K, so he either uses triggered drums, trigger pads or the ribbon crasher. Which is it (are there any live SBH videos)?

EDIT: Having just watched the TOTP video I'd say that the rim of his floor tom has got a trigger in it

Also I think the snare is triggered in SMBH aswell

That's infeasible. He uses triggering, not a trigger pad, a triggered percussion sound. A module is mounted onto the hoop or tension rod and senses when the head is struck, issuing a signal to the controller.

http://forksdrumcloset.com/zc/images/red-shot.jpg

They're used alot by speed metal drummers who play so fast they're unable to get enough volume to activate most microphones.

That's infeasible. He uses triggering, not a trigger pad, a triggered percussion sound. A module is mounted onto the hoop or tension rod and senses when the head is struck, issuing a signal to the controller.

http://forksdrumcloset.com/zc/images/red-shot.jpg

They're used alot by speed metal drummers who play so fast they're unable to get enough volume to activate most microphones.

Well, trust Niles to know it ;)

That looks quite interesting. Although I wouldn't say the SMBH shaker thing counts as speed metal :LOL:

He does something similar on Starlight, i think, because he seems to be hitting for the floor tom, but it doesn't sound like it. Can anybody shed light on this?

he is hitting his floor tom :\

K, so he either uses triggered drums, trigger pads or the ribbon crasher. Which is it (are there any live SBH videos)?

DEFO not the ribbon crasher.

From where i was standing at the SMFG, i was right infront of dom - he was hitting below that - either the rim of his bass drum/the rim of his floor tom/the floor tom.

now either A) there was a pad mounted there which i couldnt see....or it was B) one of those things that you showed us mounted to the bass drum/floor tom.

Im currently scowering the SMFG video of SMBH and you cant see that much...lol

There isnt a visible PAD under his rhythm crasher - so it must be one of those things Niles showed us - most probably mounted onto his floor tom

(tho by looking at the video - it looks as tho he's hitting the boom stand used for holding his rhythm crasher :confused:)

Woaahh there - unless anyone definately knows otherwise i think your all making too much of this..

1stly I have never seen dom using acoustic triggers -im fairly sure he doesnt...could be wrong

2nd im 100% certain there is a backing track to smb - (and just about every other muse song nowadays) Ive been informed that it is dom that triggers these tracks through a trigger pedal next to his hats pedal. the sequencer it triggers starts the backing with an 8 bar safety.

Now if you look at what he plays in smbh its basically underlining the preprogrammed percussion on the track...basically clicking the rims of floor tom for pulse and emphasising the bass drum pattern....now he cant be triggering that shaker/white noise sound because that all clearly continues when he switches to the heavier bit and plays crotchets on his right hand crash (the heavy dance rhythm) and also when he switches to hats during the 2nd half of verse. For him to be playing whats on backing is unfeasable if you consider what the triggers would have to be set to, combined with changes that would have to be made to the electronic sounds during the song..its a drum machine.. + all live performances of these sounds have been identical in every way to the recorded song, so its obviously been pre recorded.

Starlight is just on the floor tom yes - echoing the bass part really..

Now if you look at what he plays in smbh its basically underlining the preprogrammed percussion on the track...basically clicking the rims of floor tom for pulse and emphasising the bass drum pattern....now he cant be triggering that shaker/white noise sound because that all clearly continues when he switches to the heavier bit and plays crotchets on his right hand crash (the heavy dance rhythm) and also when he switches to hats during the 2nd half of verse. For him to be playing whats on backing is unfeasable if you consider what the triggers would have to be set to, combined with changes that would have to be made to the electronic sounds during the song..its a drum machine.. + all live performances of these sounds have been identical in every way to the recorded song, so its obviously been pre recorded.

On all the performances I've heard the shaker does not continue. If you mean in the SBH clip then... duh, it's a video.

I think what Niles suggested may be right, based on the following two pics I found:

71490276_.jpg

If you look at the floor tom, there's something attached to the rim (above the Starclassic badge). There's also a plug that looks pretty much like the one in the example picture Niles posted, only I'd say this one connects at a 90° angle.

00022292_00002091.jpg

There it is again. If you look closely, you can make out the plug and the cable.

bloody hell! Well spotted mate! 10 points! :D

So that clears it up yeah?

He has a small rim trigger (is it?) Mounted to his floor tom which when he hits the rim of the floor tom sends off a signal to creates the shaker sound.

hmmm that definately is an acoustic trigger - looks to me like a Roland RT 10 T. However I have definately heard performances of this WITH the shaker remaining while hes off the rim - Maybe hes changes his practice now though...who knows...

Also I still cant find any evidence of him using snare/bass drum trigs ..anyone???

+ there is still a backing/click track (especially if theres no snare or BD trigger {although evidently the shaker aint on it!!}) for all the other sounds in the song - theres an outside possibility that morgan triggers them or maps them to a keyboard patch (in fact now hes there that is pretty likely!!!) Would be interesting to know exactly what morgan controls in terms of the backing tracks muse use/used to use...

Speaking of triggers - I think dom used to have a Roland/yamaha pad trigger just between his floor toms, back in hullabaloo days. Anyone know what this was for??? Of course it could have been used to trigger backing tracks, whereas now i think he uses a pedal...

Speaking of triggers - I think dom used to have a Roland/yamaha pad trigger just between his floor toms, back in hullabaloo days.

Pics?

Also I still cant find any evidence of him using snare/bass drum trigs ..anyone???

There's no need, those drums aren't synth, they sound like the drums in the rest of the performance.

However I have definately heard performances of this WITH the shaker remaining while hes off the rim

We need stuff to analyze, a link to a picture or sound file is a necessity.

If you look at the floor tom, there's something attached to the rim (above the Starclassic badge). There's also a plug that looks pretty much like the one in the example picture Niles posted, only I'd say this one connects at a 90° angle.

There it is again. If you look closely, you can make out the plug and the cable.

The first picture seems to look like one, but I believe the second picture is a micraphone. All the tom's are mic'd up along with the bass mic and overhead mic's for the cymbals.

http://www.microcuts.net/gallery/details.php?image_id=5063&mode=search

The first picture seems to look like one, but I believe the second picture is a micraphone. All the tom's are mic'd up along with the bass mic and overhead mic's for the cymbals.

http://www.microcuts.net/gallery/details.php?image_id=5063&mode=search

Hm, I think you're looking at the wrong thing. I mean that black thingy where Dom's right hand is. The mic is a bit further to the right hand side. At least I'd say so.

I don't think so, they sound a lot more electronic.

Ok, I've been dancing around saying this, statement: when discussing a state of fact with regards to, say, what Dom uses to play certain songs, what you "think" is no concern. You must have evidence.

Hm, I think you're looking at the wrong thing. I mean that black thingy where Dom's right hand is. The mic is a bit further to the right hand side. At least I'd say so.

Yep.

Ok, I've been dancing around saying this, statement: when discussing a state of fact with regards to, say, what Dom uses to play certain songs, what you "think" is no concern. You must have evidence.

OK I'll put some sound clips up from a concert later.

EDIT: OK the following clips are both from AOL sessions

Supermassive

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=49D4F3FE025368AC

Stockholm

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=4B8180C975F23183

I think you can hear from that.