Do you like Psycho?  

503 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Psycho?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Well I got up late, and now I've given it a bunch of listens.

Muse do dark and heavy like no other, and it's amazing to hear a return to form in that regard. Lyrically it's a bit naff but very fun overall; cheese isn't a consideration when the music's this good.

Can definitely hear some QotSA parallels with those awesome harmonies. The use of orchestral backing is spot on, and the guitar work was good, but from what Matt said I expected the "solo" to be a bit more technical.

Overall I'm really happy with it, and keen to hear where the rest of the album's headed.

Edited by Espectro Cuatro

The lyrics are so full of shit, even in comparison to NSC.

The world is broken

And halos fail to glisten

You try to make a difference

But no one wants to listen

Hail, the preachers, fake and proud

Their doctrines will becloud

Then they'll dissipate

Like snowflakes in an ocean

Now it's like they don't even try anymore.

The point is that the military is one of the things that brainwashes people.

I don't really feel like it is referring to the military personally. Seems more like MK Ultra assassin stuff in the lyrics (Not the songs) than it does about the army. But I guess we'll understand more when the whole album comes out as it seems the songs will be connected. Though that is another reason I don't think it's about the army.

The point is that the military is one of the things that brainwashes people.

shortly yes

On the long term it is about Isis, USA, Russia, general social behaviour. This Interview explains it a lot and Psycho makes much more sense thinking of the topics which had an influence on Matt during the creation

So I've been listening to it since the video initially posted. Pre-ordered and got the actual track.

I'm going to give it a solid 8.5/10.

- Solid production and tones all around.

- Vocal delivery is stellar.

- The drill Sargent is a bit irritating after a bit, but makes contextual sense (so happy the intro one isn't in the actual track).

- Lyrics are a bit so-so yet delivery makes up for it and than some.

- This will no doubt be a beast live.

Can't wait for Dead Inside and the rest of the album. :)

EDIT:

In context to the rest of the album it sounds like our protagonist, lets call him Steve, has either:

- been converted and is now converting others into drones and this is his perspective

- or is in the process of being converted and this song is in the view of the person converting our poor buddy Steve

Agree, should be super heavy live.

Could it work as an opener? (Psycho Tour after all) Visuals and extended drill sergeant audio getting the Muse army psyched up shouting 'Aye Sir' before the band come on stage and launch into the riff?

The lyrics are so full of shit, even in comparison to NSC.

The world is broken

And halos fail to glisten

You try to make a difference

But no one wants to listen

Hail, the preachers, fake and proud

Their doctrines will becloud

Then they'll dissipate

Like snowflakes in an ocean

Now it's like they don't even try anymore.

Have been on mu?

Agree, should be super heavy live.

Could it work as an opener? (Psycho Tour after all) Visuals and extended drill sergeant audio getting the Muse army psyched up shouting 'Aye Sir' before the band come on stage and launch into the riff?

Yeah, I think it would be a good one, but haven't heard Dead Inside yet

In context to the rest of the album it sounds like our protagonist, lets call him Steve, has either:

- been converted and is now converting others into drones and this is his perspective

- or is in the process of being converted and this song is in the view of the person converting our poor buddy Steve

Great! You now have me imagining Steve from Blue's Clues joining the Marines and having the drill sergeant shouting things at him like "I bet you're the kind of guy who would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around.".

Poor Steve indeed.

Furygirl,

I will not be able to sleep or have some sense of closure, if I do not a give Psycho a second listen with my much better sound / speaker system at full blast and not in a work environment. I owe all of you an apology. The sergeant drill bits was the one ruined it for me on first listen and the one which gave me that The 2nd Law vibe/lame Pop feel. Earlier, it was the song Uprising that I thought was all over in this song. Could not really detect it, on second listening at full blast. Before I listened to it again, I put The Resistance in my record player - I was ready to comeback here, and declare that Psycho is a sort of stripped-down version of Uprising with a cringe-worthy voice over, The 2nd Law style.

I am neutral to Psycho after 2nd listening - maybe more leaning to the side of I like it, because the only thing I still cannot get over with is the sergeant drill bits. Not a big fan (yet) of Matt's vocals and the song's melody/tunes which reminded me a bit on first listening of SMBH which I am not a huge fan too. I was a fool for hearing a mishmash or bits of the 3 Muse albums I like the least or hated. Shockingly on second listen, it sounded much fresher (so different that on 3rd listen, don't be surprised of a 360 on Matt's effort here). Yeah, maybe, it was the bass and drums ...

Furygirl,

I will not be able to sleep or have some sense of closure, if I do not a give Psycho a second listen with my much better sound / speaker system at full blast and not in a work environment. I owe all of you an apology. The sergeant drill bits was the one ruined it for me on first listen and the one which gave me that The 2nd Law vibe/lame Pop feel. Earlier, it was the song Uprising that I thought was all over in this song. Could not really detect it, on second listening at full blast. Before I listened to it again, I put The Resistance in my record player - I was ready to comeback here, and declare that Psycho is a sort of stripped-down version of Uprising with a cringe-worthy voice over, The 2nd Law style.

I am neutral to Psycho after 2nd listening - maybe more leaning to the side of I like it, because the only thing I still cannot get over with is the sergeant drill bits. Not a big fan (yet) of Matt's vocals and the song's melody/tunes which reminded me a bit on first listening of SMBH which I am not a huge fan too. I was a fool for hearing a mishmash or bits of 3 my least favorite Muse albums. Shockingly on second listen, it sounded much fresher (so different that on 3rd listen, don't be surprised of a 360 on Matt's effort here). Yeah, maybe, it was the bass and drums ...

Oh my god you sound like such a cunt

Am I the only one hearing some of the distorted lyrics as 'I'm gonna rape you'?

yeah it's definitely make and break i'm pretty sure

The only part i'm not sold on is the "SHOW ME YOUR WAR FACE" "AHHHHHH" sorta thing in the middle but hey I can't complain, the song's heavy, vocal melodies are awesome, there's not huge amounts of cheesiness and it's a far cry better than much of the 2nd Law and the Resistance

How close was it to what everyone expected?

Was pretty spot on for me, in particular the first minute was almost exactly what I imagined it would be.

I expected the 03050 riff to have been changed up a bit which i was correct on but I didn't expect the verses or the little jazzy bass fills