ZOMG! I can't believe I forgot: you were the first to own the AARBDR! I love all your rides; the Paragon, RBDR and the vintage Avedis. I'm thinking about trying 2 up 1 down offset for me next kit, how do you find it compared to 2 over the kick?

I won't be getting a Starclassic kit, they're far too expensive for me (I'm doing a reality TV style thread on my drum forum, my challenge is to get a pro quality drum kit for less than AU$1000) and recovering cheap drums to look like like that jaw dropping set of Starclassic Bubingas is beneath me. It's either buy those drums or create my own finish, something unique.

I know they're going to have black hardware, powdercoating may push me over budget but I don't care, the main shell colour will be a solid. The only solid I can stand is mirror chrome, and so it's not a Dom kit I want a circumferential stripe, and so it's not a Wilk kit it can't be a black stripe.

By the way, has anyone noticed that Brad Wilk can't keep time? I'm listening to Grand Olympic (earlier I was watching Live In Cuba), not only did it just reconfirm how much I dislike the Tama Bell Brass snare, but it illustrated that he cannot keep time though a basic groove (his stock in trade) just after doing a childishly simple fill.

I won't be getting a Starclassic kit, they're far too expensive for me (I'm doing a reality TV style thread on my drum forum, my challenge is to get a pro quality drum kit for less than AU$1000) and recovering cheap drums to look like like that jaw dropping set of Starclassic Bubingas is beneath me. It's either buy those drums or create my own finish, something unique.

I wasn't being serious of course. It's not especially logical to suggest you get the kit I like ;)

And that sounds like a cool plan. Weren't you going to build your own acrylic kit, too?

I know they're going to have black hardware, powdercoating may push me over budget but I don't care, the main shell colour will be a solid. The only solid I can stand is mirror chrome, and so it's not a Dom kit I want a circumferential stripe, and so it's not a Wilk kit it can't be a black stripe.

Ah, I can hear catch 22 knocking on the door :LOL: I can't imagine any colour other than black that'd go well with chrome :stunned: Good luck finding one you like!

By the way, has anyone noticed that Brad Wilk can't keep time? I'm listening to Grand Olympic (earlier I was watching Live In Cuba), not only did it just reconfirm how much I dislike the Tama Bell Brass snare, but it illustrated how much he speeds up in the middle of the most basic grooves (his stock in trade) after a childishly simple fill.

I don't even know who he is...

I wasn't being serious of course. It's not especially logical to suggest you get the kit I like

Oh no I love that finish but if I were to have my pick out of the Starclassics the Performer B/Bs'd be the ones for me. My favourite finish (the tangerine sparkle) was limited edition and they just won't make them anymore.

Weren't you going to build your own acrylic kit, too?

That was before semester started, I no longer have the time, money, space or organization to construct those.

Actually I lie, I decided not to stick with them because I kept making compromise after compromise to try and get them under budget. The abovementions points played a role, too. I also want something a little more versatile than acrylics, they only really have one volume: LOUD.

I don't even know who he is...

Audioslave/RATM drummer.

Oh no I love that finish but if I were to have my pick out of the Starclassics the Performer B/Bs'd be the ones for me. My favourite finish (the tangerine sparkle) was limited edition and they just won't make them anymore.

I see. I'd probably go for the Maples, they seem to be the only Tama series where you can get the bass drum without a tom holder base mounted on top of it. Apart from the Bubingas, I don't like the darkness of the wood though.

That was before semester started, I no longer have the time, money, space or organization to construct those.

Actually I lie, I decided not to stick with them because I kept making compromise after compromise to try and get them under budget. The abovementions points played a role, too. I also want something a little more versatile than acrylics, they only really have one volume: LOUD.

And you'd have ended up not liking it because it couldn't have looked as great as Dom's kit ;)

Audioslave/RATM drummer.

Ah, I see. I hardly know any of their songs.

I see. I'd probably go for the Maples, they seem to be the only Tama series where you can get the bass drum without a tom holder base mounted on top of it.

Sure you can, all Starclassics can be ordered with a virgin kick. All the Tama kits I posted on the last page had virgin kicks and not a single Maple among them.

And you'd have ended up not liking it because it couldn't have looked as great as Dom's kit

Word.

Apart from the Bubingas, I don't like the darkness of the wood though.

Where can you even see it aside from the inside of the bass hoops which are usually finished?

Sure you can, all Starclassics can be ordered with a virgin kick. All the Tama kits I posted on the last page had virgin kicks and not a single Maple among them.

Oh. Well, it would seem their site isn't that informative or then I'm more blind than I thought I was. :unsure:

Where can you even see it aside from the inside of the bass hoops which are usually finished?

Inside the toms of course.

Inside the toms of course.

Woah. That's pretty picky. Coated heads? :p

Well, it would seem their site isn't that informative or then I'm more blind than I thought I was.

It's not, but they compensate by making the best looking drums in the industry.

In my endorsement thread... forget Ludwig, I've decided on Tama.

If I'm playing any kick beat where it's a bit erm... off beat my right hand seems to follow my leg, which is annoying.

Will I just grow out of it or am I doomed to be a terrible drummer forever?

Sorry, this should have been posted here I guess, this seems to be drummer general.

Help:(

Sorry, this should have been posted here I guess, this seems to be drummer general.

Don't worry, just start off with easy stuff and try it slowly first until you can do it, then start playing it slightly faster etc. etc.

It's all just a matter of patience and practicing :) If I tried to play the wrong way around, it'd be almost like starting to play the drums all over again. So it's normal really because you haven't been playing for that long, just take your time.

ZOMG! I can't believe I forgot: you were the first to own the AARBDR! I love all your rides; the Paragon, RBDR and the vintage Avedis. I'm thinking about trying 2 up 1 down offset for me next kit, how do you find it compared to 2 over the kick?

Yep, thats me :D Thanks for the compliments!

I would definitely recommend the 2 up one down offset tom configuration. It allows for the ride to be closer, the toms in a more central position so that you can reach both with the same distance, where as if they were right on top of the bass drum, you would have to reach over to the right more, especially for the middle tom.

Actually, i found an old cymbal stand and put my mounting hardware in it, so now my 13" tom isn't mounted directly on the bass drum. I hope to get a 14" floor tom soon also, so I can do some deeper fills, a la Map of the Problematique

Heres some pics -

tssklc8.jpg

tssktopyz9.jpg

Sorry for the late reply!

You will grow out of it, just try to practice limb independence and one day you'll just be able to do it. Because one side of your body is controlled by one side of the brain you have to learn how to "disconnect" limbs from each other (I believe it actually increses your IQ to do this). The first song after TIRO that I learned to play was The Bitter End by Placebo which is a very simple independence exercise.

H|x-x-
K|xx--
S|--x-

EDIT:

I can't imagine any colour other than black that'd go well with chrome Good luck finding one you like!

I think I agree, I was going to try chrome with a gold glitter stripe like those Bubingas but I can't envisage it being as good as chrome black. I think it'll have to be chrome-black-chrome with black hardware. Brad Wilk's kit has a black sprkle stripe and chrome hardware so it's not a copy. I sware.

In my endorsement thread... forget Ludwig, I've decided on Tama.

GrailKnight.jpg

"You have chosen... wisely!" :D

I think I agree, I was going to try chrome with a gold glitter stripe like those Bubingas but I can't envisage it being as good as chrome black. I think it'll have to be chrome-black-chrome with black hardware. Brad Wilk's kit has a black sprkle stripe and chrome hardware so it's not a copy. I sware.

It's obviously not then. ;)

I'd never go for black cymbal stands though, they looked silly on Lars Ulrich's Justice kit.

You will grow out of it, just try to practice limb independence and one day you'll just be able to do it. Because one side of your body is controlled by one side of the brain you have to learn how to "disconnect" limbs from each other (I believe it actually increses your IQ to do this). The first song after TIRO that I learned to play was The Bitter End by Placebo which is a very simple independence exercise.

H|x-x-
K|xx--
S|--x-

Thanks for that Niles, glad to hear it's a bit of a common thing! I'll work on it :).