Anyone got anything I can read to better understand this 'mixing' you are all debating. I'd rather like to learn about it :)

I'm hardly in the know when it comes to mixing/producing (I don't even really know the difference between these two words when it comes to music, apart from they represent different stages of album development), but I can identify when something seems too quiet, just from listening to it, for example, the synth in Mercy. But that is more a subjective viewpoint, having said that, I'm not sure objectively correct mixing really exists outside of what will be most commercially accepted among the most people.

Well my gf is almost as into Muse as I am, and she hasn't been able to stand the vocals for Reapers and Mercy, she thinks they sound pitch-corrected and overproduced. It ruined Reapers for her and she loves the live version. I tried to persuade her otherwise but to no avail.

You say that but I really think Reapers sounds pitch corrected. Maybe thats on purpose though with the 'robotic' feel of the track.

Anyone got anything I can read to better understand this 'mixing' you are all debating. I'd rather like to learn about it :)

Mixing mainly is just adjustment of volume levels of instruments and "placement" within the headspace of a song. Like the drums back in the mix is like a figure in a painting being in the background, whereas up front drums is like the Mona lisa's placement in a painting, "spacey" drums could have reverb added to them and fill each stereo channel (left, right) or pan across to make it seem like something is moving, for example.

Production is just all of the stylistic choices of what or what not to do to a song. The way Matt's vocals were translated from studio to record is how they were "produced", generally speaking. Mixing tends to get included with the term "production" because "producing" a song usually means that the producer is trying to tease out and capture some kind of sound, whether subtle or not, or a signature style of production or not.

Seems like it's mainly people looking for an excuse to complain imo :LOL:

Not sure how people can make it seem like it's unlistenable

Or maybe some people don't like that the verses sound really weak compared to the rest of the song.

Is Fabri running musesetlist right now? I find whoever it is really annoying, it's like they are trying to be as negative as possible about the song. I don't really get why some people seem to enjoy acting that way. Just seems like attention seeking to me.

Mixing mainly is just adjustment of volume levels of instruments and "placement" within the headspace of a song. Like the drums back in the mix is like a figure in a painting being in the background, whereas up front drums is like the Mona lisa's placement in a painting, "spacey" drums could have reverb added to them and fill each stereo channel (left, right) or pan across to make it seem like something is moving, for example.

Production is just all of the stylistic choices of what or what not to do to a song. The way Matt's vocals were translated from studio to record is how they were "produced", generally speaking. Mixing tends to get included with the term "production" because "producing" a song usually means that the producer is trying to tease out and capture some kind of sound, whether subtle or not, or a signature style of production or not.

Cool thanks.

I've always wanted to learn about stuff like EQ settings but never got round to it. Do they really make that much of a difference?

Also, keep in mind you guys are judging a mix by a 5 minute video compressed down to 100MB. I believe Mercy improved slightly when it was actually released versus the early leak.

What leaked was Mercy's MP3, not the lyric video lol. If anything the mp3 tied into the video was more compressed...but yeah, good point. Reapers is definitely going to sound better as an MP3

But then the chorus would lack impact. Have you never heard of dynamics?

I get your point, but it's fair to want the verse to sustain the same energy and drive as the chorus, just as much as it is fair to want the dynamics and contrast. In this instance, but these qualities would do the song justice.

Cool thanks.

I've always wanted to learn about stuff like EQ settings but never got round to it. Do they really make that much of a difference?

Frequency allocation is arguably the most important part in mixing. It's also the source of some complaints in Reapers.

Cool thanks.

Definitely. Take a listen to Cave then Psycho, for example with good headphones. The instruments are more compressed and/or not mixed to breathe properly in the mix. This can be stylistic, could not be. Then you'll notice that there's lots of clarity and definition in Psycho with regards to the instruments. These are some of the differences EQ during the mixing process can make. EQ takes on a different meaning when you're not in studio, it just means fiddling around with limited control over elements of a song whereas mixing engineers have complete control over the original stems (files)

I have. But dynamics doesn't have to mean completely killing any and all punch in the verse.

For me, this is what bugged me about TR and T2L. The songs lacked character and sounded bland because the dynamics were all off.

I guess it's each to their own, but my personal taste edges towards riffs and choruses having more impact than verses do. Similar to live performances really

These days it just seems that 50% of fanbase are audio engineers.

Everyone with a mp3 player/computer can get into audio engineering though, just fiddling around with EQs and multi-track effects/volume can give you a decent insight.