Do you like The Globalist?  

397 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like The Globalist?

• Yes
    • Somewhat
    • No

It's actually the riff where this starts going wrong for me. Up until then it's a really atmospheric, sweeping song with lovely vocals. Then the riff kicks in and it's pretty average, which it then compounds by going off on a build to nowhere. The final part really does sound like they dug out an unused USoE take and recorded new vocals.

It's not a bad song really, but it reminds me a lot of Butterflies and Hurricanes in that it's trying to be the epic centrepiece of the album but it just isn't quite up to the job.

Butterflies and Hurricanes is the best song Muse have ever written, don't compare this shite to it

*shrugs* I'd quite happily cut the song off at the point the riff starts - it does nothing much for me at all. The Morricone intro into the slide guitar section is really beautiful and flows along nicely until that point.

Perhaps it's just how it's placed in the song.

Edit: Oh, and Butterflies and Hurricanes would be the best song Muse ever wrote if it wasn't for the fact they've written at least 20 better ones.

Opinions? :happy:

Yer people have a lot of opinions when it comes to music

Here is an example of a wrong opinion

Edit: Oh, and Butterflies and Hurricanes would be the best song Muse ever wrote if it wasn't for the fact they've written at least 20 better ones.

My opinion is the right opinion :p

So I was listening to The Globalist for the first time with my girlfriend. Got to the heavy guitar part and after about 20 seconds she looked at me with disgust and said:

"Can you fast forward it please"

:LOL:

I actually enjoy more the first part, I love how Matt sings. And I also enjoy the western feeling. The riff just goes on, and on, and on, so I think I get why she said that to you :LOL::LOL:. The countdown was cool, though, and I like the vocals in that part too.

Is not long if the song is great. Heck, I listen to 1+ hour long symphonies :LOL:, sadly this song is just good, not great.

This is pretty much my feeling. It's an OK song, but I much prefer Matt's clean guitar work. I think if there was more of that in place of the symphonic elements, and the ending piano part, I'd be more inclined to really like this song.

I don't mind the length at all! I just don't like that it goes flaccid when things were heating up. :noey:

Yes, it does seem to fall flat when the USoE piano kicks in.

Let me guess, you're not a prog metal person? :LOL:

I suppose that would depend on your definition of prog metal. I love Tool and I've liked Steven Wilson's last couple of releases.

My problem is the song feels like it is 10 minutes for the sake of being 10 minutes, if that makes sense.

I don't mind the length at all! I just don't like that it goes flaccid when things were heating up. :noey:

The "long song with a fairly calm 1st section, heavy middle section and then very calm ending section" type of song is really good when done right

The following song goes flaccid after going heavy as fuck but is still fantastic

The "long song with a fairly calm 1st section, heavy middle section and then very calm ending section" type of song is really good when done right

The following song goes flaccid after going heavy as fuck but is still fantastic

Yeah, it could have been done similar to that! The Globalist bit at the end doesn't work well with the song. It had a lot of potential.