Do you like Dead Inside?  

569 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Dead Inside?

• Yes
    • No

Could someone explain to me why so many people keep comparing it to Madness and not Undisclosed Desires? It has WAY more in common with UD than Madness.

Because you can't deny the similarities

as with Psycho sounding similar to Uprising.

It's like, if the sound of 'Madness' was a music genre, Dead Inside would fit perfectly in it.

I don't think it has anything to do with new vs. old fans. I think it has more to do with the fact that, generally speaking, over their career, Muse's music has been diverse (enough) to attract a wide variety of music fans. I think everyone has their own idea of who Muse "are" based on what got them into the band in the first place.

I completely understand why a lot of fans of Muse would hate this song, and I completely understand why a lot of fans would really enjoy it. Can't please everyone. I for one, am extremely please with what they have released thus far, because, besides from Big Freeze and Supremecy, I was NOT a fan of T2L.

Best way to put it

Hey there, me the lurker again... i find this song sounds like Undisclosed desires with the drumming power of Panic Station with the Madness climax just stuck on. It doesn't build the same way as Madness, i think it'd be better with a breakdown like UD's

Edited by GrandOmegaBoss

I think what a lot of people have to remember is that this song is just the first single - which is always going to be the most commercially viable song for radio and even though it's not a heavy riff with lots of synthy arpeggios and shit the lyrics are still pretty dark towards the last minute and a half and the vocal delivery is once again spot on by matt

Because you can't deny the similarities

as with Psycho sounding similar to Uprising.

It's like, if the sound of 'Madness' was a music genre, Dead Inside would fit perfectly in it.

- Undisclosed Desires and Dead Inside are both in C minor. Madness is in B flat major.

- They both have a Depeche Mode vibe to them

- They both have much more prominent multi-track/vocoder vocals than Madness does.

- They both feature bass lines with a lot more space in between the notes than Madness' bass line has

- Undisclosed Desires and Dead Inside are both in C minor. Madness is in B flat major.

- They both have a Depeche Mode vibe to them

- They both have much more prominent multi-track/vocoder vocals than Madness does.

- They both feature bass lines with a lot more space in between the notes than Madness' bass line has

Yeah, i didn't say it doesn't sound like UD. I think structurally is more like madness, while sonically it is more like UD. But for me is like a perfect mix of both.

Minus the things that made both songs interesting.

I think they were so close with this one. If they had made the bass punchier on the verse like in the live version, we'd be talking about a classic muse bass sound. And like someone earlier said, the second half needed a hook. It really does sound like Matt was making it up as he went along.

Speaking of which, I hate that Matt keeps writing songs that he can't sing live. I get why he does it, I just find it kind of annoying. I think this will be a great live album.

I think with more listens, Im better able to understand and appreciate the song. Was pretty shocked/surprised(?) on my first listen because i did wake up earlier than usual to give it a listen before heading off for work. felt like NIN/U2/Depache Mode had a baby and this song was it. just take away the goddamn drill sergeant snippet and the buildup isnt that bad after all. but like what fabri said, its an average track and i hope the other songs can match up to reapers, probably the most impressive track from drones as of today.

also, the lyric video is great, barring the font used.

I don't think I'm quite as fond of this as Madness and Undisclosed Desires, as I find the former of those to be like the perfect pop song and a genius fusion of EDM and rock sounds and I find the latter to be supremely catchy and instrumentally inventive, but I still love this track, quite possibly one of Matt's best vocal performances.

Yeah, i didn't say it doesn't sound like UD. I think structurally is more like madness, while sonically it is more like UD. But for me is like a perfect mix of both.

Minus the things that made both songs interesting.

Yeah I guess I do see what you're saying and that's a good point. I just feel like "a song that builds up" could be used to describe the structure of lots of Muse songs. I do see the similarity and I totally get what you're saying but I just think it's weird how Madness is the first thing that is coming to so many people's minds rather than UD or MOTP

wouldn't it be awesome if one of the tracks on the new album went full on NIN inspired rather than just a tinge? Or a Marilyn Manson inspired track would be pretty cool to see Muse do too! :D

I could see Muse maybe doing something Pretty Hate Machine-esque. Or maybe even something like Hesitation Marks. But The Downward Spiral or The Fragile? I can't really picture it.

The more I listen to it, the more I am convinced it should have had slap bass.

Who agrees with me?

That song already exists, it's called Undisclosed Desires.

Jokes aside, it would sound too similar, but yes, it would have sounded good.

But i think they don't like slap bass a lot? didn't they make fun of it in the making of The Resistance?