Do you like The Globalist?  

397 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like The Globalist?

• Yes
    • Somewhat
    • No

Feels like wasted potential with this one. The middle part feels completely out of place, not to mention the melody for the entire final third is a mix between Nimrod and Soaked. If they hadn't hyped it up as Citizen Erased part 2, I'd view it differently, but as it is, it's a bit of a letdown.

Feels like wasted potential with this one. The middle part feels completely out of place, not to mention the melody for the entire final third is a mix between Nimrod and Soaked. If they hadn't hyped it up as Citizen Erased part 2, I'd view it differently, but as it is, it's a bit of a letdown.

They shot themselves in the foot with that comparison.

The piano ballad wouldn't even be a problem if the song had good transitions and a longer heavy part (preferrably with vocals). Genuinely a missed opportunity.

Yeah agree with this. Weird to think that a 10 minute song is too short, but it definitely is.

I really hope they do something similar to what they do with B&H live and draw out that tremolo bit to make the transition to piano a lot smoother.

Guys, I think I may have figured a way they could play this live, cutting out the ending piano section (as a result of seeing the negative fan reaction).

The Globalist (until 6:35) STRAIGHT INTO Citizen Erased

I have a sneaky suspicion the band feels a sense of regret with this one. Awesome heroic beginning. Dat riff. DAT FUCKING TREMOLO SECTION. Then, an awkward piano section that:

A) transitions poorly from the heavy section

B) negates the drama and power of the section preceding it

C) quite frankly, is one of the weakest moments of the album

Dom and Chris are going to be bored out of their minds when they play the piano bit live, night after night. Even Matt will eventually lose heart. Cut the piano bit out completely. Replace it with something that actually extends the thunderous heavy section. Since The Globalist uses a drop-A tuning, this can be followed by either CE, Supremacy, or a random jam in drop-A. Since everyone and their grandmother clamours for CE, why not give the fans what we want? The best parts of The Globalist AND Citizen Erased? :eek:

Plus, Matt did say that they are going to be playing Citizen Erased and The Globalist. But, Matt being Matt, that could be wishful thinking :LOL:

Guys, I think I may have figured a way they could play this live, cutting out the ending piano section (as a result of seeing the negative fan reaction).

I have a sneaky suspicion the band feels a sense of regret with this one. Awesome heroic beginning. Dat riff. DAT FUCKING TREMOLO SECTION. Then, an awkward piano section that:

Dom and Chris are going to be bored out of their minds when they play the piano bit live, night after night. Even Matt will eventually lose heart. Cut the piano bit out completely. Replace it with something that actually extends the thunderous heavy section. Since The Globalist uses a drop-A tuning, this can be followed by either CE, Supremacy, or a random jam in drop-A. Since everyone and their grandmother clamours for CE, why not give the fans what we want? The best parts of The Globalist AND Citizen Erased? :eek:

Plus, Matt did say that they are going to be playing Citizen Erased and The Globalist. But, Matt being Matt, that could be wishful thinking :LOL:

so just Citizen Erased and none of the Globalist?

I just heard that riff ending (solo) for the first time. And wow. I´ve never had such a musegasm. I mean. I just shat a brick.

:stunned::facemelt:

And yea. They could pretty much jump straight into survival after that...

... and continue on with guiding light and neutron star collision...

But the piano bit is awesome!

But the piano bit is awesome!

IMO, (well it's more like "i'm hoping for") they will play it differently live, maybe a section that didn't make it to the album on the heavy part, bcus that transition to the piano section it would be impossible for matt to do live.

well either that or they won't be playing it or they'll do the same kind transition they make since 2007 (i think) with CE, to the piano section.

I think the reason some think the heavy part is too short is because the drums take ages to kick in. So they don't start counting until then.

It's too short because the best part - the tremolo part - lasts barely over 15 seconds. And then they basically deliberately mush everything up so they don't have to bother with any kind of actual sensible resolution of the melody into the piano bit.

EDIT: I should say though, this is easily my favourite of the 2nd half songs. It's just so bafflingly structured, I'm genuinely unsure how they thought this would do justice to the potential the song had. It almost sounds... unfinished.

, maybe a section that didn't make it to the album on the heavy part, bcus that transition to the piano section it would be impossible for matt to do live.

I can't understand that, why they can't put in the album something they can't replicate live? If sounds good on the record i'm fine with it.

It might be a controversial opinion but I think that the heavy part is the dullest part of the song. Not even the piano part. It's just the same easy riff all over with little changes. THe parts before and after are even more versatile.

But I love the heavy part as well just everyone seem to lose their minds for that part.

I can't understand that, why they can't put in the album something they can't replicate live? If sounds good on the record i'm fine with it.

no idea sadly..:(

they did the same thing with assassin even though we got GOB version as a b-side, i would've loved it if it was a part of the BHAR album.

but that's the thing they do that a lot they cancel so pretty cool sections for the albums.

maybe so it can sell? maybe.

Despite tht i still love this song it is just another crazy muse song and i cnt wait to see it live

Just dreaming CE + this on live..

Looking forward to see it! :stongue:

It might be a controversial opinion but I think that the heavy part is the dullest part of the song. Not even the piano part. It's just the same easy riff all over with little changes. THe parts before and after are even more versatile.

But I love the heavy part as well just everyone seem to lose their minds for that part.

I actually agree. I think the heavy bit is just long enough to keep it interesting, and to make it longer would have actually been to the song's detriment. I personally think that the whole thing works well together, and making the heavy bit longer would have detracted from the orchestra and piano

After a few more listens, I feel this is a masterpiece. It might know feel cohesive at first listen, but the more you listen the better it gets. I had a similar feeling with Exogenesis.

I actually agree. I think the heavy bit is just long enough to keep it interesting, and to make it longer would have actually been to the song's detriment. I personally think that the whole thing works well together, and making the heavy bit longer would have detracted from the orchestra and piano

I guess you are right. We just need to accept it the way it is. Maybe that makes it more special.