Do you like Mercy?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Mercy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

I've made a similar post to this a bunch of times within the past few months. People are being reactionary as fuck in the "rock album" topic.

I don't even remember them flat out saying the album was going to be a rock album. I might have missed an interview or two, but I remember them saying they wanted to return more to a 3 piece sound, which I took as removing all of the orchestral work they had done previously.

People don't have a clue what auto tune sounds like anyway. Or what it does apparently. (The post above me proves that)

Isn't Mutt Lange sort of a "slave driver" in terms of performance anyways? I wouldn't be surprised if there was a little light pitch correction sprinkled throughout the high bits, but Muse don't strike me as a band that would be comfortable with using auto-tune as a crutch.

Of course, I could be completely wrong.

How many Muse songs use it prominently? And why are people noticing it in this song in particular?
gone to bed so not gonna bother with a long reply but people don't notice auto tune, people notice vocal effects and yell "auto tune!". Pretty much every vocoder effect these days is accused of beig auto tune.

People don't have a clue what auto tune sounds like anyway. Or what it does apparently. (The post above me proves that)

The first verse on the line "run the show" it's pretty blatantly pitch corrected (no human voice is perfect so you can usually tell when even the best singers are pitch corrected). They would have done it as an effect rather than because Matt had too

The first verse on the line "run the show" it's pretty blatantly pitch corrected (no human voice is perfect so you can usually tell when even the best singers are pitch corrected). They would have done it as an effect rather than because Matt had too
gonna listen to it tomorrow

"Autotune" is dead. There's Melodyne that is widely used and it is ridiculously good at pitch correction and so clean that unless it's intentional you can't notice it anyway. There are a whole bunch of other effects on the vocals though but certainly no "autotune".

Hahaha, no, it is not autotune. Like the user you quoted said, people seems to not have an idea of what autotune sounds like.

The "pitch corrected" line you claim, together with the whole verse, sounds like that because there is at least 2 vocal layers. One being the main "note" and the second being that note a little higher.

Hahaha, no, it is not autotune. Like the user you quoted said, people seems to not have an idea of what autotune sounds like.

The "pitch corrected" line you claim, together with the whole verse, sounds like that because there is at least 2 vocal layers. One being the main "note" and the second being that note a little higher.

This is what I'm thinking. Most of the vocals are aided by another backing vocal layer, it makes it sound kind of weird in certain parts of it but not autotuned

correct.

As above poster said, I think most people claiming there's auto-tune just are confused by the usage of several vocal layers. As for the 'Run the show' line, he just has a sliding approach to the note which can easily be done without any pitch-correcting. He's been using that technique alot the past couple of years which makes it easier to approach high notes than hitting it cleanly. On this example, it was just for the style of it.

"Autotune" is dead. There's Melodyne that is widely used and it is ridiculously good at pitch correction and so clean that unless it's intentional you can't notice it anyway. There are a whole bunch of other effects on the vocals though but certainly no "autotune".

Okay I shouldn't have used the term auto-tune, I just used it as a general term for pitch correction, my bad. I know melodyne and other vocoder-type effects are used a lot but there's definitely been some pitch correction of some kind to the verses (I'm no expert on specific effects but I know pitch correction when I hear it)

And Stanmr if what you said was true then it would sound more like a chorus effect and therefore LESS pitch corrected...

Also people seem to think I'm bashing Muse when I never said there was anything WRONG with using these kind of effects in an artistic way. It's more subtle than a full vocoder effect but it just grates on me

Okay I shouldn't have used the term auto-tune, I just used it as a general term for pitch correction, my bad. I know melodyne and other vocoder-type effects are used a lot but there's definitely been some pitch correction of some kind to the verses (I'm no expert on specific effects but I know pitch correction when I hear it)

And Stanmr if what you said was true then it would sound more like a chorus effect and therefore LESS pitch corrected...

But it doesn't sounds pitch corrected, you can clearly hear at least 2 vocal layers playing at the same time, one higher than another, and thus making the verse sound like it's been pitch shifted/corrected. At first listen i thought there was some vocal editing too, but after 20 listens (:D:D) i realised that that weird effect was because of another vocal note/line being played at the background.