly the first and last line, should have been redone.

But I don't see this song as anywhere near as bad as people make out.

The guitar, and particularly the intro, is one of the best things on the album.

I like the happy ending version of the album, even though I'm such a cynical bitch I don't believe in happy endings.

Or maybe because of that.

I guess it doesn't help that I already think it's by miles the worst song the band have ever done and the only one I genuinely can't stand.

I get that Drones is super heavy-handed and simplistic with it's lyrics/story but, personally, the music distracts me from it most the time and some songs (Revolt, Defector, Psycho) are camp-y enough that, when I do notice it, they don't feel like they're taking themselves seriously anyway. With a video like this though, they're manifested visually and you're kinda forced to focus on it (as well as being subjected to a song that I legit hate). That said, Americana-esque children holding "love, not war" signs while surrounded by doves and a hail of flowers is a bit ham-fisted even by Drones' standards :chuckle: I mean, you'd think it was a parody (unless it is?).

Not having a go at the person who made the video. The only active criticisms I'd level there are that it's a bit too similar to the other ones he's done, goes a bit overboard by the end and feels a bit lazy with how it tries to be touching.

I came to the conclusion that this song just needed to be one chorus shorter. That last chorus. I hate the fact that Matt just has to 'force' his vocals so often. It's like he believes he needs to prove himself in every song. The song is such a peaceful and calm one, and then those overdramatic high notes just kill it. They really didn't know when 'enough is enough' on this album. There are more songs that suffer from this, like The Globalist and Psycho for example.

Drones in general has a repetition issue, but that's not the problem with Aftermath. Everything after the solo is pure early 2000s Pokémon movie soundtrack, it needs to be redone.

And that video successfully manages to taint the good parts of the song with unnecessary cheese. What the fuck Muse.

Did this band seriously release another thing that inaccessible to a big portion of their fans...? Or is it unofficial?

I just watched a shitty version with a pop up in the middle of the screen...

And I really don't see what's wrong with it. Does a very good job of conveying the tone and message of the song. Probably took a lot of hard work and love to make.

Didn't use the unholy version of the song that cuts out what's actually good about the song (have I mentioned a hundred times I want to hear the original version where the whole thing was rocky and bluesy?)

As for the "holding hands ends war" thing, that's almost literally how Drones ends... so why fault the video for that?

At least in the video it comes across more like someone who witnesses all the horrors, and decides to say fuck it and make a positive change. Which is painfully naïve, sure, but rather what you wish the world could be like.

Only thing the video honestly does well is it's a fittingly shit video for a shit song.

Comments about the video from Reddit:

"Is it safe to say this was absolutely beautiful and that I also cried while watching it?"

"Right now I'm in tears, indeed it was beautiful."

"Wonder if this'll change any ones views on the song."

"Ok, I think that's the best song in the world. And this video just does justice to this masterpiece."

And so? What's the problem?

I may not like this track or think is an emotional masterpiece as much as those people do, but I can see why someone could get really emotional in listening through it.

And it isn't a wholly terrible song as many try to make it come across. It isn't innovative or particularly original, but I think if you exclude Matt's voice and lyrics (sorry Bells), you get a quite beautiful instrumental.

Wow, I can't believe I'm defending Aftermath even if it isn't my cup of tea...

And so? What's the problem?

There isn't one?

I found them funny, not saying people shouldn't like it or that they're wrong.

And it isn't a wholly terrible song as many try to make it come across. It isn't innovative or particularly original, but I think if you exclude Matt's voice and lyrics (sorry Bells), you get a quite beautiful instrumental.

I don't think anyone's trying to make it come across as anything tbh, we just really don't like it.

As for the instrumental, it's boring at best imo and the guitar towards the end is actually one of my least favourite parts about the song.

I don't think anyone's trying to make it come across as anything tbh, we just really don't like it.

Maybe not from you, but I often get that impression, honestly, and about many other songs.

And (personal opinion) if the guitar work in the last part is boring, well... then I don't know why the one featured in another orchestral and extremely melodic song like Blackout is praised so much. It's in fact more "linear" and repetitive than the Aftermath one, but just because the song results more emotional (although is incredibly cheesy) it gets literally exalted.

It's a bit unfair to me, even if I love Blackout.

Other than the first and last lines of the song, I think Matt's voice is really great in it.

It will always confuse me that the way those two lines sounds was intentional, though, because they're really rough, and not in any way that conveys a particular emotion, or anything. The last line actually sounds like Matt ran out of breath during the take.

The guitar is pretty magnificent, though, and more so than just the notes themselves, the tone and inflection of what's being played is pretty special, imo

Taking that out of the song (not just in the edit, but in Mutt's alteration of the song) is the biggest tragedy of this album, to me.

Anyways, the video is leagues better than the Follow Me one.

And people widely praised the Redemption one, but the mo was the same; this artists just has an overly sentimental, cheaply sad style. I guess people just liked the other song more.

I am very impressed with the hand drawn methods and all the work that goes into them, though.

And poking fun at people for being moved by something IS a bit poor. :(

And people widely praised the Redemption one, but the mo was the same; this artists just has an overly sentimental, cheaply sad style. I guess people just liked the other song more.

Yeah, that's almost definitely a factor. Though I think it could also be down to the Redemption one dealing with a pretty personal subject that most people can relate to emotionally, even if it is a bit cheap. Compared to Aftermath, which tries to deal with a broader topic like war in a way that ends up coming across as suuuper naive, idealistic and maybe even a bit silly and patronising (to me, anyway).

I think the easiest way to put it is that, if I watched both videos on mute, Redemption would probably still move me. I imagine Aftermath would either bore me or make me chuckle. Can't remember the one for Follow Me but I'm probably not gonna go look for it :chuckle:

And poking fun at people for being moved by something IS a bit poor. :(

Psssh, I do the same thing to my grandma when she cries at cheesy films :phu:

(tho it was mainly the 'masterpiece' claims that I found amusing tbf)

The Follow Me one dealt with two "broken" people who couldn't cope with life until they met each other and had a baby (which helped them find each other before it was conceived.)

I had much more problem with that than this one. This one is a sentimental, idealistic picture of what someone would like life to be like.

The Follow Me one is propaganda for traditional family values.

tries to deal with a broader topic like war in a way that ends up coming across as suuuper naive, idealistic and maybe even a bit silly and patronizing tbf)

And since this line exactly describes Drones (particularly Defector and Revolt,) and every part of TR that had a "political/social" tone... :chuckle: I can't really in fairness hold it against the video unless I denounce my love of Drones.

(Although to my credit here, I've bitched a ton about the chorus lyrics and message of Revolt.)

The Follow Me one dealt with two "broken" people who couldn't cope with life until they met each other and had a baby (which helped them find each other before it was conceived.)

I had much more problem with that than this one. This one is a sentimental, idealistic picture of what someone would like life to be like.

The Follow Me one is propaganda for traditional family values.

Just wait as they discover that the cover of the album in which the track is featured basically looks like a homosexual broccolo. :chuckle:

By the way, I agree that, whilst Aftermath video may look too idealistic and clichéd to some fans, it manages to live up to the emotions, the feeling and the theme conveyed by the song itself.

(Although to my credit here, I've bitched a ton about the chorus lyrics and message of Revolt.)

C'mon! You can make this world what you want!!1! You can revolt, mate!!1!2! You can revolt!!3!

(* raises his arms to the sky with a raptured and manic expression wearing a long white robe with Illuminati symbols *) :D