Drones: Pre-order now available

KirkBot

I don't think so. I paid with PayPal and got confirmation pretty quickly. I'd check with customer service just in case.

Replied to the email that was sent, guess I'll hear on monday. The order shows only account page, just not received confirmation or download.

Have checked spam as well

Comparing this FLAC to how The Resistance FLAC files sounded, which was worse?

The Resistance wasn't available as a flac, the lossless versions of that were .wavs at regular CD resolution - and they were the same files that were used to master the CDs so no different to if you actually got the disc and ripped it back to your own .wav files.

(puts audio snob hat, with added golden ears, on)

The reason why the 2nd Law flacs are generally thought to be more awesome than an awesome thing isn't just because they're 24bit/96k. That's part of the reason they sound better, but the main reason is because they're taken from a pre-final stage of the mastering process, before a load of extra compression was applied that is on the CD versions. The compression artificially turns up only the quieter sounds - so that the difference between 'loud' and 'quiet' gets smaller.

So the T2L flac files aren't mastered 'softer' as such - they still go up to 11 when they're supposed to. The difference is that when you listen to them with the volume cranked, the stuff that's supposed to be really loud, *really is*, and the stuff that's meant to be quiet is also how it's supposed to be. Compared with that, the mix on the CD sounds a bit meh and muddled because it has the extra layer of compression added on afterward. Make sense?:)

is it :nerd:

Is that a question or a statement... ? :p And yeah, *one of*. Like I said, the main reason the T2L flacs sound nicer than the CD is the absence of the final compression. The higher resolution and bit-rate is the icing on the cake:) Bit disappointed we don't seem to be getting the same treat with Drones, but maybe it won't matter if the album itself is mastered a bit more... subtly.

Edited by Citizen Crazed

Preordered the deluxe version yesterday afternoon - received the confirmation email pretty quick but have yet to get a download link for Psycho which is a bit disappointing... Ill hold out hope just now.

Its a shame the FAQ section doesnt work... Ive sent a query through the contact us page but cant say im expecting much from that.