everyone hears something else. there's a fine line between an ac/dc riff and a ratm riff.

what everyone seems to hear as ac/dc in reapers, i hear bombtrack. the bits of reapers that sound like classic rock evoke 70s lynyrd skynyrd more than ac/dc, as well. And in my world, that is a MUCH more flattering comparison.

muse have never been about dominating critical reviews. the strongest muse album will have maybe 70% positive critical reaction. i have always hoped each album would have 3-5 compelling tracks to add or rotate into the live show.

I've just found out that Pitchfork actually rated T2L higher than BHaR, dafuq

completely unsurprising. i thought about mentioning them by name in a US-critic rant but refrained.

it seems muse may have turned a corner and are no longer hated by Rolling Stone, at least. Not as if I value their opinion anyway, either.

Additionally the german review says nothing about the quality of the Songs, the author only complaints that Matt Bellamy is not the right guy to make a concept album about such a serious topic - "it's like a blockbuster director makes an anti-war movie"

You know, the more I think about Muse's production issues, the more it annoys me. There are tiny-budget independent bands producing albums as good as something recorded by George Martin at Abbey Road these days. And then there's Muse who a) Seem not to be able to make very good albums without the influence of a producer or b) Hire producers who shit all over the music.

Additionally the german review says nothing about the quality of the Songs, the author only complaints that Matt Bellamy is not the right guy to make a concept album about such a serious topic - "it's like a blockbuster director makes an anti-war movie"

This is what they've opened themselves up to, honest, and T2L was a big offender, too.

Multi-million dollar artists making socio/political statements that their audience relates to, just like talking about the energy crisis while putting on an embarrassingly consumptive stage show.

I go back and forth with how I feel on this, but it's hard to think a rich artist with Hollywood connections REALLY relates to me enough to write things like Uprising, Unnatural Selection, etc.

That said, they're not reviewing Bellamy's belief system, or the authenticity of it - I want to hear how the music sounds.

Let's be honest though, reviews aren't really meant to tell us what songs sound like, they're not previews. We're lucky if we get intricate descriptions, but really it's about their opinions of the music.

I go back and forth with how I feel on this, but it's hard to think a rich artist with Hollywood connections REALLY relates to me enough to write things like Uprising, Unnatural Selection, etc.

Yeah I don't understand how to some people being rich and famous means one can't care for things like that.

Yeah I don't understand how to some people being rich and famous means one can't care for things like that.

The point is that they might not be able to relate. It's very easy for privileged people to talk about what it's like not to be privileged as if it's a theoretical concept. Not that I'm saying this applies to Matt, because I have no idea.

Let's be honest though, reviews aren't really meant to tell us what songs sound like, they're not previews. We're lucky if we get intricate descriptions, but really it's about their opinions of the music.

Yeah but it seems the reviewers so far aren't giving their opinions on the music for the most part, only the lyrics and concept.

Was talking about some of these reviews and stuff with my Muse loving friend today and we both agree that the releases from this album have kind of followed a similar pattern to T2L

Dead Inside = Madness

Psycho = Supremacy

Mercy = Follow Me

Also played him the Reapers PS and he thought it was great. We're definitely less enthused by the album descriptions though...

Yeah but it seems the reviewers so far aren't giving their opinions on the music for the most part, only the lyrics and concept.
Well it's a concept album, so the concept is gonna get a lot of attention. The reviews I've read has had a fair mix of lyrical and musical content imo.

everyone hears something else. there's a fine line between an ac/dc riff and a ratm riff.

what everyone seems to hear as ac/dc in reapers, i hear bombtrack. the bits of reapers that sound like classic rock evoke 70s lynyrd skynyrd more than ac/dc, as well. And in my world, that is a MUCH more flattering comparison.

muse have never been about dominating critical reviews. the strongest muse album will have maybe 70% positive critical reaction. i have always hoped each album would have 3-5 compelling tracks to add or rotate into the live show.

No doubt about it that is sounds like Bombtrack IMO.

Well it's a concept album, so the concept is gonna get a lot of attention. The reviews I've read has had a fair mix of lyrical and musical content imo.

Well yeah they've described a bunch of the songs, I guess I was more hoping for something like "this song has an exciting metal riff that's the highlight of the song" or "the bass in this song sounds really monotone and uninspired."