Ahah, all these people freaking out about Dead Inside.

It's literally the only love(kinda) song on the album.

Of course it'll be poppy! I love it, really.

The lyricism and music is all great.

For those who just want rock, it's certain that the rest of the album will fit into the military, rock concept.

had to you know

Actually after further listens I'm not really excited it. It was good at the gig because the venue was full of people listening to a stream of the radio one AirPlay and it was good live, but not a massive fan except the second part tbh.

Matts vocals though

Dead Inside and Psycho have a very cohesive sound in my opinion, and I think it's highly probable that the rest of the album will follow suit. Is cohesiveness not what most people wanted? Of course, that means that if you don't like what we've heard so far, you're probably not going to enjoy any of the other songs...

I'm still excited for this album. I've really liked what we've heard so far.

I've already listened to Dead Inside on repeat enough times that I should hate it, but I'm still loving it. It's a solid pop song and to me it's infinitely better than the failed experimentation in songs like Undisclosed Desires (which is alright as a studio version, but meh), Madness and Big Freeze. Hell, even the Bono-esque line in Dead Inside that's basically lifted from Big Freeze doesn't bother me, it suits the song.

While the lyrics are impossibly shit in a few places, I think they're generally okay. It's no big secret who the song is about, but it doesn't matter since it still gets the point across about the main character and fits with the storyline of the album. It's pretty dark. It's baffling to me that people still expected better lyrics. It's not like Matt has really written any good lyrics since BHAR.

I am particularly excited about their return to form melody-wise. "Your ass belongs to me now" from Psycho is a great vocal melody, as well as the QOTSA-style progression from the original 0305030-riff. The Dead Inside chorus is also a damn good melody. It feels like we might get more of it in other songs as well.

It will be interesting to hear The Globalist and the supposed "darker" tracks.

The lyric videos really aren't helping with the lyrical content. The quality (lack-of) of the lyrics just feels a lot more in your face when it's literally in your face. I can imagine my reaction to Survival would've been even worse if I saw giant text saying I'LL LIGHT THE FUSE, AND I'LL NEVER LOSE. But live I didn't really give any fucks. Even NSC got pretty well received live despite the similar lyrical complaints. I assume it's the same effect.

So far Dead Inside is probably my least favorite of what I've heard. On more listens my opinion has remained the same, whereas Psycho went up a bit and Reapers went up a lot. But I do like the melody, and it looks decent live. It'll probably be paired with Map wherever that shows up.