my drumemr loves his ride, uses it alot, soudns good though its his style

dom uses hats way more than ride tho id say dosnt seem to like, riding haha

do what i did mate save up and buy cymbals you want one at a time. Those sabian packs maybe pro quality but you cant choose what you want. You maylike say the crash but if you dont like the hats or ride you've pretty much wasted your money.

for 200 you can get some excellent hats, or a ride, or a crash + splash for that much.

if i were you i would save up and get around 400 then buy the hats and ride together at the same time, that way you can hear both played together. but if you cant i'd suggest buying in this order:

#1 hats, #2 ride, #3 crashes, #4 effects.

good luck

p.s. i bough a 18" avedis medium crash at the weekend, bloody amazing!

I'll probably get in trouble if I link my site, but this is how you choose cymbal:

Step 1: Enter music/drumming store

Step 2: Ask for drumstick to test cymbals with

Step 3: Hit every cymbal you find without looking at the label

Step 4: Listen for the ones you like the sound of

Step 5: Buy the cymbals you like the sound of

Step 6: Look at label to see what you ended up with.

I had a Stagg splash and it was great, but then I accidentally broke it by tightening it way too much in my cymbal case. So now I've stacked it on top of a crappy old 10" Sabian Pro China Splash for a REALLY crappy sound that does the job when I practise along with Dream Theatre ;).

When I went looking for a ride cymbal, I ended up with a 20" Byzantine Rock Ride. Cost me $AU300 (call it about 120 pounds in the UK) which is just over half what I'd have paid for the $AU550 Paiste 2002 20" ride I was looking at. It's a great cymbal.

And please don't limit yourself to buying Zildjian, because they're overrated and their quality control has been going down over the last few years ;) Paiste, Sabian, Ufip and Meinl are all just as good - it's all a matter of taste!

And don't play a certain brand just because your favourite drummer does.

Also, Dom is a tops drummer. I've only been a Muse fan for a couple of months, but that's only because I was only just introduced to them a couple of months ago ;). They will have to tour in Australia sometime soon, I have at least one friend who would probably come and see them with me ;).

yeah thats a pretty good guide, i chose that cymbal by being in the back of the drum room as the bloke there was helping someone choose a cymbal and he started playing that one...i was sorting throgh heads at the time and i thouhg i want that...it has the most beautiful stick definitiion, the ping is not lost in the wash at at all. i tried out a number of rides whilst i was down there yesterday including an hhx evolution and each time i was dissapointed with the way the ping was lost, and it just melts into one mass of overtones. it has a similar sound to my soon to be teachers ufip ride.

i would have got some hats first, but i need this ride for my new band, my guitarist dad has a band with decent cymbals (a new beats, 11 paiste signature splash, 15 and 16" istanbul crashes) but the ride i find, sounds rubbish and its a k custom too. so now i have a really good cymbal setup for when we start giggin.

excuse me for that ramble...

Ehh that's alright, I've got a website with several drumming 'tips' that I write up every so often ;).

The worst costly crash cymbal I've ever heard was one I once owned. It was a 14" Zildjian K Dark Crash. Sounded terrible. It hardly 'crashed' at all, it reminded me of a gong more than a crash. Even my 16" Paiste 402 crash that I once had (RIP) sounded better!

On the other hand, some of the K Custom dark crashes have really nice sounds. Just avoid the K range ;).

I'm mostly a Paiste man myself, they 'sing' to me the most. I've got 18" and 19" Paiste 2002 crashes (I hit a shop full of Sabians and one 16" Paiste 2002 crash... I didn't even notice it was a Paiste until after I hit it and went "what the?! That's my sound!)

the 11" paiste sig splash i use is just brilliant, ive never heard a better splash, im hoping to get one of my own one day. the worst crash i heard was an a custom 14" crash which i just though was the most pathetic attempt at crashing ive ever heard. if you ever have the chance try out an istanbul 15" mehmet series crash. it has the most beautiful shimmery crashy sound to it...great for hysteria :)

Unfortunately it's VERY hard to find Istanbul cymbals around here, which is disappointing because I'd love to check them out. I feel like I'm missing out ;).

i like my crashes to have a hint of trash in them, i currently have an 18" K custom crash and a 19" A custom projection but my K crash is on its last legs so i'm currently looking for a replacement.

I need this cleared up!

Does he use:

an 18" Oriental TRASH China

OR

an 18" Oriental CLASSIC China

....preferably with picture evidence....:p

the 18" trash and 20" crash of doom he uses.

i got a china for my birthday i tried them all out and i wasnt too impressed with the fx range, i went for the 19" k custom dark china. perfect blend of trashyness and musicality.

just cause dom's sounds good doesn't mean they all will. learn.

well after much antagonising, ive changed my mind over this new ride...

its a gorgeous cymbal but its just do dark and low pitched, so the shop has offered to swap it for anything else in the 200 price range which was nice of them really. current contenders are a k 20 ride (needs to be ordered in) or an avedis sweet ride, or a paiste 2002 ride, but that latter is a littel out of my proce range, i was miserable unimpressed by the sabians i tried downt hrer including aa's and hhx's rides and crashes. if anyone else has any advice on a rgood all purpose ride in that price range give us a shout.

p.s. i know that creting barker uses a sweet ride and it in know way influenced my desicion, i did exatly what the david partay said and they were the ones that came up tops.

cheers

amdrew

dunno they didnt have any z's

some people think they are a bit too "punk" or something...amthough taylor hawkins swears by them...

argh its a prob cos my local store doesnt have a great selection so i will have to go throuhg them to get the new cymbal...

Ok, my personal bias against Zildjian aside, the Z Customs are poor cymbals. It could simply be the fact that I can't stand cymbals that sound like gongs unless you hammer them with a tree stump, but I just can't stand the Z Customs at all. They're high pitched, they're clangy rather than crashy, and they're too gongy.

But hey, whatever floats your boat?

If you're going to get cymbals that are thicker than the armour plating on a Sherman tank, then make sure they're at least 18" in diameter. Just a quick tidbit - thick cymbals have a higher pitch than thin cymbals. If you have a 16" Z Custom for example (I have heard them), then it's this insanely high pitched crash sound with no attack whatsoever - it's just annoying noise.

I actually recently cracked my 18" Paiste 2002 crash, which has left me quite disappointed. I've replaced it with a 17" Sabian AAX Studio crash (I'll continue to use it when I get the crack cut out). The Sabian has a very similar sound, but is a little bit more sensitive than the 2002 crashes, and they aren't as 'saturated', which I like my cymbals to have. I'm thinking that for the next cymbal I get (when the 18" 2002 crash becomes entirely unusable) I'll replace it with an 18" Sabian AAX Stage crash, and if my 19" 2002 crash cracks, then when that becomes unusable I'll get a 19" AAX Studio crash.

Sorry, I'm blabbering on again ;).

Pearl Dude - I had my eyes on a 20" Paiste 2002 ride before I got my Byzantine Rock Ride. It's an excellent cymbal, and the only reason I chose the Byzantine over it was the $250 difference in price (AU$299 compared to AU$550)and the fact that the Byzantine was close enough to the type of sound I was after to make me very happy ;). I don't really like the sweet rides myself, but whatever sound makes YOU happy!

I liked my 20" Paiste Alpha (Power) Ride very much, it's only worth about half of what you're looking for though.

The Paiste Alpha range is surprisingly VERY good, I like the splashes especially. They're probably the best value for money cymbal range on the market.

Yep, all my cymbals are (Power) Alphas, 14" hihats, 16"/18" crash, 18" china and 20" ride. The 16" crash didn't sound as good as the 18", but they're all extremely good.