Do you like Reapers?  

698 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Reapers?

• Yes!!
    • Maybe
    • Nope
    • Electronically arousing

This song should be pushed to the radio stations , I think it could be a top 10

(this is for the LA area; this is from the fact that the radio stations replay the same tracks unless you ) bribe the DJ's to play something else)

(Like I said to The Handler- instead of Dead Inside)

I like all the songs btw

There is a point in each song that reaches the "psychedelic euphoria" that is Muse!

But there is an awkwardness in Dead Inside that stirs, and I don't think most will understand; which I like anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm quite new to the forum so I'm sorry if this has been said before, but isn't in this song the part from 2:57 until the end, the same as in Reapers?

Same chord progression probably, and at probably the same tempo. However the lyrics, melodies, backing instrumentation, solos, and endings are different, thus they are different songs. Perhaps you are new to the idea of similar sounding songs or songs with the same chord progression? If so I recommend you check out a video by The Axis of Awesome titled "Four Chords." Should explain a lot of popular music's formula for success.

Even after the shock of all the crazy fireworks Reapers contains has worn off, even after I know just what to expect, it's still a top ten Muse song for me, maybe top five. Easily the best song on Drones. HERE COME THE DRONES!!M

Yeah, I still love the riffs :D

Still prefer The Handler though ;)

Someone told me the tapping bits were around in some form since '09, but I haven't looked around.

I think I remember seeing something about that a while ago. Seemed like just the same old generic tapping Matt's been doing for years though, assuming we're referring to the same thing obvs.

Someone told me the tapping bits were around in some form since '09, but I haven't looked around.

I'd say lyrically it's pretty safe to assume it's all pretty recent, with Matt saying their producer had him redo a lot of it before recording.

Radicalized is a pretty non-specific term, though.

I like to imagine he says 'You've got reapers and hawks babe, now I am ridiculous' :happy:

tumblr_mlo8l5UPQG1r2328oo1_250.gif

Probably. I think they said Coachella '10 was one of them, outro to PiB maybe? I honestly have been too busy to check, when I'm at home, with sound.

I remember someone saying Reapers rehashes the live ending to PIB.

Really it's about as valid a complaint as comparing the Reapers outro to Freedom.

No idea if this has been mentioned before, but after listening to this song for probably the 100th time (my favorite on the album) I think I finally made out what the electro-synth voice is saying during the chorus:

"You can run but you can't hide"

Has this been conclusively confirmed/denied? Would fit perfectly with the theme of the song. Thoughts? Am I crazy for hearing that?

Yeah, it's been mentioned a fair bit. It's "You can run but you're never gonna hide".

How the fuck have I never heard it? :stunned:

Edit: in second thought; aren't the lines just "Killed by"?

Edited by OriAr

Edit: in second thought; aren't the lines just "Killed by"?

That's in the pre-chorus + the one that Chris does live. There's a separate synth voice that Morgan does towards the end of the solo (3:29 to 3:38) and the second chorus.

Home is becoming a killing field

There's a crosshair locked on my heart

With no recourse, and there's no one behind the wheel

Hellfire, you're wiping me out

Killed by...

Drones

Killed by...

Drones

Killed by...

You rule with lies and deceit

And the world is on your side

You've got the CIA babe

(You can run but you're never gonna hide)

(You can run but you're never gonna never gonna)

And all you've done is brutalise

(You can run but you're never gonna hide) x2

War, war just moved up a gear

I don't think I can handle the truth

I'm just a pawn, and we're all expendable

Incidentally electronically erased

By your...

Drones

Killed by...

Drones

Killed by...

You kill by remote control

You've got Reapers and Hawks, babe

Now I am radicalised

Drones

[guitar solo]

You rule with lies and deceit

You've got the CIA, babe

And all you've done is brutalise

You kill by remote control

You've got Reapers and Hawks, babe

Now I am radicalised

[bass solo]

Here come the drones

Here come the drones

Here come the drones

(Follow the yellow brick road)

I'm pretty sure because Psycho used an already existing riff, people just went looking for similar riffs they played live and started comparing them to songs off Drones.

Well not just Psycho? For a bunch of songs since the OoS era and probably earlier there's always been snippets of them that have been used as riffs before? And Psycho used 2 previous riffs

I know I'm pointing this out only now, but...

I've just now noticed how Reapers lyrics give me a very similar vibe to Judas Priest's Electric Eye.

They both talk about human advanced technology used in despicable ways, and they can be perfectly contextualised in their release periods: Electric Eye during the last years of Cold War and the use of satellites to monitorate society, Reapers during the aphex of Middle Eastern conflicts and the expanding drone warfare by USA.

What do you think?

I know I'm pointing this out only now, but...

I've just now noticed how Reapers lyrics give me a very similar vibe to Judas Priest's Electric Eye.

They both talk about human advanced technology used in despicable ways, and they can be perfectly contextualised in their release periods: Electric Eye during the last years of Cold War and the use of satellites to monitorate society, Reapers during the aphex of Middle Eastern conflicts and the expanding drone warfare by USA.

What do you think?

Intresting. I kind of agree, though Reapers seems more fun whereas EE is more intense.