Do you like Defector?  

328 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Defector?

• Yes
    • A little
    • No

but why do you need depth? why cant a song just be for enjoyment?

twist and shout doesnt have any depth and if it had depth it would make it a worse song

Oh, and isn't Twist and Shout about dancing? Hardly a theme requiring depth.

but why do you need depth? why cant a song just be for enjoyment?

twist and shout doesnt have any depth and if it had depth it would make it a worse song

because when you label your album with a rather complicated concept, some level of depth is the least you should offer. why is this so hard for some people to understand?

because when you label your album with a rather complicated concept, some level of depth is the least you should offer. why is this so hard for some people to understand?

That feel when, like, that's just like your opinion man. Drones killing people/being controlled isn't that complicated

That feel when, like, that's just like your opinion man. Drones killing people/being controlled isn't that complicated

It is very much so. It's not just about some semi automated machines killing people. It's about the state of not being in charge and loosing control over your own destiny. It's about the loneliness associated with this state and the love/hate paradox that both initiates it and is caused by it. I can clearly see the intention of multilayered meanings and feelings which is what makes me really sad as I really like the idea and intention behind this 'narrative'. But unfortunately unimaginative and cliche lyrics have ruined it.

Yeah, hot chicks are using flying machines to kill random dudes, and cloaked men use brainwashed people instead.

Is not a hard concept, and is dark enough.

Now that you mention chicks, the official lyrics say there's a "babe" in this song that isn't really there. At least not sung by Matt. Really makes it seem like "a certain someone" is the handler/oppressor throughout the entire narrative... :$

It is very much so. It's not just about some semi automated machines killing people. It's about the state of not being in charge and loosing control over your own destiny. It's about the loneliness associated with this state and the love/hate paradox that both initiates it and is caused by it. I can clearly see the intention of multilayered meanings and feelings which is what makes me really sad as I really like the idea and intention behind this 'narrative'. But unfortunately unimaginative and cliche lyrics have ruined it.

What i just said :phu:

Yeah, hot chicks are using flying machines to kill random dudes, and cloaked men use brainwashed people instead.

The Globalist is one song where I find Matt really digs further into the subject. It's not profound writing, but it covers the motives and conflicts of the human side of it all. All the lyrics at that level (at the least) could have made for something closer to the actual game changer we joked about.

I hold what I said back at Psycho's release that it's more disappointing when it's a topic that I care about and find more important, rather than something ridiculous like The 2nd Law's premise.

The Globalist is one song where I find Matt really digs further into the subject. It's not profound writing, but it covers the motives and conflicts of the human side of it all. All the lyrics at that level (at the least) could have made for something closer to the actual game changer we joked about.

I hold what I said back at Psycho's release that it's more disappointing when it's a topic that I care about and find more important, rather than something ridiculous like The 2nd Law's premise.

thank you.

I'll add I've enjoyed concept albums that I don't think delivered their concept as strongly as I had hoped. There's still plenty of other aspects to judge an entire album from, but whatever grows or fades I never get un-disappointed at an album I feel could have delivered more lyrically when centered around a topic. There's a difference when the words are supposed to actually have meaning rather than being a regular album with unconnected songs, or something like Kid A where they're literally pulled out at random.

More related to the thread though, and I guess related to that last paragraph, I like this song. I've been getting into this kind of really simple and direct songwriting. This may not be the best example, but it touches on the energy enough. It's also generic enough I can remove it lyrically from the album.

Does anybody else feel really happy whenever the solo/s kick in?

It's the most uplifting thing they've ever done I think

Aye, I can picture Ed Snowden or any whistle blower with this song. Finally releasing documents about NSA/ or Government abusers to the public. Relief, and at ease with his/her conscience. Think the solo captures that.