Do you like Reapers?  

698 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Reapers?

• Yes!!
    • Maybe
    • Nope
    • Electronically arousing

LOVE the new song, what the hell is everyone complaining about? Great use of the falsetto, amazing if somewhat improvised guitar solo THATS A FREAKIN MINTUE+ LONG, sweet riff, excellent outro (granted that may or may not be apart of the finished studio version) and on top of that I don't think Chris' Bass has sounded this good on new songs (this song and Psycho) since the days of Absolution.

So my question to you so called "hardcore Musers" would be if this song doesn't do it for you (keep in mind rough/first live version) then what EXACTLY do you want a NEW muse song to sound like?

I mean I just feel if you don't at the very least think this song is decent then the only conclusion that I think Muse could come to to make some of the Hardcore Musers happy would be to re-record Origin of Symmetry and name it something different.

Lol I guess this is what I sounded like when I defended Psycho :LOL: sorry. Anyways this song just isn't that interesting as a track as a whole. Some interesting bits here and there, fun rock out track but Matt drops the ball on the chorus and his guitar during the outro is yawn worthy. Not to mention the main riff is a RATM rip off nearly note for note.

What has origin of symmetry got to do with anything? I swear it's mentioned more often by ultra-defensive fanboys than the so-called "hardcore Musers who want OoS pt.2".

Also the longer the solo the lower the chances I enjoy it, personally. The falsetto sounds awful. The sections of the song don't fit with one another. Verses, bridge and outro are ok on their own.

The live mixing certainly didn't help it... Guitar was sort of low, vocals were practically nonexistant, and the drums were too much. It just sounds sort of like nothing in every video I watch / listen to. I look forward to hearing the studio version (or a remixed pro-shot...) to find out what they were really going for.

What has origin of symmetry got to do with anything? I swear it's mentioned more often by ultra-defensive fanboys than the so-called "hardcore Musers who want OoS pt.2".

Also the longer the solo the lower the chances I enjoy it, personally. The falsetto sounds awful. The sections of the song don't fit with one another. Verses, bridge and outro are ok on their own.

Well put, it's a disjointed mix of good standalone components. The only great thing is that the track doesn't lose steam.

This song is an absolute beast!

I think the falsetto sounds great, it only sounds as bad as any phone recording of his falsetto live.

On the album, it will definitely sound better. I'm not getting the 80s vibe, the classic rock vibe, yes. The solo is very Muse-y with that tinge of classic rock that sets it off really perfectly.

My point being that nothing since Black Holes and Revelations has made Musers happy for the most part, (rare exceptions being Supremacy and maybe Exogenesis) look if you or any other Muser don't like Psycho I get that. I really do, cause it has horrible lyrics and its based around a riff thats 16 years old. And honestly at the end of the day if you just simply think as you say "the falsetto sounds awful" in Reapers I'm cool with that too. But for my money they can write this kind of song (reapers) all day long. I mean isn't it better than at least half there catalog? that's probably where i'd put it, some where in the top third or at least top half and thats without hearing the studio version, which could change my opinion.

But bottom line to each his/her own.

The verses are ace. Outro was probably my favourite part, but the drumming, the epic breakdown in the middle, the guitar freakouts/mathy elements etc. The instrument work here is amazing, Matt and Dom in particular have really stepped up their game.

Yup. That prog/math-rock breakdown where they're all coordinated together is just amazing. Reminds me of King Crimson.