Do you like Dead Inside?  

569 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Dead Inside?

• Yes
    • No

It seems like I'm the only one that enjoys a lot the second half. I love the vocals, and how the drums/bass change during that part. It doesn't have a proper climax like Madness (maybe the "don't leave me out in the cold" part is the most climatic part) but it evolves subtly. I enjoy it a lot more with my headphones on, most of all, Wolstenbeast bass. Dat bass!

It seems like I'm the only one that enjoys a lot the second half. I love the vocals, and how the drums/bass change during that part. It doesn't have a proper climax like Madness (maybe the "don't leave me out in the cold" part is the most climatic part) but it evolves subtly. I enjoy it a lot more with my headphones on, most of all, Wolstenbeast bass. Dat bass!

I also enjoy it, but it'd be better with a proper climax

I actually really like the last verse, especially live. Could've REALLY done without the "I'm the greatest guy" thing..

The chords at the beginning of the second part are boring but the singing makes up for it pretty quickly.

Bass sounds like Glorious/Darkshines at times.

I really like it.

I really liked the live version, a lot more than the album one. And after listening to the first three tracks in order (Dead Inside, Sergeant Drill, Psycho), I started liking it even more. There is a stark musical contrast between both songs, but still some lyrical connection.

I feel like it does have the foundations of a climax and attempts it maybe in a similar way that Madness does but the contrast just isn't there enough to deliver it.

It certainly has the foundations, but I don't think the song attempts to be like Madness. While Madness has the "I need to love" part, Dead Inside doesn't have that "punch" in any of its parts. But it doesn't try to achieve that. It's more gradual, and it doesn't need that climatic part like Madness because the vocals handle very well the second part of the song. Now, I don't know if it would be benefited from a climatic ending, it depends of how they'd do it... Maybe it's strange that they don't do it, because Muse loves climatic endings :LOL: :LOL:

LOVE this song, has some electronic elements to it sure, but I think there used very effectively. And it has some excellent guitar moments, bass is really powerful, drums incredibly piercing and Matt's vocals sound GREAT on this track. While its definitely a very pop kind of song I didn't expect a riff heavy song from the first OFFICIAL single from the album. Very happy with this song, and i'm very pumped for the rest of the album as after hearing 3 songs including the live version of reapers this is already the best 3 song introduction to an album we've had for Muse in quite a while.

Very exciting time to be a MUSE fan.

LOVE this song, has some electronic elements to it sure, but I think there used very effectively. And it has some excellent guitar moments, bass is really powerful, drums incredibly piercing and Matt's vocals sound GREAT on this track. While its definitely a very pop kind of song I didn't expect a riff heavy song from the first OFFICIAL single from the album. Very happy with this song, and i'm very pumped for the rest of the album as after hearing 3 songs including the live version of reapers this is already the best 3 song introduction to an album we've had for Muse in quite a while.

your RANDOM capitalization of CERTAIN words make me want to CLAW my eyes OUT

your RANDOM capitalization of CERTAIN words make me want to CLAW my eyes OUT

Man, it is ROUGH time to be a USER on this MESSAGEBOARD

I quite like the song actually. Some of the lyrics are a bit awkward but they're pretty raw as well. At least, Matt writes a better break-up song than Taylor Swift, not that that's a high compliment. It will be interesting to see how the song fits into the concept of the album.

The Prince comparisons that have popped up in the thread sound about right to me too. For me, the staccato start-and-stop drum pattern and tempo is reminiscent of When Doves Cry. I had to wonder at first if it was even Dom playing versus a drum machine. Dead Inside is certainly not a copy by any means, given Chris' prominent bass-line whereas the Prince song has no bass at all. Still, I caught a similar vibe. Of course, it's also very similar to UD (a song that I never really cared for) but I find Dead Inside to be more powerful.

Not among Muse's best songs but listenable and enjoyable, in my opinion.