Do you like Mercy?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Mercy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

I think the mixing complaints are perfectly valid...the guitar in the chorus sounds as loud as a My Bloody Valentine song :LOL:

It's loud but it's very intentional. Again my only gripe is that they can mix things loud but not have to make it so loud that it clips. I'm fine with the track as a whole, it's deliberately meant to sound unsettling. It's kind of silly people aren't seeing that the mixing isn't a "fuck up", it's produced to advance the narrative both lyrically and sonically.

[citation needed]

:mad: a pop song with lyrics as dark as the devil should be a hint to this. The layered vocals in the verses make Matt sound robotic, his delivery during the verses is also robotic at times. He's begging for help in a song that can sonically hide the meaning/point of the lyrics, some of my friends didn't even notice how dark they were. Song appears "happy", lyrics convey a much darker message. Song functions to elaborate on Dead Inside's "on the outside I'm the greatest guy/but I'm dead inside" duality/tension. That same tension exists here with the clashing elements of the song. It was produced to this effect, the sense that something is "off", the song emphasizes the vocals by far because Matt's making an appeal to the listener and he wants them to hear what he has to say. Needless to say these are my opinions but as per usual I have to again state the obvious: opinions.

EDIT: yeah the guitars are loud but that also seemed deliberate. I have no narrative-centric explanation for this but if I had to guess it would be that it's supposed to be abrasive. I would link it to Psycho in that regard, the loud guitar recalls his encounters with the "dark forces" from psycho that eat away at him while he's begging for mercy

The artwork for everything so far has been atrocious

i like the Drones artwork, not so sure about the single artworks tho

Edit: Also the lyric in this song:

"Absent gods in silent tyranny

We're going under

Hypnotized by another puppeteer"

is ace

:mad: a pop song with lyrics as dark as the devil should be a hint to this. The layered vocals in the verses make Matt sound robotic, his delivery during the verses is also robotic at times. He's begging for help in a song that can sonically hide the meaning/point of the lyrics, some of my friends didn't even notice how dark they were. Song appears "happy", lyrics convey a much darker message. Song functions to elaborate on Dead Inside's "on the outside I'm the greatest guy/but I'm dead inside" duality/tension. That same tension exists here with the clashing elements of the song. It was produced to this effect, the sense that something is "off", the song emphasizes the vocals by far because Matt's making an appeal to the listener and he wants them to hear what he has to say. Needless to say these are my opinions but as per usual I have to again state the obvious: opinions.

EDIT: yeah the guitars are loud but that also seemed deliberate. I have no narrative-centric explanation for this but if I had to guess it would be that it's supposed to be abrasive. I would link it to Psycho in that regard, the loud guitar recalls his encounters with the "dark forces" from psycho that eat away at him while he's begging for mercy

I kind of feel like you always form the best possible scenarios in your head to make the song as impressive as possible. Nothing wrong with that, just an observation.

I'm glad that Psycho was not representative of the lyrical standard of the album.

I thought it was alright.

"Your mind is just a program

And I'm a virus

I'm changing the station" was good since first listen to me. The strength in that song though is the delivery of the lyrics IMO, it got me mega hyped.

I kind of feel like you always form the best possible scenarios in your head to make the song as impressive as possible. Nothing wrong with that, just an observation.

Lol I'm not even gonna deny that. But on a realistic level, it's either shit/not shit, black/white with fans. I'm sure Matt had something going through his head while writing it and tweaking it with Mutt; Dom and someone else was present for the mixing of Psycho, so odds are the band oversaw the process too with the rest of the tracks and had input to get the songs up to snuff in their eyes.

i like the Drones artwork, not so sure about the single artworks tho

Edit: Also the lyric in this song:

"Absent gods in silent tyranny

We're going under

Hypnotized by another puppeteer"

is ace

its breddy good yeah

Some questions, seeing as I haven't been on the board over the weekend and that I don't really know anything about how music is produced/mixed:

How/where have you all heard Mercy?

What's apparently wrong with the mixing?

What is 'clipping'?

Some questions, seeing as I haven't been on the board over the weekend and that I don't really know anything about how music is produced/mixed:

What is 'clipping'?

1. It leaked over the weekend but it'll come out officially in 10 hours.

2. Common complaints have included the bass not being punchy enough, the synths being too quiet in the mix, Matt's voice being too loud in the mix, and Matt's guitar being too loud in the mix. There've been a few complaints about Dom's drums.

3. Clipping is a phenomenon where the volume levels of the instruments or the entire track is pushed to the max during either mixing or mastering, which causes audible distortion (the bad kind) when you're listening to the track. It ends up erasing/muddying up the higher and lower frequencies. If you change songs but keep the volume level the same when you're listening to them and one sounds way louder at the same volume level, odds are it has clipping.

What is 'clipping'?

If you search Mercy via google and sort it by the last 24hrs you should find a link within either twitter or reddit for a download. Regarding the mixing I think its okay, the only thing I would do is lower the volume of the vocals slightly, bring up the drums a bit after cleaning them slightly. The piano sounds perfect, bass is perfect and the guitar is rough but I like that for this song. But all arguments aside I do see why people are complaining about the mix as its not as "pristine" as Dead Inside or Psycho. But I don't think its meant to be. Not sure what there talking about in terms of clipping to be honest though.