Do you like Drones (song)?  

241 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Drones (song)?

• Yes
    • A little
    • No

I'm suspecting it's an arrangement of an already existing piece, but I don't know which one. In every review it seems they name a different piece it's supposed to be based on. Would like it Matt actually came up with this one himself, though.

It's the Benedictus from Palestrina's Missa Papae Marcelli.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qevcHGxxVg

Edited by Cally

It's the Benedictus from Palestrina's Missa Papae Marcelli.

Indeed it is, thank you!

Slightly disappointing, but it's certainly a more interesting choice for a cover than Feeling Good... heh.

Edited by MalvaBlanco

I received the album this morning. I haven't read all the previous comments yet so, if anyone has already mentioned the name 'Palestrina,' my apologies.

I have a degree in music. We had to learn to write in the styles of various composers. I was fine with Bach, Mozart, Debussy etc but I could never, EVER write a piece in the style of Palestrina. There were so many damn rules; I don't know how anyone could write anything that beautiful when there were so many rules, yet here is Matt Bellamy with NO degree writing a piece in the style of Palestrina and it sounds amazing! Forget the words; if he had really stuck to Palestrina's model, they would have been in Latin and very few people would have cared because the music is so wonderful.:D

That's what happens when you don't read the sleeve notes.:LOL:

As recorded sound hadn't been invented when Palestrina was alive, it's not a cover. As the sleeve notes state, it's an arrangement of a piece by Palestrina. And there I was thinking Matt had written a pastiche!:rolleyes:

Trivia Moment.

Do you know the conceptual idea behind this track could be an idea derived from an old version of New Born? In fact, it seems the guys wanted the intro melody at the piano to be singed by Matt's interposed voices. Unfortunately, they dropped it, because at the time they ended up thinking it might have been too abstract.

Trivia Moment.

Do you know the conceptual idea behind this track could be an idea derived from an old version of New Born? In fact, it seems the guys wanted the intro melody at the piano to be singed by Matt's interposed voices. Unfortunately, they dropped it, because at the time they ended up thinking it might have been too abstract.

That's pretty much what's at the end of New Born though, isn't it?

Trivia Moment.

So not really trivia moment, more like speculation moment.

The piano intro is better than what I think an acapella harmony could have been.