It's their most sonically consistent album to date by far IMO, although the flow isnt the best. "Cohesive" doesn't necessarily entail that the songs flow well as in heavy --> heavy --> soft --> soft for example as much as it implies that the songs come together well as individual units as well as constituent parts of an album.

But you can have both. There's no need to ignore flow just because the songs still come together as a whole. And not everyone shares your (subjective) definition of a cohesive album.

I simply don't think slapping some black paint on a bunch of different shapes makes me forget that the shapes are not similar. (Yes I just made that analogy)

What do you mean about Matt's vocals? I've seen you mention it before but I've never seen you explain it in any way that isn't ten times more personally interpreted and baseless than any of the stuff you've accuse me of.

And I really don't see a sonic connection other than the one that is on every album ever, that they should be mixed and mastered in the same way so it doesn't sound like songs recorded and produced at different times.

It's more robotic and detached while being crisp and detailed/punchy. It's hard to explain or describe production on levels this detailed but basically Matt's voice on T2L is very nondescript, there's nothing noteworthy that specifically highlights certain "feelings" or evokes a certain kind of ominous forboding. The production on his vocals and in general on this record so far remind me of Noctourniquet by The Mars Volta. The approach to that album was very different from the previous ones and the vocals stood out largely due to the vocal delivery, crispness, and that perturbing sound the production sought to bring out and capture as the "sound" of that record. PM me and Ill attempt to show you what I mean

Edited by jonisdead

But you can have both. There's no need to ignore flow just because the songs still come together as a whole. And not everyone shares your (subjective) definition of a cohesive album.

Please for the love of god not state "that's just your opinion" because I'm not asserting anything and comments like that contribute nothing to the discussion. And obviously you can have both, but I'm not saying this album does or needs to.

Has this one been posted? I'm lost with all the italian reviews. If not, can someone translate the bits about The Handler and The Globalist? Thanks

http://www.rockol.it/news-644029/muse-drones---recensione?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rockol%2FfRwb+%28Rockol+Music+News%29&hootPostID=5b7508122d787c3ed8c413ba42fc31f4&refresh_ce

Please for the love of god not state "that's just your opinion" because I'm not asserting anything and comments like that contribute nothing to the discussion. And obviously you can have both, but I'm not saying this album does or needs to.
They contribute because they give some distance to statements about what it "implies" to have a cohesive album. That's obviously not what it implies for others, so it's a null point.

Has this one been posted? I'm lost with all the italian reviews. If not, can someone translate the bits about The Handler and The Globalist? Thanks

http://www.rockol.it/news-644029/muse-drones---recensione?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rockol%2FfRwb+%28Rockol+Music+News%29&hootPostID=5b7508122d787c3ed8c413ba42fc31f4&refresh_ce

Post it in the media forum. You'll probably get a better response there.

Google translation but from that article

"Drones" is a rock album, with quotations more or less explicit (Queen, U2, AC / DC - from which comes the turn producer Matt Lange) and it is a concept, with songs related to each other, from the start to the long final suite.

Reapers:

An aggressive attack of drums, a guitar riff that seems to come from the AC / DC in acid or the "Flight of the Bumblebee" version in hard rock. Guitars leading players, high in the mix of instruments, including riffs and solos, with the distorted voice that screams "Killed by drones."

The Handler

Other riffone hard rock placed at the beginning, for the first song in the album sees the protagonist revolt against: "I will not let you control my feeling again (...), I'm escaping from your grip, you will never own me again. "Even here Bellamy has fun with the guitar, with an interlude of classical music redone in a rock, vaguely reminiscent of the new" Flight of the Bumblebee ".

JFK / Defector

A monologue of Kennedy's famous speech at the Waldorf-Astoria 27 April 1961, based on a string and electric guitars, opens and closes the song. Words give way to another riff granite: "Defector" is a song with echoes of the great inspirations of the Muse, Queen, voice layered with openings to emphasize the newfound freedom of the protagonist: "Free, yeah I'm free from society . You can not control me. I'm a defector."

Revolt

Another song, straight, perhaps one of the straightest of the album, with a nice opening melody and a couple of changes of time, while the protagonist sings the doubts of rebellion ("How did we get in so much trouble? / Getting out just Seems impossible "). One of the next single?

Aftermath

It slows down for the first time, with a Gioro strings and a guitar that reminds us of the first Dire Straits (yes, really), then opens in a ride that seems to "One", that similarity is strengthened when Bellamy enters with the gentle voice, and when he gets the battery. The only thing that looks like a love song: "From this moment, you'll never be alone."

The Globalist/Drones

is continued in decline: openness to Ennio Morricone, with the melody whistled, almost western style, highlighted by the slide and acoustic. The voice comes after the long instrumental intro, to sing the end of 'illusion of freedom, the hero takes up with the power of the drones, use them to destroy. For half the song recalls Radiohead, prior to the beginning of sound that marks the countdown to destruction, when they return electric guitars. After the destruction , turns into a ballad piano and voice. In short, the classic suite of end disk Muse, 13 minutes that flow into song almost church - there is a happy ending: "Killed by drones (now you can kill from your safety of your home with drones. "The last word is, not surprisingly," Amen. "

Edited by Tobiiiaaas

They contribute because they give some distance to statements about what it "implies" to have a cohesive album. That's obviously not what it implies for others, so it's a null point.

You're the only one here that bothers with arguing semantics, I'm pretty sure people can look up what the word means rather than take my word religiously, while you point out that my obvious interpretation of the word is an obvious interpretation.

If we go by Google translate:

Handler has some sort of flgiht of the bumblebee fast guitar riff

Revolt sounds like another single

Aftermath sounds like Dire Straights mixed with One by U2

Globalist is very long, there is a very long intro, followed by slow singing and a countdown, then after countdown is the heavy rock, then after is a slow ballad

Drones is 13 minutes? Sounds like a classical song that ends beautifully

Globalist is very long, there is a very long intro, followed by slow singing and a countdown, then after countdown is the heavy rock, then after is a slow ballad

No, the article combines Globalist and Drones so in total the two tracks are 13 minutes.

You're the only one here that bothers with arguing semantics, I'm pretty sure people can look up what the word means rather than take my word religiously, while you point out that my obvious interpretation of the word is an obvious interpretation.
is you interpretation obvious when it disagrees with the one of nearly everyone who has complained about muses lack of cohesiveness?

is you interpretation obvious when it disagrees with the one of nearly everyone who has complained about muses lack of cohesiveness?

People throw out words and don't define them; if people want to have a discussion or debate a point, they have to define the terms. It's elementary. And you say "everyone" yet you're the only one coming at me :rolleyes: Tjet by the books. I know you love playing devil's advocate and arguing, but come now if you want to argue at least avoid semantics because that's when it's most obvious you're doing what you're doing.

People throw out words and don't define them; if people want to have a discussion or debate a point, they have to define the terms. It's elementary. And you say "everyone" yet you're the only one coming at me :rolleyes: Tjet by the books. I know you love playing devil's advocate and arguing, but come now if you want to argue at least avoid semantics because that's when it's most obvious you're doing what you're doing.
1. It's been like an hour since this started. Shocker that the whole board hasn't replied. Shit point.

2. It's 9-10 in the morning on a Wednesday in most of Europe atm. Once again shocker that you haven't gotten a lot of replies.

3. Some people just don't care to argue, doesn't mean that they agree with you.

4. I'm not saying everyone disagrees with you, I'm saying everyone who's been complaining about cohesiveness, since those people obviously don't share your views. The post that started our debate was you replying to someone of that opinion, so obviously I'm not alone.

I think Globalist is 13 minutes long.... I think it says something like 'the 13 minute song leads to... [Drones]..."

1. It's been like an hour since this started. Shocker that the whole board hasn't replied. Shit point.

2. It's 9-10 in the morning on a Wednesday in most of Europe atm. Once again shocker that you haven't gotten a lot of replies.

3. Some people just don't care to argue, doesn't mean that they agree with you.

4. I'm not saying everyone disagrees with you, I'm saying everyone who's been complaining about cohesiveness, since those people obviously don't share your views. The post that started our debate was you replying to someone of that opinion, so obviously I'm not alone.

1. Swearing because you're frustrated isn't a good thing. It's not a "shit point" either that I'm observing you're the only one upset enough about my opinions to either undermine or attack them with such ardor.

2. America is a thing.

3. You're not a voice for those who "don't care" to voice their own, supposedly, "dissenting" opinions against me. I never implied they agree with me at any point, either. That's how opinions work.

4. How would you know if they share my views? They may well listen to the exact same bands I do and just to, have the same definitions that I do, and just simply conclude in their mind and according to their own ears that it's not cohesive to them.

I was offering an explanation of my opinion, not defecating on theirs. Chill

Edited by jonisdead

I wish Muse made another crazy song like You Fucking Motherfucker. Shit's been my alarm clock sound since forever. I mean, since we already have new Starlight, why not have another Hidden Track?

“You kill by remote control, the world is on your side, you’ve got the CIA, babe, now I am radicalized."

Reapers, the song about drones and babes, everyone.

Hahaha is that the confirmed chorus? Where did you get that from?

To get back (sort of) on topic, I'm quite disappointed (not sure if that's the right word actually) that we've heard so much of this album already, and still 3 weeks to go until the release date. Don't get me wrong, I'd be pulling my hair out now if we still hadn't heard anything by now, and I could hardly have avoided the 3 officially released songs anyway (or Reapers for that matter, seeing as I was at the Newport gig). And yes, I know, I know, it's my fault for being weak and chasing down the Globalist/Defector Making of leak, but I can't help myself, I just like Muse too much not to listen to what's out there.

But a part of me would just like the album released without warning and without previews/reviews. Imagine how incredible that would be, to be able to listen to the songs for the first time without any prejudice. That would really excite me. I'm a bit of a U2 fan too, so the release of Songs of Innocence came as a huge shock and I really enjoyed listening to all those new songs afresh.

And yes, before anyone says it, I know I'm weak and it's my own fault. I'm just thinking out loud here.