I reckon that heavy Helsinki jam-esque riff will be part of the handler

I expect that to be in either Defector or Revolt. It has that kind of intense feel to it and I can get a mental image of the protagonist fighting back against his oppressors.

There aren't as many songs as I'd like. Some of them could be 15 minutes long, but suck. I feel more comfortable with more tracks, I guess. Gives me more chances to like some.

I would actually be so happy if muse sat down, tried real hard and made like 5 amazing songs that flow nicely and with at least two that reaches the 8 minute mark (minimally) and released that instead of random mixbags in terms of quality and style.

I would actually be so happy if muse sat down, tried real hard and made like 5 amazing songs that flow nicely and with at least two that reaches the 8 minute mark (minimally) and released that instead of random mixbags in terms of quality and style.

Not just pointing at this post, but in general...

You have to remember, Muse aren't there for fan service. They write stuff that they want to write. Which is fair enough IMO, whether or not it is well received by the people, they're writing out of 'love' for it.

Who knows, maybe they just don't enjoy writing long progressive tracks so much anymore, and would rather work on something fun and upbeat...

Based on the limited descriptions so far of the Globalist, I'm expecting Drones - as a finale to be relatively understated, like all of the other final tracks (bar KOC). I doubt they're going to have a closing track as equally mental if there's a 10 minute prog nightmare beforehand.....

Edited by Phil2211

You have to remember, Muse aren't there for fan service. They write stuff that they want to write. Which is fair enough IMO, whether or not it is well received by the people, they're writing out of 'love' for it.

Who knows, maybe they just don't enjoy writing long progressive tracks so much anymore, and would rather work on something fun and upbeat...

I can't really call this fan service. Muse have never strictly been a one genre band, but doing long progressive numbers naturally only comes to bands strongly rooted in prog rock. It would definitely require some conscious effort to do so, just as Matt did and said he did with The Globalist which ended up being 10 minutes long

Based on limit descriptions so far of the Globalist, I'm expecting Drones - as a finale to be relatively understated, like all of the other final tracks (bar KOC). I doubt they're going to have a closing track as equally mental if there's a 10 minute prog nightmare beforehand.....

Yeah, I agree. I'm expecting to Drones to be upbeat like Psycho or Reapers riff. Obv with the depressing lyrics still.

I can't really call this fan service. Muse have never strictly been a one genre band, but doing long progressive numbers naturally only comes to bands strongly rooted in prog rock. It would definitely require some conscious effort to do so, just as Matt did and said he did with The Globalist which ended up being 10 minutes long

Yeah, I just hope it wasn't written because fans were going on about it, rather because they wanted to. There's be massive difference in quality between the two scenarios.

Yeah, I just hope it wasn't written because fans were going on about it, rather because they wanted to. There's be massive difference in quality between the two scenarios.

He did say he wrote it just to see if he could write a song in that style.

Which sounds suspiciously like fan service, but hopefully I'm wrong. :LOL:

Matt (and the others) don't seem like the kind of ones to put something out they aren't ultimately satisfied with, regardless of if it was fan-service or not, that would just be an added bonus.

The Psycho riff felt a little fan servicey.

Takeaway points from the radio interviews:

• Dead Inside is about losing love, takes the album into a dark place
  • After Psycho the album keeps getting progressively darker
  • Mercy and The Handler in particular are really dark
  • Defector and Revolt are when the protagonist starts to fight back, regains self control
  • Aftermath is the end of the brainwashing story, about finding love again
  • The Globalist is the CE sequel, a "10 minute prog nightmare," about the rise and fall of a dictator, end of world, WW3
  • Dead Inside and Psycho are the two extremes of the album, melodic and heavy
  • The album leans more towards heavy side
  • This is their return to being a three-piece band

Chris also claims the Psycho tour has the band talking about doing more intimate gigs, says there is "something missing" in playing big arenas etc.

I'm going to assume that the bolded was said primarily as a more representative thing because those two songs are the ones people have actually heard, and not meant to be literal because I'd be vaguely disappointed if so.

Reapers >>> Psycho > Dead Inside.

I really like all the songs that we've heard so far, I can even understand the inclusion of Dead Inside. Together with the new songs and the prospect of rarities, it's the most excited I've been for a Muse tour/album in a while.