Do you like Defector?  

328 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Defector?

• Yes
    • A little
    • No

This is an appropriate level of Queen influence.

This. Mercy also appropriate levels too. I like it when Muse show their love for Queen this way as compared to I've Got To Break Free of Madness .

Some people don't even realize that one of the most obvious Queen-influenced songs by Muse, is also one of their heaviest: Assassin. That vocal track.

Not a really great track but still good. As some of you said, this is the right amount of Queen influence for a Muse song (in fact, IMHO the very right amount of Queen influence in a Muse song is none).

This has probably been asked but what on earth is Matt on about when he says "your mind has turned green, and your belly is yellow"?

Is that meant to mean something? Does his handler have a green mind? (I.e. Cares about recycling and other environmental matters?)

This was the one I was most looking forward to after seeing the leaked video. The Queen-esque vocals ruin it. I cringe when I hear them in any song, and it was something I'd hoped they left behind in the Resistance/2nd Law era. Hopefully it'll sound better live.

This has probably been asked but what on earth is Matt on about when he says "your mind has turned green, and your belly is yellow"?

Is that meant to mean something? Does his handler have a green mind? (I.e. Cares about recycling and other environmental matters?)

Isn't yellow belly slang for coward? Green mind could mean jealousy

This was the one I was most looking forward to after seeing the leaked video. The Queen-esque vocals ruin it. I cringe when I hear them in any song, and it was something I'd hoped they left behind in the Resistance/2nd Law era. Hopefully it'll sound better live.

I agree with the Queen stuff now, I really don't like it any more haha. Really hope they grow out of it, especially since there were some great moments on this album that didn't have the Queen thing stamped all over them

Just to echo what I posted on Reddit (fully expecting hatred and downvotes there)... but I think Defector is the worst song on an excellent album .

It just goes round and round in circles without evolving at all — it's way more repetitive than even Psycho was.

And the verses are completely tuneless. The lowest lyrical and vocal point on the album is the "your belly's yellow" verse.

The song's saving grace is the admittedly excellent guitar solo. It's damn good... That said, I HATE the second part of the solo (from 3:05 to 3:25); it comes completely out of nowhere and just sounds like Matt had no idea what to do with his guitar for 20 seconds. Thank god the good portion of the solo comes back at the end of the song again.

So yeah, hate me if you want. I really like every other song on this album. Including Revolt. I think I'd rate every song 8/10 or above, except Psycho (7/10) and Defector (5/10).

Go on then, let me have it :p

Just to echo what I posted on Reddit (fully expecting hatred and downvotes there)... but I think Defector is the worst song on an excellent album .

It just goes round and round in circles without evolving at all — it's way more repetitive than even Psycho was.

And the verses are completely tuneless. The lowest lyrical and vocal point on the album is the "your belly's yellow" verse.

The song's saving grace is the admittedly excellent guitar solo. It's damn good... That said, I HATE the second part of the solo (from 3:05 to 3:25); it comes completely out of nowhere and just sounds like Matt had no idea what to do with his guitar for 20 seconds. Thank god the good portion of the solo comes back at the end of the song again.

So yeah, hate me if you want. I really like every other song on this album. Including Revolt. I think I'd rate every song 8/10 or above, except Psycho (7/10) and Defector (5/10).

Go on then, let me have it :p

I am LITERALLY on your side with everything you've just said. The only thing I will say is that it's grown on me a bit, so I would give it 6/10. But what you said is spot on imo. I just find it a bit boring and the Queen vocals are hideous

It's what Survival should have sounded like. It's a fun track and would have been ok as an album track if didn't betray the nose dive in quality that marks the second half of the album. It marks a distinct change in tone which doesn't given the supposed 'concept' of the album...