Do you like The Globalist?  

397 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like The Globalist?

• Yes
    • Somewhat
    • No

I'm thinking there's a possibility that The Globalist won't have the whistling or the chair crashing, and that they just did it as a joke for the DVD when it occurred to them that the chord progression was similar or something.

I'm probably wrong though :D

I'm thinking there's a possibility that The Globalist won't have the whistling or the chair crashing, and that they just did it as a joke for the DVD when it occurred to them that the chord progression was similar or something.

I'm probably wrong though :D

I'm starting to hope that more and more, but I don't know anymore. The chair dropping sounds nothing like the gunshots in L'Arena, and Matt's out of tune whereas the original it's actually in tune. But the chord progressions are indeed nearly identical save for some changes in notation and the drum beat that comes soon after is identical to that of L'Arena. I'm just hoping they used the same progressions/drums rather than lift 2 minutes of that and jam it in.

The making of made it seem pretty damn likely the beginning was a cover.

I would assume the rest of the song is original.

That would irk the hell out of me. It just doesn't seem ethical to incorporate it in to their own song without making it obvious it's a cover.

That would irk the hell out of me. It just doesn't seem ethical to incorporate it in to their own song without making it obvious it's a cover.

Well, it is pretty obvious that it's a cover, that's how people spotted it. The only thing that'd make it unethical would be if they didn't credit Morricone, which would probably get them sued as well.

Assuming the banging and whistling is on the album and wasn't just them messing about.

Well, it is pretty obvious that it's a cover, that's how people spotted it. The only thing that'd make it unethical would be if they didn't credit Morricone, which would probably get them sued as well.

Assuming the banging and whistling is on the album and wasn't just them messing about.

The Globalist at least on the Warner/Chappell catalog doesn't credit any other writers besides Matt, maybe they didn't include it.

I think if they are going to include the L'Arena part on the song then they'll use the song as a opener like supremacy with the explosion intro was or in the place where isolated system was as sort of a encore break or something then they come on stage and start playing from the riff count down part. It would seem strange to have such a slowed down part in the middle of a "heavy" set as they said. I like the idea of that anyway

I think if they are going to include the L'Arena part on the song then they'll use the song as a opener like supremacy with the explosion intro was or in the place where isolated system was as sort of a encore break or something then they come on stage and start playing from the riff count down part. It would seem strange to have such a slowed down part in the middle of a "heavy" set as they said. I like the idea of that anyway

I'd hate this because it would axe a presumed 3 minutes out of the song since that riff part is the midsection...

I find it baffling that people still say the globalist beginning is a complete l'arena rip-off and Morricone should be credited. While it's an obvious homage (with the whistling and orchestration and everything) the chord progression and whistling melodies are different (for example L'arena starts with Dm, then moves to G, F and Bb, Muse uses the classic andalusian cadence in the beginning Am G,F,E). They are very similar of course but Morricone would/should be credited only if the melodies were *identical*, right?

I'm not a huge fan of the idea of having the track start with an obvious cover of a piece of score music... I hope my expectations are just low enough that it's not as bad as I think it is.

Or it's really, really short.

And if it's different enough to not be considered the same song, or a "cover" - it's a clear rip off, and that's terribly disappointing.

I find it baffling that people still say the globalist beginning is a complete l'arena rip-off and Morricone should be credited. While it's an obvious homage (with the whistling and orchestration and everything) the chord progression and whistling melodies are different (for example L'arena starts with Dm, then moves to G, F and Bb, Muse uses the classic andalusian cadence in the beginning Am G,F,E). They are very similar of course but Morricone would/should be credited only if the melodies were *identical*, right?

Sure some of the notes may be different but if you described the songs on paper they're literally identical. They even progress the same way as different instruments are added. Acoustic guitar comes in at the same time as a marching drum beat? Really?

Does anyone know if the whistling corresponds with the violin solo extract the Italian guy posted, or even if it fits in to the snippet we've heard?

I'm sure it's a part of the same track. If not, it's either a part of Aftermath or Drones.

Does anyone know if the whistling corresponds with the violin solo extract the Italian guy posted, or even if it fits in to the snippet we've heard?

I think it's part of the ending "piano ballad" section of the song. Notice the same chord progression and key change notably for Chris' bass. The same key change that happened at the end of the "milan strings" IG clip.

Edited by Citizen_Eraser

And if it's different enough to not be considered the same song, or a "cover" - it's a clear rip off, and that's terribly disappointing.

I really don't believe Bellamy thinks he's reached his peaks of originality with this intro. it's obvious from the making of clip as well that he wants us to think of Morricone.

Sure some of the notes may be different but if you described the songs on paper they're literally identical. They even progress the same way as different instruments are added. Acoustic guitar comes in at the same time as a marching drum beat? Really?

Since the notes *are* different (and so is the chord progression up to a point), they cannot be *literally* identical on paper. My comment was referring mostly to the idea that Morricone should be credited on the album. I've already said the orchestration is pretty much the same but personally I don't find that troubling at all. It's kind of cheeky and playful :p

This song would have been a PERFECT album opener. It's the perfect buildup. Or, an album ender.

I reckon they've kicked themselves over this song because being a sort of concept album, they had to keep The Globalist where it fit with the lyrical story.

But can anyone imagine this opening live? :happy:

Edited by rainer219