The problem with the last two albums is that they are musically all over the place.

Guiding Light doesn't appeal to me and IBTY still sounds ridiculous, the french breakdown is a real 'wtf?' moment

About IBTY. I always loved the bit where he sung "You are my Muu....." and after the french interlude it picked up from that point ".....uuuussse"

Always thought that was cool. Has good lyrics and love the bass tone.

As for GL I just love that pinch harmonic :LOL:

About IBTY. I always loved the bit where he sung "You are my Muu....." and after the french interlude it picked up from that point ".....uuuussse"

The song itself would be fine without that breakdown, though still an album filler. It just sounds so strange compared to their back catalogue up to that point

The song itself would be fine without that breakdown, though still an album filler. It just sounds so strange compared to their back catalogue up to that point

Like I said previously, for me TR marked a musical change in direction.

They flirted with it in BHAR and fully committed to it in TR.

From that point they were a lot more open to experimentation with a lot of different types of genre. taking it even further with T2L.

In the context of the album it's an okay song I guess.

I can see why it might not be everybody favourite song but personally I don't mind it.

Edited by CatchHellBlues

I never noticed that :LOL:

Took me a while to night it TBH :LOL:

Back slightly to the previous topic, new stuff always seems to get shat on. BHAR just a lot of shit prior to TR, I;ve seen comments about Absolution being bad prior to the release of BHAR too. A couple years down the line I reckon both TR and T2L will be favoured a bit more

Back slightly to the previous topic, new stuff always seems to get shat on. BHAR just a lot of shit prior to TR, I;ve seen comments about Absolution being bad prior to the release of BHAR too. A couple years down the line I reckon both TR and T2L will be favoured a bit more

Yep, hindsight is a wonderful thing :)

When TIRO was released:LOL:

I do remember feeling a little down on Abso at first, the lack of Fury and how flat The Small Print sounded on record.

I know some people that abandoned Muse after Origin because it didn't sound like Showbiz

T2L as an album has no age-well potential. Showbiz is 10x more sonically consistent than T2L and that's saying something. I know it was obviously their intention to produce each song as a single, that's definitely a cool thing but they really should have just released those as a stream of singles like they had thought about doing with TR.

T2L as an album has no age-well potential. Showbiz is 10x more sonically consistent than T2L and that's saying something. I know it was obviously their intention to produce each song as a single, that's definitely a cool thing but they really should have just released those as a stream of singles like they had thought about doing with TR.

10x0=0 :rolleyes:

For the faults in the songs themselves, I think The 2nd Law has excellent production, while what's been on this one so far isn't as well produced. This was a view before the whole view exchange on Mercy, given I find Psycho lacks the oomph and also doesn't sound as good on half-volume.

Maybe that'll change when we hear the whole thing, ehdunno.

My concern about this album is that despite their insistence that it was a 'back to basics rock album' it doesn't appear to be anything like that. Still time to be proven wrong though obviously.

I personally think it'll just be another T2L...

I really think what we've heard so far is waaaaay better than pretty much anything on T2L tbh. And still sounds like the best is yet to come

I really think what we've heard so far is waaaaay better than pretty much anything on T2L tbh. And still sounds like the best is yet to come

It's not the quality of the track that makes me think this, it's that I think after listening to them they could very well be from a different album. They all sound like they could be from something else, i.e. not cohesive...

I made this point to my friend today and he agreed.

Edited by CatchHellBlues

Didn't you know that as well? :LOL:

TR was my first Muse album, and I always loved that clever bit of lyrical reference to themselves. Plus having a bass clarinet is just so brave and IMO it works perfectly for the nature of the song. Let's just say someone promised me Queen as I got into Muse, and I was not disappointed by IBTY. :D

TR was my first Muse album, and I always loved that clever bit of lyrical reference to themselves. Plus having a bass clarinet is just so brave and IMO it works perfectly for the nature of the song. Let's just say someone promised me Queen as I got into Muse, and I was not disappointed by IBTY. :D

Good song and good lyrics IMO

I really like IBTY but so much not the French bit... Bassoon solo is epic, though!

Descriptions of this album have me so confused about what to expect, but we'll just have to wait and see. So far this album sounds like it's a million miles above T2L, though, which is great. My love for that album declined rapidly after the honeymoon period...

If Reapers, Handler, Defector and Globalist deliver then I'll consider the album a success in my eyes. Dead Inside and Psycho are alright but Mercy is just plain gash!

I've listened to Mercy twice since downloading it off iTunes. It's just not clicking with me. It needs a guitar solo or something...it's too basic otherwise. Even Madness got more plays out of me!

I've listened to Mercy twice since downloading it off iTunes. It's just not clicking with me. It needs a guitar solo or something...it's too basic otherwise. Even Madness got more plays out of me!

Errr... What?

...each to their own I guess. Haha!

EDIT: Agree with the rest though, if those songs are good'uns then this album will be perfect for me!

Errr... What?

...each to their own I guess. Haha!

EDIT: Agree with the rest though, if those songs are good'uns then this album will be perfect for me!

Madness had a certain charm initially because it was so different. I never listen to it now, but at first I gave it a good chance.

Mercy though...it's like Muse on auto pilot. B-Side material.