Complete bullshit? Iffy usage of versus? Christ, is it observation and grammar derision time on this thread again? Apparently I've been long overdue... :rolleyes: You clearly understood what I meant, and I observed that people are more excited about Muse's return to form because there's something tangible there to look forward to that pleases older fans, whereas TR only really mentioned Exogenesis which the hype centered around, and T2L had no major focus around which any hype had grown. Expectations are higher for this album because we know what to expect. Satisfied?

How many older fans do you think there are though, considering you seem to believe it's gonna affect when it'll leak. As it's been said, no one is gonna risk their job to please a bunch of fans.

The hype for T2L was built around the shock factor, hence the Unsustainable trailer. And it was very talked about at the time that it would be inspired by OoS due to R/L 2011. Then there was the hinting by Matt that they were experimenting a lot with new genres.

TR was pretty much hyped as a prog-heavy album with some of the heaviest material they'd ever written (Dom), and for both albums the band talked about going back to basics. And Uprising was huge as a single, so that increased the hype loads.

How many older fans do you think there are though, considering you seem to believe it's gonna affect when it'll leak. As it's been said, no one is gonna risk their job to please a bunch of fans.

The hype for T2L was built around the shock factor, hence the Unsustainable trailer. And it was very talked about at the time that it would be inspired by OoS due to R/L 2011. Then there was the hinting by Matt that they were experimenting a lot with new genres.

TR was pretty much hyped as a prog-heavy album with some of the heaviest material they'd ever written (Dom), and for both albums the band talked about going back to basics. And Uprising was huge as a single, so that increased the hype loads.

If anyone's going to risk their job it's because they're a fan themselves. I don't see a fan passing up an opportunity to at least listen to it for themselves.

I don't recall Dom ever saying that, I would've definitely remembered him saying something as ridiculous as that, though I could be wrong. Uprising was a massive single, yes, but just as with Madness, it predominantly affected the mainstream crowd, as Dead Inside is not performing anywhere near those tracks.

Shock factor was valid for Unsustainable, and Psycho has garnered that and generated more buzz relative to Dead Inside on news sites and I would even say its release/controversial radio play has eclipsed Dead Inside's in many ways.

I'd be more willing to compare the hype build up to TR rather than T2L because TR seemed to be far more hype than T2L, especially given the lack of press/fan interaction/interviews given out during that era. I could also argue saying that Muse's near-religious presence on social media in avenues not dominated by Tom have also maintained a constant flow of interest.

This album is not hyped more than T2L. That's just wrong. It's pretty much the exact same as the last 2 albums.

I don't think you're right about T2L. That album was not hyped nearly as much as TR.

Do people reckon we're over that initial hype period for DI and Psycho now?

I'm trying to decide whether my liking the two songs is actually more grounded or just based on the whole "Oh it's a new Muse song and I'm really desperate to like this and for it to sound good"

I'm trying to decide whether my liking the two songs is actually more grounded or just based on the whole "Oh it's a new Muse song and I'm really desperate to like this and for it to sound good"

I'd say it's 100% done for Psycho, but the new Dead Inside video kind of resuscitates it in a way. I'd say it'll take a couple more weeks for that one.

If anyone's going to risk their job it's because they're a fan themselves. I don't see a fan passing up an opportunity to at least listen to it for themselves.

I don't recall Dom ever saying that, I would've definitely remembered him saying something as ridiculous as that, though I could be wrong. Uprising was a massive single, yes, but just as with Madness, it predominantly affected the mainstream crowd, as Dead Inside is not performing anywhere near those tracks.

Shock factor was valid for Unsustainable, and Psycho has garnered that and generated more buzz relative to Dead Inside on news sites and I would even say its release/controversial radio play has eclipsed Dead Inside's in many ways.

I'd be more willing to compare the hype build up to TR rather than T2L because TR seemed to be far more hype than T2L, especially given the lack of press/fan interaction/interviews given out during that era. I could also argue saying that Muse's near-religious presence on social media in avenues not dominated by Tom have also maintained a constant flow of interest.

I don't think you're right about T2L. That album was not hyped nearly as much as TR.

Fair point.

He said that it had both the heaviest and softest songs they've ever done. But exactly, Dead Inside isn't doing anywhere near as well, and the mainstream crowd IS a lot bigger than the hardcore fanbase, so about that hype...

Yeah Psycho did gain some attention. But again, not on the same level as Unsustainable. Oh and not to mention that TR and T2L had the pre-album treasure hunt thingies.

T2L was certainly less built up than TR, but that doesn't affect the amount of mainstream build-up that this album has gotten, which is zero.

Fair point.

He said that it had both the heaviest and softest songs they've ever done. But exactly, Dead Inside isn't doing anywhere near as well, and the mainstream crowd IS a lot bigger than the hardcore fanbase, so about that hype...

Yeah Psycho did gain some attention. But again, not on the same level as Unsustainable. Oh and not to mention that TR and T2L had the pre-album treasure hunt thingies.

T2L was certainly less built up than TR, but that doesn't affect the amount of mainstream build-up that this album has gotten, which is zero.

I'll give you that one, mainstream hype is one thing though, dedicated fanbase is another IMO. I think this is more hyped among hardcore fans because this really has shaped up to be make-it-or-break-it for a lot of fans, just as (from what I've heard) THP has been for Linkin Park.

Psycho getting press is probably the closest thing to any mainstream attention this record has gotten at all, really. TR did have the treasure hunt, but I don't think Isolated System was nearly as "effective" since it was a last minute kind of treat for fans before the album was released. That said, it's entirely possible such a thing might happen in the coming weeks for a possible 3rd track release that some are speculating might be either Reapers or The Handler. I have 0 expectations that they'll drop a new single this month given Dead Inside's poor commercial performance (compared to the last two lead singles) and they probably don't want to undermine any attention it gets.

In summary though, I agree that this album is the least (commercially) hyped among Muse's wider fanbase, but the most hyped of the last three since TR among the older fans, of which some are excited for a return to form and seeing exercised restraint with regards to experimentation.

Which isn't far off.

Which tracks would you consider heavy? Uprising is the only one that comes to mind really and it's not even that heavy.

Which tracks would you consider heavy? Uprising is the only one that comes to mind really and it's not even that heavy.

Gonna get to the rest of your post in a minute but...MK Ultra and US are both heavier than Uprising.

TBH I agree with most of that, it's just that when you say hype without specifying, it usually refers to Commercial, mainstream hype. Of course this album is more hyped amongst hardcore fans.

Edited by Tjet

Gonna get to the rest of your post in a minute but...MK Ultra and US are both heavier than Uprising.

I'll edit this one too when yours goes up. Okay you win this one. US is the most "heavy" on the album, but the production makes it seem half-baked in heaviness when compared to something like.. Survival. It completely pales in comparison in that regard. IMO the guitar only "kicks" during the chorus and the last 10 seconds of the outro. The drums even have more attack than the guitar throughout the entire song. I just wouldn't regard it as something "heavy" in my eyes. MK, no contest, but it still feels very "light" because of the main riff, although it has that heavy riff outro and the pre-chorus.

i thought it leaked then got streamed early on jb hi fi's website?

maybe i'm just thinking of the jb hi fi stream

AFAIK it went on the JB HIFI website the day it was meant to (I'm from Australia).

The Second Law definitely did leak guys. There was an anonymous YouTube upload of the entire album about a week before release (.

Nah brah, I was (still am) compulsively checking this forum + everywhere else for a leak, it only went online when JB HIFI put it onto their streaming network - and that is when the forum agreed if you go back to that thread.

I'll edit this one too when yours goes up. Okay you win this one. US is the most "heavy" on the album, but the production makes it seem half-baked in heaviness when compared to something like.. Survival. It completely pales in comparison in that regard. IMO the guitar only "kicks" during the chorus and the last 10 seconds of the outro. The drums even have more attack than the guitar throughout the entire song. I just wouldn't regard it as something "heavy" in my eyes. MK, no contest, but it still feels very "light" because of the main riff, although it has that heavy riff outro and the pre-chorus.
Done.

But yeah production really brings US down, which is already a pretty dull song.

fwiw, I had access to every album 1-2 weeks before release since Abso, and I make absolute shit money at my job. But having "stole from client/employer" on someone's permanent record is insanely not worth hearing an album a few days early.

People who work in shipping have access a bit before that, but it's even more obvious if they deliver an open/partially empty box, isn't it?

So yeah, fans have passed up that opportunity plenty...

I sort of feel like they got people to pre-order right at the height of the hype and now they just aren't trying anymore.

And I thought the promotion for T2L was lame.

Oh I thought it was about T2L.

Oh no, T2L is definitely heavier than TR. I took issue with the production in general with on that album because for some odd reason Matt didn't want to multi-track guitars and it worked against the end-product IMO, but the single-tracked guitars still sounded beefier than on TR and that's saying something. :rolleyes: