Do you like The Handler?  

603 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like The Handler?

• Yes, yes, yes!!
    • Maybe
    • Nope

Maybe the damn solo is so damn long his mind just starts to wander...

He probably regrets writing it, now. :LOL:

lol how is it long?? it just needs that double bass drumming. damn, that'd be ace.

Maybe "long and repetitive" is what I meant. Length wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't just the same damn thing with no build up or variation, for like a whole minute or so.

I only get a few seconds into it now before I'm thinking about, like, funny dog videos and tacos.

He'd be fine with the solo if he stood still and concentrated on it :LOL:

oh, this guy <3

Maybe "long and repetitive" is what I meant. Length wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't just the same damn thing with no build up or variation, for like a whole minute or so.

I only get a few seconds into it now before I'm thinking about, like, funny dog videos and tacos.

i kinda feel like it makes sense in the context of the song though, kind of like how reapers solo is supposed to hint at bombs dropping - the handlers solo is frantic and has a whirly phaser effect going on to signal the change in the "protagonist" no longer willingly being controlled by the handler

or i'm talking utter shite and just enjoy being able to play along with it for some "impressive" one hand guitar wankery

i kinda feel like it makes sense in the context of the song though, kind of like how reapers solo is supposed to hint at bombs dropping - the handlers solo is frantic and has a whirly phaser effect going on to signal the change in the "protagonist" no longer willingly being controlled by the handler

or i'm talking utter shite and just enjoy being able to play along with it for some "impressive" one hand guitar wankery

That's probably exactly what Matt was thinking when he wrote it. Both. :chuckle:

I think the length is relative. Psycho drags around its sludgy riff for a while to represent brainwashing, while the repetitive solo represents unbrainwashing, it's probably meant to give you a sense of "phew it's over" when it ends.

There's a few other parallels between the two songs as well so it makes sense conceptually.

I think the length is relative. Psycho drags around its sludgy riff for a while to represent brainwashing, while the repetitive solo represents unbrainwashing, it's probably meant to give you a sense of "phew it's over" when it ends.

There's a few other parallels between the two songs as well so it makes sense conceptually.

^This.

The Handler is strictly related to Psycho, regarding the lyrics.

"Someone who'll kill on my command / And ask no questions" --> "I will execute your demands"

"Your mind is just a program..." --> "I have been programmed to obey"

"Your ass belongs to me, now" --> "You will never own me again"

And so on. These are the first examples that have come in my mind.

^This.

The Handler is strictly related to Psycho, regarding the lyrics.

"Someone who'll kill on my command / And ask no questions" --> "I will execute your demands"

"Your mind is just a program..." --> "I have been programmed to obey"

"Your ass belongs to me, now" --> "You will never own me again"

And so on. These are the first examples that have come in my mind.

actually before it was even released matt confirmed the 3rd verse/ interlude directly relates to the song Showbiz from the 1st album, and as far as i am aware they haven't said anything regarding the handler's and psycho's lyrics being related other than being a part of the same story which is obvious

actually before it was even released matt confirmed the 3rd verse/ interlude directly relates to the song Showbiz from the 1st album, and as far as i am aware they haven't said anything regarding the handler's and psycho's lyrics being related other than being a part of the same story which is obvious
Not sure what needs to be said. They're both about the same person in a linear story, so obviously the lyrics are referencing what has happened previously in the story.

Psycho's length doesn't really bother me anymore. It might've been a bit more endearing if it'd been kept short and sweet like it was meant to be, but it's fun as fuck so I don't mind.

I've gotten used to The Handler's solo/bridge length as well.

I always envisioned the solo in The Handler as the protagonist fighting their way out, and then Defector and Revolt was the protagonist inciting a revolution amongst other brainwashed people.

Not bad, not bad at all.

EDIT: oh, is that you? Didn't mean to be mean. Cool cover! :D

you're right though. It's a bitch to play. mainly because it gets boring after a few repeats :D

Why is this thread active with debates of extremely obvious things that were obvious months ago...

Because unfortunately, life must go on even without Mr. Citizen_Eraser here to lead discussion ):

This song released a year ago in a few days. So after all the dust has settled and the hype has died down...IMO it still stands as a top 5 best Muse songs of all time. Without question.

Didn't think I'd be saying that about any song on this album pre-release.

For me, The Handler is the best song of Drones. It'special. It is Muse' sound. And it's amazing live. :LOL::LOL:

I don't think I'd put it in a top 5 best Muse songs, although it'd be really difficult for me to do a top 5, tbh

I consider it the best off Drones, and it's amazing live :love: