I got the impression he was talking about the album as a whole, which fits with what we already know about it, but I know people were very concerned when DI came out, that Muse had lied about the album being heavy.

I think that would be a weird way to address a question about one specific song.

Yeah, pretty much exactly what I thought about that quote/Tweet. Thought it was worth putting it out there though, just in case.

Yeah, pretty much exactly what I thought about that quote/Tweet. Thought it was worth putting it out there though, just in case.

Another thing to note is that the interviewer said (in french)

"Dead Inside n'a rien a voir" which is an expression which pretty much means "has no relation to" or "has nothing to do with"

So it's safe to say Dead Inside will be the only pop-like song, aside from maybe aftermath

he was referring to the whole album

also

About the streamed iHeart gig

"Muse will be playing new songs from their upcoming album Drone which will be released on June 9th,"

So webster, iHeart and Mayan will have new songs

The iHeart page for this thing also says Muse "might" play other songs, and lists Madness and Uprising.

They could easily be counting Psycho and DI as the "new songs," but mostly I think they have no idea what's going on with it, either.

Also they get the title of the album wrong.

Or maybe Mutt didnt mean the last song specifically. The end of an album can just as well refer to the last few songs. Or as it has been said, maybe the tracklist changed.

Good point, tracklist may have been changed along the way, I'm really hoping it isn't an instrumental. 9 actual tracks with singing out of 12 isn't enough imo.

Good point, tracklist may have been changed along the way, I'm really hoping it isn't an instrumental. 9 actual tracks with singing out of 12 isn't enough imo.

I really do think it would've had a [bracket] designation if it was mainly instrumental/interlude. They've yet to have an outro track that isn't really strong, or even not a real "track" yet. One could argue Isolated System borders that but it's way more than "Interlude" by comparison, it's v solid.

They could argue. They'd be wrong, though.

'tis but a rhetorical argumentative structure. I was focusing on the song's structure as a full-fledged song versus being an instrumental, rather than asserting my take on the song as being solid.

'tis but a rhetorical argumentative structure. I was focusing on the song's structure as a full-fledged song versus being an instrumental, rather than asserting my take on the song as being solid.
Feels weird that you would question the legitimacy of instrumentals as real songs when you were arguing about the definition of post-rock a while back.

But what defines "a real track"?

Something actually more stretched out and standalone without just serving as something to append, like the bracketed transition tracks, or like if Drones turned out to be a Black Noise type of thing.

In this context at least. I think.

Feels weird that you would question the legitimacy of instrumentals as real songs when you were arguing about the definition of post-rock a while back.

I'm not questioning it, just saying some might argue that. Although in technical terms (at least based on whatever quality college education I'm getting here) instrumentals aren't songs because "songs" are characterized by the presence of vocals. Nonetheless the track has recorded snippets of vocals albeit not being Matt's, so it would be technically considered a song anyways.

Also I don't remember what I said back then but if my shitty memory serves me as expected then I won't ever remember

Something actually more stretched out and standalone without just serving as something to append, like the bracketed transition tracks, or like if Drones turned out to be a Black Noise type of thing.

In this context at least. I think.

Yeah. I mean a track can basically just be anything to fill in that track number, but in this context yes. I don't expect a minimalist outro-transition whatsoever, and to a lesser extent an instrumental track.

A real track is a track with #real music.

Something compelling a resurrection of Cal Chuchesta just for the sake of having him review it.

Song's definition includes lyrical singing which makes Isolated System an interesting case since it has words, for sure, but they're not really sung or meant to be, since they were recorded in a completely different context from the writing of the instrumental music, and doesn't really have structure.

Doesn't really matter, but just a thought.

Song is synonymous with track as far as I'm concerned.

Also, I count all tracks as real tracks, just as on a prog album I'd count a 30 minute track as one track, and a 20 second track as one track. It's easier to have a universal rule in this regard.

Do you guys ever sleep?

I try to but the internet.

Also differentiating song vs. track vs. instrumental etc. is very petty but at the same time there are formal definitions so if you want to go into semantics the criteria of a song is not a subjective list. It is well defined.

Obviously "real" track was bad wording. It was clear he just meant a non-interlude.

I try to but the internet.

Also differentiating song vs. track vs. instrumental etc. is very petty but at the same time there are formal definitions so if you want to go into semantics the criteria of a song is not a subjective list. It is well defined.

Obviously "real" track was bad wording. It was clear he just meant a non-interlude.

I try to but nobody wants to study for midterms.

And yes, real track was bad wording but was a #real way to word an apprehension by a #real Muse fan for a #really disappointing imaginary piece of music hypothetically ending the album in a lack luster way. If it were to exist.

This merited its own post:

"Machines is the seventh studio accumulation by English choice-rock band Muse. The accumulation was co-made by the band and Robert John “Mutt” Lange. The gathering craftsmanship was sketched out by American expert Matt Mahurin. Dream entered the studio in Toronto in October 2014. The gathering was made by AC/DC producer Robert John “Mutt” Lange. The main recording session completed on 19 October, with the band commenting its been excited.

- via an album leak site; description of the supposedly recently leaked LP7.

Super stoked for "Machines" by Dream, I don't know about you guys. Huge fan of "the gathering" album artwork too. It's been excited.

Edited by jonisdead