Do you like Mercy?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Mercy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Thanks for the replies guys, very informative.

I actually quite like this; studio version sounds better than the live recording. From what's been said regarding the mixing (I was listening very carefully), I suppose it does sound a bit odd and forced in a few places. The chorus certainly sounds a lot more interesting than in the live recording, but I still can't help thinking it's a bit too simple. A bit Muse-by-numbers. Also, I would have liked the ending to have been a bit longer, as I really like that section. Can't beat a good guitar also either. Decent song though.

It's loud but it's very intentional. Again my only gripe is that they can mix things loud but not have to make it so loud that it clips. I'm fine with the track as a whole, it's deliberately meant to sound unsettling. It's kind of silly people aren't seeing that the mixing isn't a "fuck up", it's produced to advance the narrative both lyrically and sonically.

I don't think so. Perhaps I have a bad link. All leaks seem to be mp3, which is already really compressed. All leaks are probably changed to not be "found" by a formula by Muse label people - like a much louder voice or piano, or a much quieter bass.

Again, I might have a bad link, but there is tons of clipping and it's just awfully mixed.

I am 99% sure this isn't the truest version, only because it's able to sneak past formulas.

That's my thinking anyway.

Let us not judge the song until it's on the radio at 7PM GMT.

I don't think so. Perhaps I have a bad link. All leaks seem to be mp3, which is already really compressed. All leaks are probably changed to not be "found" by a formula by Muse label people - like a much louder voice or piano, or a much quieter bass.

Again, I might have a bad link, but there is tons of clipping and it's just awfully mixed.

I am 99% sure this isn't the truest version, only because it's able to sneak past formulas.

That's my thinking anyway.

Let us not judge the song until it's on the radio at 7PM GMT.

This. This. This.

I have no clue who gave anyone the idea that the leak we have is the final mix when it obviously is'nt. it's so compressed from the moment the bass starts. And it's not the same sound level as the other two, I have to keep turning it up every time to match the rest of the songs.

I'm sorry for those who have based their opinions about why the song sounds the way it does because, for the most part, you've all made it sound justifiable and actually added reason as to why it sounds so. However, the bottom line is that it's not the final mix.

I will be more than happy to eat my words if I am wrong though, which I'm very doubtful of.

This. This. This.

I have no clue who gave anyone the idea that the leak we have is the final mix when it obviously is'nt. it's so compressed from the moment the bass starts. And it's not the same sound level as the other two, I have to keep turning it up every time to match the rest of the songs.

I'm sorry for those who have based their opinions about why the song sounds the way it does because, for the most part, you've all made it sound justifiable and actually added reason as to why it sounds so. However, the bottom line is that it's not the final mix.

I will be more than happy to eat my words if I am wrong though, which I'm very doubtful of.

You assert its not the final mix. Care to share proof? The loudness wars aren't going to end with Mercy's release lol

it still sounds fine to me :LOL: I might have shit ears or something.

Generally speaking when people complain about mixing/mastering they're seen as pretentious. Oftentimes the differences are too subtle for a lot of people to hear, hence why it happens in the first place. Loudness wars is meant to appeal to the typical radio type music listener. Things can vary from bad to very bad, and very bad tends to be when it's easy to hear, such as having artifacts in songs which Muse hasn't had to date but artifacts for example are very unprofessional, clipping is too but not as blatantly offensive yet clipping is common these days

[citation needed]

and look I'm not saying there's a definite good and bad when it comes to mixing, but in my opinion the guitars in the chorus are mixed too loudly

There's actually quite a few examples of where Matt has written a rather "uplifting" sounding song that was intended to be quite dark, or at least sad.

SfA and DI both have that high part at the end ("our wrongs..." and "don't leave me..." etc) where the climax of the song is basically the singer's last effort/begging for help/etc.

GL, the entire song was like that.

There's better examples, but I've been awake for two days (*edit: the entirety of Glorious is a good one; entire song makes me feel like my heart is busting out of my chest, big and bright, but an extremely wistful song.)

All of them, including Mercy, give me that feeling of desperation and intense longing/wanting to scream inside.

Maybe trying to reach for something bigger/better than you are.

I guess, as for a "citation" Matt has said multiple times (latest was that annoying Weenie Roast announcement interview) that even if you don't catch the lyrics, he thinks the songs elicit the same emotions sonically.

I kind of feel like you always form the best possible scenarios in your head to make the song as impressive as possible. Nothing wrong with that, just an observation.

You know, maybe. But isn't that interpretive nature sort of the point of art?

I can say, for me, my last point up there didn't hold true for much of T2L, despite my liking the songs. Taking away the lyrics, they didn't "feel" like anything more than really big stuff you might hear on a movie soundtrack or something.

I couldn't make up a big flowery story about the link between the lyrics and instrumentation of, say, Panic Station. I enjoyed the song a lot, but it didn't touch me emotionally.