Do you like The Globalist?  

397 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like The Globalist?

• Yes
    • Somewhat
    • No

With all this talk of Drones: The Musical I could see this being great towards the end. Post-aftermath, the protagonist is old and reads his child the story of The Globalist. The two of them sitting in the corner of the stage while the story is acted out around them.

Just a strange image that's been in my head! :D

It has grown on me, and I'm okay with the heavy part. Would have been nice with some proper vocals with lyrics for that part, but meh.

With all this talk of Drones: The Musical I could see this being great towards the end. Post-aftermath, the protagonist is old and reads his child the story of The Globalist. The two of them sitting in the corner of the stage while the story is acted out around them.

Just a strange image that's been in my head! :D

Sounds cliche as fuck.

I've heard this song enough times to form an opinion on it...I like it, but I do have a few qualms with it. The first being the nimrod copy...Matt can write good piano; why did he feel the need to borrow instead of compose? It sounds lovely though, and I like what he did with it.

My second gripe has been echoed by a few people already, but it really doesn't flow as well as it could/should. I actually think the transition to the massive riff is okay, but the transition to the piano is really jarring. It's like it interrupts the last chord of the guitar, and there's no time to breathe and acknowledge that the chaos is over. In the context of the story I feel like the protagonist would take a short moment either out of shock or just to contemplate the amount of destruction, and as a listener I want the time to properly visualize it and process as well. But nope, we jump right in with the...rage? Grief? It's kind of ambiguous as to what the protagonist is feeling (ambiguous for once; that's not a complaint just an observation).

Finally I think the last line "I just wanted to be loved" is pretty poignant, and in my opinion they should've just ended with that instead of Drones, as delightful as Matt's singing is. Find a way to resolve it and end the song/album there. Instead The Globalist ends with harmonic tension so it doesn't feel resolved (which makes the transition to Drones harmonically necessary). So now we have a 10 minute track that doesn't even feel finished in isolation. It's a fun ride but a missed opportunity to be truly evocative in my opinion.

Edited by Absolute Eb

It has grown on me, and I'm okay with the heavy part. Would have been nice with some proper vocals with lyrics for that part, but meh.

Sounds cliche as fuck.

Because a Muse-ical (sorry, not sorry) totally wouldn't be corny in any way :LOL:

For me, this is the best song on the album. On my first listen, when that countdown started and the whole thing kicked of in such a brilliant way, I had tears in my eyes, similar to the tears that the ending of Citizen Erased often brings, in fact it happened on the second listening also. I'm a bloke. That doesn't happen very often, so, bonus. On the downside, the ending does sound like it should be a separate track, I wish the riffage lasted longer (as it is awesome) and overall it reminds me rather too much of Bohemian Rhapsody (fortunately though, that is also awesome). I would agree that given Matt's obvious talent it would be nice for some more original composition rather than ripping off Morricone and Elgar, but overall I am very happy with this song. Not perfect, 8/10, but quite satisfying.

I was thinking earlier how much better this would be if:

The part where the drums kick in fully was twice as long.

The Elgar part was removed.

That's all it would've taken.

So much this. I might just edit the song myself.

The Elgar part was removed.

The use of Elgar is, I think, part of the message of the song:

• The globalist is set in alternative future to that of the main story of Drones where the ending is different: it is a variation on that theme. Nimrod is 9th variation in Elgar's Variations on an Original Theme.
  • The dictator refers to himself as "The greatest hunter". Historically, Nimrod is also known as the mighty hunter.
  • Nimrod is also possibly the king who was responsible for the building of the tower of babel, which lead to the division of nations. In the globalist, the protagonist destroys those nations: another variation on an original theme.

The use of Elgar is, I think, part of the message of the song:

• The globalist is set in alternative future to that of the main story of Drones where the ending is different: it is a variation on that theme. Nimrod is 9th variation in Elgar's Variations on an Original Theme.
  • The dictator refers to himself as "The greatest hunter". Historically, Nimrod is also known as the mighty hunter.
  • Nimrod is also possibly the king who was responsible for the building of the tower of babel, which lead to the division of nations. In the globalist, the protagonist destroys those nations: another variation on an original theme.

Wow...I had heard Nimrod before, but hadn't bothered to think about the context before...That's a lot of anecdotal evidence to suggest that Nimrod wasn't just chosen for it's structure. Although I find your first point to be a bit of a stretch, your reasoning checks out with me. I'm going to renege my first complaint about choosing that piece instead of composing. I'd like to think Matt went through a similar thought process.

That's neat, but even then that still would have come through if they had just quoted/alluded rather than done a flat-out cover/rearrangement.

I agree, although Matt may have purposely decided on a variation of the variation to take the point further.