Do you like Mercy?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Mercy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

To be fair, I think Mercy is about as good as Starlight!

The problem is that Starlight has always been one of my least favourite Muse songs. It's not bad and fairly catchy, just rather musically bland and dull. And making what really feels like a musical re-tread of it seems a little odd to me. It doesn't exactly speak of creativity! But maybe I'm just biased because of my ambivalence towards the original. If it was a second Plug in Baby, Fury, Bliss, Dead Star or Citizen Erased on the other hand, hypocrite that I am... It does make me wonder whether or not Citizen Erased and its reported sequel, The Globalist, will be as close musically as Mercy is to Starlight! I think I'd be willing to bet a whole £1 that it isn't. But I'd be pretty happy if I was wrong.

Edited by Static Shadows

Don't know if this has been mentioned (although the thread exploded, and I'm not trawling through tons of pages to find out :LOL:), but is this actually a song where Matt doesn't use "Drone(s)" in the lyrics?

But it does contain the old favourite, 'soul'! So Mercy and Dead Inside can be added to this video:

I think that the Starlight comparisons are a bit lazy tbh. While the piano does sound similar nothing else in the song does. There are hints of Stockholm Syndrome in the chorus but no one is comparing the song to that. I just think that the Starlight influence is minimal in this song.

The piano in the beginning immediately calls a resemblance to Starlight, but tbh I don't see it much after that.

The way the guitar kicks in during the bridge in Starlight kind of is the same as in the chorus of Mercy, kind of. But it's just the piano that reminds people of Starlight really.

Thing is, I don't think it's a bad song, there is just no element to it that makes me want to put it on repeat. Not a song I'd skip on the album, but not one I'd revisit after listening to it.

I think that the Starlight comparisons are a bit lazy tbh. While the piano does sound similar nothing else in the song does. There are hints of Stockholm Syndrome in the chorus but no one is comparing the song to that. I just think that the Starlight influence is minimal in this song.

The piano in the beginning immediately calls a resemblance to Starlight, but tbh I don't see it much after that.

Come on! :LOL: To manage to not recognise the similarities to one of their biggest singles requires a far bigger leap! The Keane-esque tinkling piano in the intro/verse paired with the low, rumbling distorted bass line, building into a pre-chorus where distorted guitar chords suddenly crash in with spiralling synth arpeggios... That is very Starlight. Not just a little. Most people are going to hear that and think 'it sounds like Starlight there'. Of course it's not identical, especially in terms of vocal melody and the very different chorus. It is a different song and not a note for note rip-off. But it is undeniably very much built on a Starlight template. Especially in those verses.

Come on! :LOL: To manage to not recognise the similarities to one of their biggest singles requires a far bigger leap! The Keane-esque tinkling piano in the intro/verse paired with the low, rumbling distorted bass line, building into a pre-chorus where distorted guitar chords suddenly crash in with spiralling synth arpeggios... That is very Starlight. Not just a little. Most people are going to hear that and think 'it sounds like Starlight there'. Of course it's not identical, especially in terms of vocal melody and the very different chorus. It is a different song. But it is undeniably very much built on a Starlight template. Especially in those verses.

I disagree. Comparing new songs to old songs in the discography for lack of ability to regard the song as it's own piece of work is lazy. You say "built on a Starlight template", so you honestly believe Matt went into the studio and thought "I have no ideas so let me just take the skeleton of Starlight and make a new track out of it"? The only fair comparison to be made is to that of Keane, this song has a walking bassline, Starlight doesn't. If having a piano accented song evokes another one by more than just being reminiscent then lol

you honestly believe Matt went into the studio and thought "I have no ideas so let me just take the skeleton of Starlight and make a new track out of it"?

Yes. Pretty much. In the same way he went into the Resistance sessions and said "I have no ideas so let me just take the skeleton of New Born and make a new track out of it", coming up with Unnatural Selection. Again, it doesn't make them the exactly same track but one was very clearly based on the other.

At least Mercy is as good or perhaps even better than Starlight. Unnatural Selection fell painfully short.

Yes. Pretty much. In the same way he went into the Resistance sessions and said "I have no ideas so let me just take the skeleton of New Born and make a new track out of it", coming up with Unnatural Selection. Again, it doesn't make them the exactly same track but one was very clearly based on the other.

At least Mercy is as good or perhaps even better than Starlight. Unnatural Selection fell painfully short.

:noey: I hate US and I don't even think it was conscious. Matt wrote all of those songs, it's only natural he might write a riff identical to New Born 10 years later or a piano melody a bit reminiscent of an older song. I don't think it was an active, conscious decision.

:noey: I hate US and I don't even think it was conscious. Matt wrote all of those songs, it's only natural he might write a riff identical to New Born 10 years later or a piano melody a bit reminiscent of an older song. I don't think it was an active, conscious decision.

Now that is a bit naive. :LOL:

You don't just forget how your own songs sound! Especially when playing them every night for years while on tour.

Now that is a bit naive. :LOL:

Nah I was just being cheeky with that first bit lol. But generally speaking, I do think similarities are bound to pop up. If anything I feel that if I had to pick a song to accuse of being deliberately written as a rip off then it would be US, not Mercy. I remember TR only had the amount of songs we got written for the album too. We don't know whether this is the same for Drones, so it's entirely possible the pressure was higher to produce something "good" and effective back then what with Chris basically absent from writing/recording.

EDIT: Matt apparently seems to forget a lot of them though.

Don't think it's been mentioned that the Mercy artwork on the site has been changed.

Looks like it could be a screen of the lyric video. I like the other artwork better, the single art is awesome this cycle.