Do you like Mercy?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Mercy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

I'd say TR was a pretty natural progression sound-wise from BHAR, it just lacked in quality in some areas. T2L was an attempt at progression but ended up a bit of a mess. So far, Drones feels like a devolution if anything, though a welcome one imo.

Really? I thought The Resistance was really jarring coming right after Black Holes, and then it just continued to go downhill with T2L. I feel like they got their groove back with Drones. (Basically, don't self produce ever again).

Really? I thought The Resistance was really jarring coming right after Black Holes, and then it just continued to go downhill with T2L. I feel like they got their groove back with Drones. (Basically, don't self produce ever again).

Jarring wouldn't be the word because one could easily say that The Resistance at least attempted to have somewhat of the band's signature sounds. T2L didn't really try that at all.

Well, it continued their path/progression towards a more 'mature' stadium rock sound that had really been going on since Showbiz, delving further into more strings-based and orchestral music as well as pop. Some of the song-writing and production just let it down imo.

Jarring wouldn't be the word because one could easily say that The Resistance at least attempted to have somewhat of the band's signature sounds. T2L didn't really try that at all.

It was jarring since USoE was the first glimpse into the Resistance. *shudders*

Which supports the notion that they ran out of ideas for this album so they had to dig up an old riff.

It's not "dug up" if they've literally been playing it so long that it remains current at every gig. If you really think Muse ran out of ideas then lol. If you want a band that ran out of ideas go check out Coldplay

Plus the fact that they made the Psycho riffs over the years themselves...

Would have included Psycho, but I really did think it sounded too much like Personal Jesus and Uprising.

I also think Mercy is very original mostly, except that a few notes on the piano sound similar to Starlight :rolleyes:

Would have included Psycho, but I really did think it sounded too much like Personal Jesus and Uprising.

I also think Mercy is very original mostly, except that a few notes on the piano sound similar to Starlight :rolleyes:

The comparison to Uprising begs another. The Psycho riff predated Uprising by a decade, and Uprising was likely inspired by it. Futurism also inspired Hysteria. By that logic how are any of these songs anything besides original? Nobody accused Muse of "lacking ideas" when writing Hysteria.

Didn't see people complaining they used the little piano outro for CE in Glasto 2004 as Take a Bow.

I'm not complaining. Just pointing out the lack of originality present in what we've heard from Drones so far, as well as the inconsistency in JJthemuse's argument.

I like Psycho. DI is meh. Reapers sounds promising, Mercy could go either way.

Original however, they are not.

I'm so completely biased by how amazing Matt's vocals are on most of these, that they could probably be literally using an old song, and I might be okay with it.

But seriously, I guess "originality" for me is trumped by them just making something that I really, really enjoy.

I think Dead Inside is one of the best things they've done in years, Psycho is great (largely due to being catchy and awesome vocals,) and I've had the intelligible 30 seconds of Mercy stuck in my head so persistently today it was hard for me to hold down a conversation.

I'm not complaining. Just pointing out the lack of originality present in what we've heard from Drones so far, as well as the inconsistency in JJthemuse's argument.

I like Psycho. DI is meh. Reapers sounds promising, Mercy could go either way.

Original however, they are not.

You keep making baseless claims about "lack of originality" without refuting mine. There is no lack of originality unless Muse makes music derivative of other artists rather than allowing themselves to be influenced by other genres/artists, UNLESS they shamelessly lift direct elements from specific songs (i.e. New Born riff lifted note-for-note, same tempo and pasted into Unnatural Selection). And the claim that Muse using fragments of original pieces of music written and debuted live in their own shows which eventually became a part of their own repertoire somehow implies that Muse is "unoriginal" is preposterous. My argument is consistent, your rebuttal is not because you just ignored my post, assert my argument is inconsistent, and reassert your unsubstantiated point.

Making songs out of little things they've been playing for a while is a thing musicians do literally all the time. Butterflies and Hurricanes is heard in a Showbiz era Making Of iirc. Bunch of other examples have been pointed out.

I don't know how that keeps coming up as proof of a lack of ideas. If anything what happens is you come up with too many little riffs or hooks and then turn some of them into songs and others fall by the wayside until you revisit them. They don't just "go bad" because they waited to finish them, and it's still music written by them... Not sure how that isn't original.

Making songs out of little things they've been playing for a while is a thing musicians do literally all the time. Butterflies and Hurricanes is heard in a Showbiz era Making Of iirc. Bunch of other examples have been pointed out.

I don't know how that keeps coming up as proof of a lack of ideas. If anything what happens is you come up with too many little riffs or hooks and then turn some of them into songs and others fall by the wayside until you revisit them. They don't just "go bad" because they waited to finish them, and it's still music written by them... Not sure how that isn't original.

Thank you.

Mercy's track length is now listed as 3:51 on iTunes. Single imminent! How long before Dead Inside's track length went up was it before it was available for purchase? It's also possible the video that Tom was teasing as being recorded might've been for Mercy.

I will feel very bad for you if Mercy does not shatter your expectations. I still have faith that Mutt and his production will make you love this song + album. :happy:

I thought listening to it once wouldn't be so bad, but I always discount my stupid memory.

I'm actually enjoying the stuff from this album so much so far that I'm waiting for the crash, you know?

I love Psycho, I'm fucking obsessed with DI still.

I still have hang ups about the "classic rock clichés" in Reapers, but I can't say it's a bad song, at all.

Also, though, didn't DI just hit #1? Would another single make sense right now?