Just realised it's that first listen party isn't it. Should be interesting but im with others when they say Muse fans have a tendency to overreact after initial listens, either one way or the other. "Madness sounds like Bliss" springs to mind.

"Madness sounds like Bliss", "Follow Me sounds like MOTP and Dead Star", "Reapers is the heaviest thing since Dead Star" (granted, that was after hearing it live which can muddy things a bit, still though...), the list goes on.

Seem to remember hearing something along the lines of Overture sounding like Micro Cuts a few years ago as well.

"Madness sounds like Bliss", "Follow Me sounds like MOTP and Dead Star", "Reapers is the heaviest thing since Dead Star" (granted, that was after hearing it live which can muddy things a bit, still though...), the list goes on.

Seem to remember hearing something along the lines of Overture sounding like Micro Cuts a few years ago as well.

Because all that characterizes Micro Cuts are the kinda-ghostly falsetto vocals... (EDIT: this is sarcasm)

What about saying Dead Inside sounds like Undisclosed Desires, MoTP and Madness? Does that sound farfetched?

Because all that characterizes Micro Cuts are the kinda-ghostly falsetto vocals... (EDIT: this is sarcasm)

What about saying Dead Inside sounds like Undisclosed Desires, MoTP and Madness? Does that sound farfetched?

Muse fans IMO need to learn precision with comparisons. The way I'd structure a comparison between an old and a new Muse song would be like... Dead Inside is minimal like Madness, but it differs from other Muse songs in that it shifts halfway through with the introduction of more guitar and a buildup less exciting or dramatic than that of Follow Me, for example. Man I don't know, its entirely possible for Muse fans to describe a new song by only using colorful words as they pertain to THAT SONG alone, and that's how I think it should be done.

The main thing I look forward to is hearing where this album stands in fans' rank ordering of the discography. I expect this to easy be top 4, ahead of TR, T2L, and Showbiz, but I would be highly excited if some put it in their top 2, nudging out BHAR and one of either Origin/Absolution.

The main thing I look forward to is hearing where this album stands in fans' rank ordering of the discography. I expect this to easy be top 4, ahead of TR, T2L, and Showbiz, but I would be highly excited if some put it in their top 2, nudging out BHAR and one of either Origin/Absolution.

That doesn't exactly tell you much either though. The album will obviously be hyped more straight after that exclusive listening party/its immediate release. It won't be until a few weeks after that people have a more balanced view.

That doesn't exactly tell you much either though. The album will obviously be hyped more straight after that exclusive listening party/its immediate release. It won't be until a few weeks after that people have a more balanced view.

Innit, I remember quite a lot of people (including myself :$) saying T2L was their 2nd or 3rd best album when it first came out. Now, it's probably considered their worst.

Innit, I remember quite a lot of people (including myself :$) saying T2L was their 2nd or 3rd best album when it first came out. Now, it's probably considered their worst.

Yeah, I rated it pretty highly too. I hardly listen to anything on it these days though. Isolated is still one of the best things they've done though I reck.

Yeah, I rated it pretty highly too. I hardly listen to anything on it these days though. Isolated is still one of the best things they've done though I reck.

I dunno, I rated T2L pretty low after initial listens. As an album it's bad, though it has some standout songs.

If I were reviewing any tracks off a new album (which I'm unfortunately not), I'd try not to draw comparisons to other Muse tracks, unless the connection was blatantly obvious.

Either way, I hope for some cohesive/accurate reviews (which we probably won't get. :LOL:)

When is this thing happening again...?

If I were reviewing any tracks off a new album (which I'm unfortunately not), I'd try not to draw comparisons to other Muse tracks, unless the connection was blatantly obvious.

Either way, I hope for some cohesive/accurate reviews (which we probably won't get. :LOL:)

When is this thing happening again...?

saturday

I don't HATE it, or any of the songs on it.

It's very uneven, with a couple of songs being still in my Top 10 or so, but also has some of the most forgettable and skippable tracks in their library.

The quality difference between that and OoS are immense.

The leap between Showbiz and OOS is maybe still the widest in their career. The sound and composition difference is indeed quite shocking (positively, I mean).

Showbiz has some solid tracks, I actually think they wrote their best b-sides around that era, but as songwriters they just took it up a notch since then. Luckily for us their music wasn't defined by their first record like Coldplay for example. Their music has only incorporated different elements but is very predictable

And while we're on the topic – Dead Inside sounds similar to Citizen Erased if you ask me. It's not the music, it's not the vocals. It just has that…I dunno… CE vibe, the same dark mood.

Has this twisted thought crossed anyone's mind?

And while we're on the topic – Dead Inside sounds similar to Citizen Erased if you ask me. It's not the music, it's not the vocals. It just has that…I dunno… CE vibe, the same dark mood.

Has this twisted thought crossed anyone's mind?

CE musically conveys a loss. There's the whole buildup going back and forth between soft and harsh sounding sections and of course that sweet sad outro. I can't say Dead Inside sounds like it because DI is produced to convey the message it has which is that this person is completely devoid of anytging. The bassline to me is just the poor guy's heartbeat being the only thing sustaining him really. The vocals are just him expressing what he sees and observes now because he literally has no emotion to convey anymore since he gave it all away. If I had to pick apart the second half of the song I'd say that the repetitive guitar chords are trying to convey the last basic human instinct through one last swell of any/all emotion he has left: aversion to death of any sort, in this case the complete death of a relationship and acknowledging he really is Dead Inside.

Tl;dr DI is less of an illustrative narrative sonically than CE is and there's no way to compare them unless you say sequentially DI comes after the emotional roller coaster that CE is.