Do you like Defector?  

328 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Defector?

• Yes
    • A little
    • No

"Inciting" and "society" are in there...

I don't think I like this one. I think it's too repetitive, and unfortunately it gives the impression that I've already heard the whole damn thing from the Making Of. Which I now dearly wish I hadn't watched.

But yeah, that's not my favorite vocal styling in the first place, and just too little variation, maybe.

"Inciting" and "society" are in there...

I don't think I like this one. I think it's too repetitive, and unfortunately it gives the impression that I've already heard the whole damn thing from the Making Of. Which I now dearly wish I hadn't watched.

But yeah, that's not my favorite vocal styling in the first place, and just too little variation, maybe.

for me the best part is the bass, you've really got to let this one sink into your head to enjoy it imo

Have listened to it once, and to be honest, I didn't really like it. Will listen to it some more, but I tought this song was kinda 'annoying'.

yeah I thought that for the first 6 or so listens, couldn't stand it

I'm just curious, what don't people like about it? It's got the elements of a good Muse song: good bass, good guitar, good vocals, good melody, straddles the line of pop and metal...

For me lyrical delivery. It's a bit repetitive but it's ok, not amazing but better than filler.

I think Defector is more of a grower then a shower if you know what I mean.

Let's be honest, the lyrics this album have been awful at times, but the general medody etc. have been great.

Having said that the Defector, while it may have Queen like vocals, it isn't too overpowering to the overall Muse-ness of the song.

I'm just curious, what don't people like about it? It's got the elements of a good Muse song: good bass, good guitar, good vocals, good melody, straddles the line of pop and metal...

I really enjoy it, but I can totally understand why people don't like it

i really cannot understand the criticism of the vocals.

I come form the Kurt Cobain school of song writing, if words sound good thats why i use them and by thats how i feel this song goes. Nothing sounds out of place.

And why can't things be simple? why does everything have to have some deep meaning and be analysed.

I love the yellow bit.

i think people just need to stop analysing everything and just feel the music and this song gets me swaying and moving with the groove, just get lost in the groove! Wow!

Edited by bjmort

i really cannot understand the criticism of the vocals.

I come form the Kurt CObain school of song writing, of words sound good thats why i use them and by thats how i feel this song goes. Nothing sounds out of place.

And why can;t things be simple? why does everything have to have some deep meaning and be analysed.

I love the yellow bit.

i think people just need to stop analysing everything and just feel them music and this song gets me swaying and moving with the groove, just get lost in the groove! Wow!

Just because I'm critiquing the vocals and lyrics doesn't mean I hate the song -- I do enjoy it and it's fun! But some depth would be nice. That's all.

Just because I'm critiquing the vocals and lyrics doesn't mean I hate the song -- I do enjoy it and it's fun! But some depth would be nice. That's all.

but why do you need depth? why cant a song just be for enjoyment?

twist and shout doesnt have any depth and if it had depth it would make it a worse song

The vocal delivery during the verses is so cringy though.

"But you're wrooohooooohooooong." Ugh

you say cringey i say it is loose and raw. its a matter of how you look at it. The whole sing has this whole loose and free feel which reflects the whole defecting idea i guess if you wanna over analyse. kinda reminds me of the space dementia verses in a way

you say cringey i say it is loose and raw. its a matter of how you look at it. The whole sing has this whole loose and free feel which reflects the whole defecting idea i guess if you wanna over analyse. kinda reminds me of the space dementia verses in a way

I get that, but it sounds so... unnecessary? I don't know, feels like it doesn't fit with the feel of the verse at all: very toned down as compared to the chorus, only a slow bassline and simple drums.

I find it hard to explain :LOL: