Do you like Mercy?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Mercy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

I never understood why bands released the worst album tracks first.

Why couldn't they release a track like Defector, Reapers first?

Because they don't agree with what you think are the best songs+they think about commercial success and appealing to a wider audience? It's pretty much a proven fact that pop is popular (no shit), so releasing the poppiest songs makes total sense.

The worst ones may also be the most radio friendly ones too, so they can release them as singles.

Judging from the clip, Defector could be easily played in radio and it is still way more appealing than Mercy. Even that excerpt is better than all other released songs from Drones.

Because they don't agree with what you think are the best songs+they think about commercial success and appealing to a wider audience? It's pretty much a proven fact that pop is popular (no shit), so releasing the poppiest songs makes total sense.

There are bands who totally don't give a shit about that. Just one example from many: when Billy Talent II came out, the first single was Devil in a Midnight Mass. The heaviest song on the record.

Judging from the clip, Defector could be easily played in radio and it is still way more appealing than Mercy. Even that excerpt is better than all other released songs from Drones.

There are bands who totally don't give a shit about that. Just one example from many: when Billy Talent II came out, the first single was Devil in a Midnight Mass. The heaviest song on the record.

I'm guessing Muse just want as much mainstream exposure as possible for this album while still having less radio friendly tracks on there at the same time, I'd have taken Defector (from what we've heard) or Reapers over any of the 3 released so far any day but I can understand why Muse have released what they have first

Does that mean you don't understand bands who release the poppiest songs?

I'd say the third single would be released after the album and would either be The Globalist or The Handler because hype surrounding them... Can't see how they'd be radio-friendly though.

10 minute long single?

Lyric vid most likely. I hate the font though!

I really like it, loved the Dead Inside artwork too. This album cycle has the best single artwork they've done (other than a couple of the OOS and BHAR ones) imo.

Shame neither really fit the song though, aesthetic-wise.

Hi people, it's been a long time.

Let's be honest, Mercy is not very good, it's not innovative, there's nothing new to it that we haven't heard before. It's not bad, but it's coming out in 2015, and compared to Muse's standards, it's very low.

It reminds me of Coldplay songs, and I hate Coldplay.

I agree with someone who stated it's very similar to Starlight: it is. Had "Mercy" been released in 2006, most muse fans would be okay with it, but it's been almost ten years since BH&R, it's a lack of creativity to dare produce this boring single.

But the global mainstream audience is stupid, look at the state of the music today: it's a catastrophee. Same goes for the movies and the video games: the quality is dropping every single year. There is just one thing exciting this year: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Everything else is garbage. Movie critics are praising a retard film like "Mad Max Fury Road" which is one of the most boring movies I've ever seen (even though the directing is ace).

Matthew and the production know it obviously, and they sadly are making the right choice by releasing this as a lead single. The mainstream crowd will love it. I'm sure it will be more popular than Dead Inside, and one of the most popular Muse songs along Madness and Starlight.

I'm pretty disappointed as I was pleasantly surprised with Dead Inside, which is a very nice track, very different from what they have done, and Matt's singing is gorgeous on that track. I think it might be his best performance ever in a studio. The song could have been better, there's a chord progression absolutely horrendous near the ending (but the main problem is the tone, not so much the chord progression but that tone, wtf was Matt thinking, the tone has nothing to do with those cool other sounds going on in the song) but overall it's a very pleasant surprise. Best song they have put out since The Resistance.

Psycho was okay, although too predictable and easy coming from them, we've known that riff for too long, but I did like the production, the tone, and it amused me to see this famous riff turned into a real song. Not so bad.

That being said, it's still better than 90% of what's coming out today in the music field.

To be honest, my expectations for this album are not very high, I feel Matt is a bit lost and not as coherent as before. He doesn't seem to care as much as he used to. He is to me the best musician in activity in the rock industry, and I prefer that he remains active as opposed to stop doing stuff like some other musicians do, but I feel he's jaded. And I ca understand. This band had it all, they've gone from being an unknown three-piece playing in front of ten people in shady shops to playing huge stadiums.

Matt got older, he got a baby with that girl who isn't apparently the nicest girl around... this kind of crap can change a man. I feel he's been very disappointed and looks a bit jaded. That's my impression, and you can tell this just by listening to their music. Dead Inside, as good as it is, is a great example.

I'm just looking forward to The Globalist to be honest. This is the only song where I feel Matt's been really inspired and onto something. And Dead Inside was great, so, maybe the album will still hold one or two other gems like this.

It's hard to articulate all I want to say. This band could have offered so much more. Like, how do you go from Exogenesis I/II/III to Mercy? Artistically, this makes no sense, except for the cash. They are torn apart between the business side and the real creativity. I thought they had made enough cash to rest til their old days and even provide to their children. Why not make a 100% crazy and artistic album? Follow the path you showed us with Exogenesis, don't go back and produce dead shit like Starlight.

I wish they'd have more ambition and craziness and go all-out. Hopefully, the Globalist will shut me up and I will listen to it non-stop for 6 months.

Final thing I have to say: the setlists. I was surprised that they FINALLY started to play more b-sides and obscure tracks. But godammit, why did it take so damn long... I listened to Futurism recent performances, and while it's okay... they really should take their old gear back. It sounds too produced. This is supposed to be live performance, don't use so much backtracks. Stop using Morgan, it just doesn't sound authentic.

You know, I was a huge fan back when I was 18/19, 10 years ago. I dreamt they would play tracks like "Eternally Missed", or even "Exo-Politics". Back when it was hot.

Every show I've been to was disappointing (except the first ones around 2001-2003. It began to disappoint in 2004 and on). I saw them 12 or 13 times I think, in the span of 10 years. I haven't been to a show since 2010 because I felt it was a let-down every time. They held onto the singles too much.

Now, they bring back rare tracks, like Matt has finally got it. Then, play them at every show. Fuck the mainstream audience. Stop playing endless setlists filled with singles. Play like 1 or 2 singles, and the rest: do whatever you want, play the songs you feel are the right choices, not what the mainstream people want to hear.

Don't disappoint me again if I buy a ticket to your show again.

Play really rare tracks, and play them like you mean them from the bottom of your heart, bring back the real passion and crazy energy like when you used to play them in 2001/2002. That's what Muse was about. They were playing their life on every song.

Play "Shrinking Universe" and "Eternally missed" live. Give everything you got. And play those really ambitious tracks like Exogenesis in full for once godammit. It's so disappointing to love those songs so much, to know they are the most ambitious stuff they've ever done, and go to a show and hear only the simple boring songs being played over and over.

I don't want crap like Undisclosed Desires, Starlight or Mercy ever again at a show.

Real music lovers that bought all your albums and singles want Shrinking Universe, Eternally Missed, Host, Falling away with you, Exo-politics, Exo-genesis I/II/III, Map of your head, Shine, all those songs we've loved and that you somehow "forgot" and held onto the boring singles that air all the time on the radio. No more of this cheap trick Matthew.

If the Globalist is that good, I sure hope it will be played at EVERY show. No Mercy. Globalist. That's what we want!

That's it for the rant. See you in 5 years.