Do you like Reapers?  

698 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Reapers?

• Yes!!
    • Maybe
    • Nope
    • Electronically arousing

Boyfriend and I just listened to this song over and over for nearly an hour straight on the good soundsystem (the giant Pomeranian *wailed* during the guitar solos, and just the guitar solos, the first time - we spent the rest of the time trying to recreate this with the camera rolling. :noey: What? It was fucking adorable.)

By the end, we gave up, and both looked at each other and grudgingly admitted that the song isn't *that* bad... we might add it to our playlists... I mean, it's kinda good... maybe one more time...

I still just love this song so much. The falsetto into that badass riff, catchy as all hell chorus that gets stuck in my head for days, a strange but awesome solo, and that outro.

If the bass were just higher in the mix, this would be a 10/10.

I've heard it said that Reapers is the scariest Muse song. Does anyone on here think that? Because I don't see how anyone could come to that conclusion.

I actually sort of agree with this. I think Reapers, coupled with its lyric video, does the best job of helping you (well, me, at least) to viscerally feel the things that Matt is literally talking about, ie drone attacks, the attitudes of the people behind these machines.

The choruses make me think of the Ride of the Valkyries scene from Apocalypse Now:

That is, the attackers are in this frenzied, blissful, happy, and bloodthirsty state, which is what makes it scary - the total lack of empathy.

Then you've got the outro which sort of speaks to the reality of the drone attacks when you're someone on the ground. Not so fun now, is it?

The "Follow the yellow brick road" voices are quite creepy throughout and especially at the end. It's typical Muse to go from badass heavy rock shouting "Here come the drones" to the creepy static voices in under one minute, but that's why we love them :musesign:

I've come around to this one a bit. Maybe the context of the album helped.

Still would rather those backing vocals in the second half of the chorus weren't there; just too camp.

And it falls into the "wtf is going on with this guitar solo/bridge/whatever" feeling pretty much all of the album gives me.

But, I listen to it now. Intentionally, even.

I've come around to this one a bit. Maybe the context of the album helped.

Still would rather those backing vocals in the second half of the chorus weren't there; just too camp.

And it falls into the "wtf is going on with this guitar solo/bridge/whatever" feeling pretty much all of the album gives me.

But, I listen to it now. Intentionally, even.

The guitar solo is one of the better ones they've ever done tho lmao :rolleyes:

I've heard it said that Reapers is the scariest Muse song. Does anyone on here think that? Because I don't see how anyone could come to that conclusion.

Me neither, quite the opposite actually. While the lyrical content is about machines killing people from the sky, it's a bit tongue-in-cheek & the whole thing is actually quite fun in my opinion.

One thing (out of many) I find nice about Reapers is how well the music fits the concept.

The two tapping solos give me a mental image of a pack of drones raining down from the sky; sort of like a Musey version of "Ride of the Valkyries".

The verses have a nice sense of urgency to them, and then you get smashed over the head with this lumbering caveman riff. The Scissor Sisters-ish chorus that follows provides yet another big contrast to the previous section, but it fits strangely with the exhilaration and adrenaline of war.

Contrast Mercy, which is basically Starlight with paranoid conspiracy lyrics. I find just skipping Mercy and going straight from Psycho to Reapers improves the flow drastically.

The "Follow the yellow brick road" voices are quite creepy throughout and especially at the end. It's typical Muse to go from badass heavy rock shouting "Here come the drones" to the creepy static voices in under one minute, but that's why we love them :musesign:

I only thought they were at the end! Where else do they pop up?

To be fair a lot of Muse songs are quite haunting when you think about what they are singing about e.g. Reapers, but also CE, Hoodoo etc.

Also has anyone else noticed on the lyric video, the name of the drone (bottom right) is called He-3 Drone as in Helium-3. A bit more of a subtle way of putting it in then "Helium-3, our last hooope"