Do you like Defector?  

328 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Defector?

• Yes
    • A little
    • No

It actually sounds a lot better when listened to as part of the album as opposed to just on its own because the uplifting tone works very well coming out of the darkness of The Handler. The two evoke completely contrasting emotions and in that regard it has merit, even if it's no more than an average song.

you could just Google it.

Well, I've gone for Muse Wiki as probably the authority on all things Muse, but there it just says 'from your inciting'. But I'm sure there's another word in the middle there somewhere, unless Matt's gone for a stutter effect e.g. 'inciti-inciting'.

Well, I've gone for Muse Wiki as probably the authority on all things Muse, but there it just says 'from your inciting'. But I'm sure there's another word in the middle there somewhere, unless Matt's gone for a stutter effect e.g. 'inciti-inciting'.

pretty sure it's a stutter thing for some reason

Matt's been going for the stuttering thing since T2L

Inci-ciciting

SO good omfg rode the tram earlier with this line in my head lol

i LOVE how matt sings this track, it IMO fits the idea very well. He has this rebellious teenager prosody in this track, which really fits the lyrics.

This is a song I really want to like, but I've been having trouble with it.

I agree that it sounds way better in the context of the album, coming right after Reapers and The Handler, than on its own. When that swaggering, headbanging riff comes in after all the darkness and that JFK speech, it really does feel like a "Fuck Yeah" moment.

Too bad that Matt followed the Psycho School of songwriting for this one. "Listen to this great riff I've come up with! Now let's hear it 12 more times." Unlike Psycho, though, this one also has a great guitar solo.

Ultimately, this song is to me what The Globalist is to many people on this board. A potential favorite, but ultimately disappointing. That riff is so nice, but if they could've just introduced a little bit more variety here and there and made the lyrics slightly less cringeworthy, it could've been a classic.

I never understood this. If you don't like it then you just don't... what's the big deal?

Because I really do like elements of it (I really dig the riffs and the guitar solo), but I'm not quite satisfied with how they developed those elements.

I freaking love this song. It was easily my favorite new song the first time I listened to it. After multiple listens, I now appreciate Reapers and The Handler more, so I don't know if I have just one favorite now, but Defector is just so fun and upbeat and fist-pumpingly triumphant. Yeah it's very Queen, but I love me some Queen and I love me some Defector. Can't wait to hear it played live!