Do you like Dead Inside?  

569 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Dead Inside?

• Yes
    • No

Because radio friendly pop Muse back in the day meant TIRO. And this album is supposed to be "back to their roots"

I really don't see this as less than TIRO. In fact it very much reminds me of TIRO. It's got synth pop leaning with some heavy guitar. What's the difference.

:LOL: I imagine myself telling someone Muse is my favorite band and then this comes on the radio and I instantly turn red with embarrassment and try to turn back time or run away...

This song is all cheese no nachos.

This song will be the universal signal for a bathroom break at Muse gigs.

I'm mostly joking but by the Gods...this song is not very good.

I really don't see this as less than TIRO. In fact it very much reminds me of TIRO. It's got synth pop leaning with some heavy guitar. What's the difference.

TIRO was released before muse got bigger than jesus?

EDIT: and in fairness, TIRO is VERY singable; this not so much, more of a track to dance to than sing to

I kind of get the sense that they're trying to progress into a harder, heavier band, but they're a bit reluctant to let go of the fun they've been having with the last few albums. This could well turn out to be a middle album between styles, like BH&R.

Or, maybe they just don't give a shit.

The song?

I kind of get the sense that they're trying to progress into a harder, heavier band, but they're a bit reluctant to let go of the fun they've been having with the last few albums. This could well turn out to be a middle album between styles, like BH&R.

Or, maybe they just don't give a shit.

The song?

I tend to think it's that they don't give a shit, but it also makes total sense. I mean, this is probably the biggest commercially hyped Muse album, largely impart due to Madness (at least in the States).

It doesn't matter if you boil it down to its pieces. TIRO sounds like a rock song. Dead Inside sounds like a pop song. No one could confuse the two in anyway.

That said there are bits of this song that are abit more interesting than TIRO. I'm not saying in the above that TIRO is a better song just that Muse used to be a rock band. I think alot of the newer fans don't realize that when they say "they've always been a pop/pop rock band"

Can see this being a bad single. It's not catchy at all.

I disagree, musically it has been stuck in my head. Plus, it has an awesome beat and is sonically interesting.

While it doesn't have a catchy vocal melody, the rest of the music more than makes up for it IMO.

Because it flip-flops from attempts at darkness to florid bollocks with painful earnestness. It's like Brandon Flowers lyrics.

since when were muse lyrics good :LOL:

EDIT: honestly idk what to think of the song, i'll fuckinnggg tryyyy to reserve my judgement till i listen to the whole of Drones at once.. it being a conceptual album after all

I think it's catchier than Madness. First time I heard Madness I don't even like it, I found it pretty boring the first 2, 3 minutes. This is like an upbeat version of Madness, plus, the "Dead Inside" and synth parts are very distinctive. They're stuck in my head, more than the "Ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma" beats in Madness

But I don't think that Muse's poppier songs are catchy enough to be a super-hit..

Edited by topo_musero

It doesn't matter if you boil it down to its pieces. TIRO sounds like a rock song. Dead Inside sounds like a pop song. No one could confuse the two in anyway.

That said there are bits of this song that are abit more interesting than TIRO. I'm not saying in the above that TIRO is a better song just that Muse used to be a rock band. I think alot of the newer fans don't realize that when they say "they've always been a pop/pop rock band"

Muse were never a "rock" band by conventional definition. I've always put them in the "alternative" category. Be honest, they have a lot more groovy, laid back songs than they do straight up rockers like Stockholm Syndrome, Hysteria, Agitated, and Time is Running Out (all of which I would consider "rock" songs).

The crown jewels to "old" Muse fans (Citizen Erased, Muscle Museum, Bliss, Screenager, etc.) are NOT conventional rock songs by any means. That's what, in my opinion, makes Muse so great. They dabble in everything and aren't afraid to be ridiculous from time to time.

Muse were never a "rock" band by conventional definition. I've always put them in the "alternative" category. Be honest, they have a lot more groovy, laid back songs than they do straight up rockers like Stockholm Syndrome, Hysteria, Agitated, and Time is Running Out (all of which I would consider "rock" songs).

The crown jewels to "old" Muse fans (Citizen Erased, Muscle Museum, Bliss, Screenager, etc.) are NOT conventional rock songs by any means. That's what, in my opinion, makes Muse so great. They dabble in everything and aren't afraid to be ridiculous from time to time.

But back then it was different. You can't compare anything in your () to these new pop songs the past 3 or 4 albums. It's not even about heaviness or rock'ness to me. Take RBS and Hoodoo for example. Two songs I'd confidently put in Muse's top ten.